Former Berkeley High School student found dead

A former Berkeley High School student was found dead in her dorm room at Bennington College in Vermont on Thursday, though the cause of her death is still unknown.

The Bennington Banner, a Vermont newspaper, reported that the cause of death for 18-year-old Emily Kassier, who graduated from Berkeley High School in 2010, is still under investigation. According to the article, police are currently looking into whether alcohol or an on-campus party they believe Kassier attended were contributing factors in her death.

In a statement released by the high school, Kassier supposedly died of a seizure, though no other information could be provided as of press time.

“We got that information from one of our teachers who knew family,” said Richard Ng, the principal’s assistant at the high school. “The teacher was pretty shaken up.”

Katie Nelson is an assistant news editor.

• Anonymous

None of this is true; the Bennington Banner is a despicably terrible news source. Emily did not attend any party that night; she’d been spending time with friends at a friend’s apartment. She had not been drinking, and she was not found dead. Emily suffered a seizure, was taken to the hospital while unconscious, then suffered another seizure at the hospital and passed away AT the hospital. It’s sad that the Banner would use information that qualifies as legitimate slander and unsubstantiated rumor in any context, much less one as tragic as this. 

• Anonymous

somewhat more detailed:
    http://www.benningtonbanner.com/ci_18195423
    the Bennington administration and police have no problem lying to the press,
    so in that respect it sounds a lot like Cal (Rees is admin, Doucette is 5-0):

When asked Thursday afternoon whether students
    notify the school or register on-campus parties with the school, Rees
    said, “Yes, absolutely.” He also said a party was registered Wednesday
    night. But during a follow up conversation later in the afternoon, Rees
    said he had misspoken about the practice of registering parties.
    “There’s no such thing as registered parties,” he said. Doucette said it appears there is some type of on-campus party registration system.
    “There was apparently some notice given to the
    school that there was going to be a party, but I’m sure that Bennington
    College does not condone underage drinking or drug use,” Doucette said.
    “One would think that with the party being registered, that perhaps
    security would have checked on that. But at this point, it’s too early
    to tell what role college security played in this because the
    investigation is ongoing.”
    The college works diligently to keep students safe through campus security checks and self-governing among students, Rees said.
    The college has a “very thorough process of campus security
    making routine and regular, and non-routine checks on student houses
    throughout the campus on a 24-hour basis,” Rees said.