Two men injured in South Berkeley shooting

06.06.shooting.VIGNET
Anna Vignet/Senior Staff

When Berkeley police responded to reports of a shooting on the 1500 block of Fairview Street in South Berkeley Friday night, they found two men suffering from injuries sustained that night.

At about 10 p.m., a group of young men were socializing in front of an apartment building on the block when the Berkeley Police Department received several calls reporting hearing possible gunshots, according to a statement from the department.

Officers found two men with non-life-threatening injuries — one 26-year-old who had suffered wounds from gunfire and one 24-year-old who had been hit in the face with an object, according to the statement.

The victims were allegedly confronted by a group of young male suspects, one of whom allegedly took out a gun and began shooting before the suspects fled on foot.

According to the statement, though it is early in the investigation, the department believes the shooting was not random.

Paramedics from the Berkeley Fire Department transported the victims to a local hospital for treatment and assessment.

A presentation given by the department at a City Council work session April 26 with statistics compiled from 2009, 2010 and the early months of 2011 showed a downward trend in crime rates for Berkeley.

According to the report, the number of “Part One” crimes — which include violent crimes, property crimes and arson — decreased 9 percent between 2009 and 2010.

Violent crimes include murder, rape, robbery and aggravated assault.

Though the total number of violent crimes decreased 14 percent between 2009 and 2010, the presentation did show an increase in some types of crimes, including individual reports of arson and violent crime between January and March of 2010 and 2011.

Allie Bidwell is the news editor.