First Lady visits Bay Area for re-election campaigning

Approximately 250 guests dined on baked eggs, berries and organic coffee at a brunch with First Lady Michelle Obama at the Claremont Hotel today in the first of two stops in the Bay Area for the first lady in her round of campaigning efforts for her husband’s re-election.

Following a half-hour speech that focused on her husband’s goals for his second term, Mrs. Obama attended a luncheon at the Julia Morgan Ballroom in the Merchants Exchange building in San Francisco.

Despite several attempts to gain access into the breakfast at the Claremont, The Daily Californian was unable to attend the event without purchasing a ticket — for which prices began at $1,000.

Upon hearing word of Mrs. Obama’s impending visit last week, The Daily Cal contacted The Office of the First Lady to try and gain access inside the event. Over the course of a four-day discussion via email and by phone, the office eventually told The Daily Cal the following on June 9:

“Good morning,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the First Lady’s visit to the Bay Area. Unfortunately, the First Lady’s events in San Francisco and Oakland on June 14, 2011 will be print pool only.

Thank you for your interest,

Press Office of the First lady”
Local news website Berkeleyside did purchase a ticket to attend the event, according to the site’s post.

According to the Oakland Tribune, which also attended the event, proceeds generated from the event supported the president’s re-election campaign as well as the Democratic National Committee. Ticket prices ranged from $1,000 to $25,000.

J.D. Morris is an assistant news editor.