ASUC Auxiliary Director Nadesan Permaul is retiring

The following message regarding the retirement of ASUC Auxiliary Director Nadesan Permaul was sent to the campus community this morning:

We are announcing today the retirement of Dr. Nadesan Permaul, the Director of the A.S.U.C. Auxiliary.  Nad has been employed at Berkeley for 33 years during which he has held responsibilities at the Department of Recreational Sports, the Physical Plant, UCPD, Parking & Transportation and the A.S.U.C. Auxiliary.  He was associated with the construction and opening of the Rec Sports Facility, was the first Emergency Preparedness Officer and created the program, brought the Class Pass and Bear Pass to the campus along with construction of parking at Lawrence Hall of Science, Lower Hearst, and the new Underhill Field and Parking.

Since 2006 at the A.S.U.C. the following was achieved:  1) passage of the B.E.A.R.S. Referendum;  2) 2009-10 Agreement between the G.A. and A.S.U.C. student governments; 3) renovation of the Bear’s Lair Food Court and the student Union Lobby;  4) return of commercial computer sales to the A.S.U.C., 5) an agreement to preserve the A.S.U.C. archives at the Bancroft Library;  5) the seismic retrofit of Eshleman and Martin Luther King, Jr. Union;  6) a marketing and communications program for the A.S.U.C.; 7) initiated review of the Beverage contract for the Berkeley campus; 8) dramatic restoration of A.S.U.C. Events and reservation services and revenues; and 9) working with student leaders and campus administrators to draft a possible new Charter for the A.S.U.C. Store Operations Board.  These came along with an effective working relationship with student government under the Commercial Activities Agreement of 1998.  His goal as Director was to enhance the role of student leadership in the life of the campus.

Nad was President of the California Alumni Association from 2003-05, the Alumni Secretary of the Order of the Golden Bear for almost ten years, and has taught in the Departments of Rhetoric, Sociology and Political Science for almost twenty years.  Nad earned three academic degrees in Political Science from Cal, and will continue to teach after he retires.  Nad will be working on projects for the A.S.U.C. through September 1, 2011.

On behalf of the campus and student government, we wish him all the best as he transitions to the next phase of his Blue and Gold career, and thank him for a career of dedicated service to his alma mater.

Vishalli Loomba
A.S.U.C. President

Bahar  Navab
G.A.  President

Ron T. Coley
Associate Vice Chancellor
Business and Administrative Services