Choosing the Right Condom Size

Sex on Tuesday

Even though size does(n’t) matter, there are times when you need to know what you are working with.  Buying condoms is one of those times.

While the video of a condom being stretched over someone’s head is impressive, and does rather invalidate the statement “I’m too big for condoms,” it doesn’t really take into account friction.  While a condom might happily stretch over any penis, when you add in the rather important in and out of sex, just being able to get the condom on doesn’t cover it.

If an ultra-thin condom is stretched over a very girthy penis (think past the 5.3” upper end of standard), it means that the material is thinner and friction of sex makes it more likely to break.

Normal condoms may still be a trick to get on someone especially large, but they won’t break.  So if you are stocking up on condoms before really knowing the size of your partner, head down to the Tang Center and pick up 10 Trojan ENZ for $2.

Trojan ENZ are my favorite general-use condom because, comparatively speaking, they are very stretchy.  That means that, if needed, you can wrestle the thing onto any penis.

If you know that normal condoms will be more than a little snug, the Tang Center also has Trojan Magnums and Kimono Maxx for $2.50 for a bag of 10.  The extra $0.50 may save some headache.

As far as sizing in the other direction, the less girthy will likely appreciate ultra-thin condoms.  Putting less stretch on the latex means that you aren’t thinning it out all that much, so starting with less material adds more sensation.  The Kimono Ultra-thins, $2.00 for 10, at the Tang Center should fit the bill.

If you have issues with condoms slipping off, the Kimono condoms are often said to have a snugger fit than Trojans.  If problems with slipping still occur, there are several online retailers that have samplers for snugger fit condoms.  Added benefit: not all of them say snugger fit, so you don’t have to advertise.

Another consideration for condoms has nothing to do with size.  Latex allergies do exist, but so do condoms that are as effective as latex.  Unfortunately, the Tang Center may not be the best place to buy them.  At $9.00 for 6, it is definitely pricier than latex.

If you know you have a latex allergy, online retailers have several brands to choose from, many cheaper per condom than Tang Center.

Milk allergies can also be aggravated by condoms.  If your problems with milk only occur with ingestion, you are fine to use normal condoms.  If you have a contact allergy to milk, then normal condoms could aggravate that.  Latex is produced using the milk protein casein, which makes them both non-vegan and a possible irritant to anyone with milk allergies.  Good Vibes, on San Pablo Avenue and Dwight Way, offers vegan condoms if you want a local source.  Several online retailers also offer several vegan brands of condoms to try if you want to avoid casein due to philosophy or physical irritation.

In general, if you are stocking up before you know your partner’s penis, get Trojan ENZ.  But if you are already familiar with the penis the condom is going on, know it and buy accordingly.

Image Source: Erica Chase

• Frank

New super-stretchy condoms as of last year: SKYN polyisoprene.  At 5.5in circumference, the Skyn Large are perfect for me, and feel notably thinner / better sensation / slicker than any other large condom I’d ever tried.  If your gal has a latex allergy, give ’em a try.  The Skyn Large is all I’m buying until something better comes along.

• if I may mention one more Vegan condoms brands- Glyde Condoms, they are available in most online condom stores:
    http://www.condom-sizes.org/vegan-condoms/vegan-condoms

• Best thing to do – if your a complete noob, is buy a load of different brands or get some for free from your local planned parenthood and go home and TRY SOME ONE before it’s too late!