Senior Ryan Landis selected as chair of ASUC Store Operations Board

landis.mug
Ryan Landis/Courtesy

Ryan Landis was unanimously voted chair of the ASUC Store Operations Board at the July 7 board meeting.

Landis, who will be a senior in the fall in the UC Berkeley Haas School of Business, served on the board last year as an undergraduate representative.

“Ryan seemed like a natural pick because he’s the only student who has been on the board for over a year,” said Hedy Chen, an undergraduate representative on the board and a member of The Daily Californian’s Board of Operations.

She added that the role of chair is important in terms of organization and coordination of the board.

“Even if negotiations get heated, (Ryan) is always very calm and looks at things very objectively,” Chen said. “As chair you have to be able to know when to cut things off. You also have to keep things in decorum.”

The board — composed of students, faculty and staff — oversees the Cal Student Store, the Student Union, Anthony and Eshleman Hall’s building operations, the ASUC Art Studio, and other income-producing activities in Lower Sproul Plaza. The board has been involved in the renovation of the plaza and is in the process of reviewing the completed schematic design plans before the developmental phase of the project begins, according to Vishalli Loomba, ASUC president.

Landis was in New York and not in attendance at the meeting when he was voted chair. He said that he will be able to represent the students and provide a space for his peers to share their thoughts.

“We’re really trying to make sure that people are more aware of what is going on with the board,” Landis said. “We really do have an open door policy, but I think that’s not necessarily accessed enough.”

In May 2009, the board forgave the Daily Cal a portion of its rent for the office it leases. As a result of that agreement, a nonpolitical student member of the board, currently Chen, sits on the Daily Cal’s Board of Operations, which has no control over the paper’s editorial content.