ASUC Auxiliary financial services manager appointed interim director

Dean of Students Jonathan Poullard announced Monday the appointment of Marilyn Stager as the interim director for the ASUC Auxiliary.

Stager, currently the financial services manager for the Auxiliary, will begin Sept. 1 and will replace Nadesan Permaul, who retired June 29.

Stager has served as the financial services manager for the Auxiliary since September 2007 and previously worked as an ASUC controller from 1994 to 1998.

Stager said there are plans to appoint a new permanent director by next January so that the new director would be involved as the Auxiliary continues its transition from Administration and Finance to the Division of Student Affairs.

According to Stager, when Poullard approached her last week asking if she would like to be the interim director of the Auxiliary, she said she would “be glad to help the ASUC.”

Stager said she believes she was appointed because of her extensive relationship with the UC Berkeley campus.
“Since it is such a short term, they wanted someone who was familiar with what is going on within the ASUC and ASUC Auxiliary,” she said.

According to ASUC President Vishalli Loomba, both she and Graduate Assembly President Bahar Navab were consulted in the decision to hire Stager as the interim director.

The recommendation came from Felicia Lee, chief of staff for the campus Office of Student Affairs, Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Harry Le Grande and Poullard, Loomba said.

“They gave us the recommendation, and we both felt that her work in the Auxiliary and experience from student affairs would make her a great fit,” Loomba said.

ASUC Executive Vice President Christopher Alabastro said though he was not involved in the decision, he feels comfortable under Stager’s direction.

“In the past, I worked with Stager on some of the initiatives that I wanted to start,” Alabastro said. “I am pretty comfortable because she has been working with us, and her institutional knowledge makes her very qualified for the position.”

Though the ASUC Senate was not directly involved in Stager’s appointment, ASUC Senator-elect Shahryar Abbasi said he hopes that he and other ASUC senators will be included in the decision to hire the permanent director.

Loomba said the hiring process for the permanent director will involve a national search extending outside just university staff members. The hiring committee will include students, but the exact composition has yet to be decided, she said.

In the meantime, Stager will continue her position as the financial services manager and intends to receive directorial guidance from Permaul after he returns from his vacation in August, Stager said.

Stager will be assuming the interim director role when the Lower Sproul Plaza renovation project and the Auxiliary realignment are at the forefront of the agenda, she said.

“I’m looking forward to be the interim director — it should be a very interesting experience,” Stager said. “I am very appreciative to work for the ASUC during this transitionary time.”