South Berkeley shooting under investigation

Berkeley police officers are investigating circumstances surrounding a shooting that occurred in South Berkeley Friday afternoon.

At about 2:25 p.m., a group of men were standing in the parking lot of Stanford Liquors in the 3400 block of King Street, according to a statement from Berkeley Police Department spokesperson Sgt. Mary Kusmiss.

A black sports utility vehicle was heading westbound on Stanford Avenue and made a northbound turn onto King Street when the suspect allegedly pulled out a semi-automatic pistol and shot the vehicle numerous times.

The suspect is described as an adult male in his twenties with long dreadlocks, wearing a black and red Cincinnati Reds baseball cap, a black t-shirt and jeans.

The suspect and two other adult males fled the scene westbound on Stanford Avenue in a newer white four-door sedan, which was followed by a white two-door Acura Integra, according to the statement.

After community members reported hearing gunshots in the neighborhood, more than a dozen Berkeley police officers responded to the scene and the areas around it, the statement reads.

The BPD Crime Against Persons/Homicide Detail responded to the scene and are in the process of conducting a follow-up investigation. As of 3:30 p.m. Monday, no victims or injured individuals have been identified.

Allie Bidwell is the news editor.