Man stabbed in parking lot beneath Lower Sproul Plaza

The stabbing occurred in a parking garage under Lower Sproul Plaza.
Anna Vignet/Senior Staff

A man was stabbed Tuesday afternoon in the garage beneath Lower Sproul Plaza, sending him to a local hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
At about 2:57 p.m., the victim was collecting recyclables in the garage and talking to a male suspect. The suspect allegedly disagreed with the victim over the use of the proceeds from the recyclables and proceeded to allegedly stab the victim with a knife.

According to UCPD Captain Margo Bennett, both the victim and the suspect appeared to be homeless individuals who were collecting recyclables in the northeast corner of the garage. The conflict arose when the victim told the suspect that he should not be spending his money made from recycling on drugs, she said.

The suspect then became angry and challenged the victim, saying, “You wanna fight, you wanna fight.” The victim allegedly attempted to step back, according to Bennett, but the suspect stepped toward the victim and stabbed him with a folding utility knife before leaving the garage.

According to the crime alert, UCPD, Berkeley and BART police officers searched the area but were unable to locate the suspect.
Bennett said the victim sustained two injuries — one cut to the top of his left middle finger, between the first and second knuckles, and a stab wound on the right side of his upper torso, just below his right armpit.

Roughly 13 seconds after receiving the call, UCPD dispatched an officer, who arrived on the scene at approximately 3 p.m. and administered first aid until the Berkeley Fire Department arrived at 3:06 p.m. and transported the victim to Highland General Hospital in Oakland, according to Bennett.

The suspect is described as a male, approximately 40 years old, 6 feet 2 inches tall, with brown uncombed hair and a skinny to muscular build,   unshaven, wearing silver-framed eyeglasses, a short-sleeved shirt and pants. According to the alert, the suspect also had a road bike with him and speaks with a speech impairment.

Allie Bidwell is the news editor.