Berkeley police find car submerged in South Aquatic Park

A Nissan Maxima was found submerged in the south end of the South Aquatic Park in Berkeley on June 7, though no one was found inside the car and no injuries were reported.

At approximately 7:33 a.m., a man had pulled over his car to make a phone call by the water when he noticed a vehicle was submerged in the water just north of the roadway, according to a statement released by the Berkeley Police Department.

Both Berkeley police and the Berkeley Fire Department responded to the incident, and after police officers began to search the area on foot for any witnesses or injured individuals, the fire department “used their tools to devise a plan” to gain access to the car and were able to check the passenger compartments, according to the statement.

According to the report, the car — a dark blue 1995 Nissan Maxima — did not contain any victims. An officer spoke with a man who had supposedly been in his car in a parking area close to the water, and the man stated he had been there for approximately 45 minutes before 7:30 a.m. and had not noticed the car, the statement reads.

After the fire department was able to retrieve the vehicle from the water, Berkeley police completed research on the car’s California license plate and discovered the vehicle was registered in the city of San Francisco, and after further investigation learned the vehicle belonged to a woman who lived in the Potrero District in San Francisco, who had not realized the car had been stolen, according to the statement.

The car was then towed to a storage lot and was examined by a crime scene investigator from the police department and, as of press time, Berkeley police had not been able to locate any witnesses who saw the car go into the water or been able to identify a suspect in the case.

Katie Nelson is an assistant news editor.