Why size does(n’t) matter

Sex on Monday

sexonmonday

While the sentiment of “I’ve never measured my cock, I figure I couldn’t do anything about it anyway” is certainly better than an unreasonable obsession with size, I am more of a fan of know what you’ve got, and work it.

Penis size matters, but probably not in the way that most people think.

The saying “it’s not the size of the worm, it’s the way it wriggles” always gives me uncomfortable mental images, but the meaning is spot on. Size only matters because it tells you the way you ought to be wriggling.

The men who have measured seem to only go for length. In the conclusion of the Ansell Research study on penis size, they pointed out that in every study where medical professionals measured a man’s penis, average length was below six inches. Let men measure their own, and length jumps above six inches.

Now, I’m not claiming that a random person coming at you with a measuring tape isn’t going to be a little wilting, but it seems a little suspicious.

Women, on the other hand, really only notice length in the negative sense. Longer isn’t always better.

Certain positions, like doggy style, combined with a longer-than-average cock are likely to end with the girl being rammed in the cervix.

This is not a fun thing.

Making sure you spend time on foreplay is a good idea for everyone and can help avoid painful incidence if you are longer than average. When aroused, a woman’s vagina lengthens and the cervix retracts, which means there is more room for a longer cock than if the arousal process is truncated.

To start with, missionary tends to not irritate, and girl on top allows her to control angle and depth of penetration, as well as offering the best chance for orgasm in general. It’s in the more acrobatic positions that things get hairy.

If a position ends with your partner in pain, there are a few tricks to try. The first and easiest is to control how deeply you thrust. This may take more attention than you have in the midst of sex. The second option is to get a cock ring designed to keep you from penetrating as deeply. Cock rings add an element of technicality to the encounter, but they can allow a man to enjoy positions that would otherwise be off limits.

For men who trend in the other direction as far as length, from behind is a position that allows deep penetration along with access to both breasts and clitoris, so take advantage and she won’t be thinking of length at all.

In fact, she probably wouldn’t notice anyway. According to one penis size preference chart floating around the Internet, a chart from all appearances designed expressly to give men a size complex, the ideal length for a penis ranges from 7.25 to 8.5 inches. Considering the vast majority of penises are 5.5 to 6.3 inches, it seems like there must be a lot of disappointed women in the world. Not to mention the fact that things can get a little hairy as far as cervix bumping goes starting well short of 7 inches.

The reported preferred girth is 6 to 6.5 inches. Average is 4.9 inches, with the majority falling from 4.7 to 5.1 inches. To put that reported preferred girth in perspective, 6 inches is also the average size of a woman’s wrist. Given the rarity of the super large penis, it makes me wonder who exactly “The Authentic Woman’s Penis Size Preference Chart” was polling. I’m pretty inclined to just chalk it up to bad estimation skills.

That’s not to downplay the importance of girth. In fact, more women are going to speak positively of an above average girth than the super long penis that guys seem most concerned with.

But again, size isn’t king. The benefit of girth is that it makes it easier to get G-spot stimulation, no matter the position. If you don’t have that advantage, just concentrate on positions that have the penis rubbing against the front wall of the vagina. Putting a pillow under her hips during missionary can help keep her pelvis tilted and the fun bits in range.

In fact, most positions, with a little modification, can have any size penis rubbing the right way, and conversely, the wrong way too. Girth doesn’t get you out of knowing what you are doing.

And whether your partner thinks you are too big or too small, a dildo that fits size preference exactly can be used.

That is really what the whole size issue comes down to: preference. And orgasm washes that right out the window. Big, small or right in the middle of the pack, technique and care matter far more than something you really can’t do anything about.