Crime blotter: Week of July 10

The following is a sample of crime in  Berkeley this week, provided by the Berkeley Police Department.

Stolen Car – Ward & Grant Streets

A Berkeley man said he parked his car at the intersection of Ward and Grant Streets on Sunday, July 10 at about 9:00 p.m. When he went to move it on Tuesday, July 12, 2011 at 10:00 p.m., the 2002 Cadillac Escalade was missing. No one had permission to take the car and he had the keys. The BPD officer documented the crime and entered the plate into the Stolen Vehicle System, a national searchable database for stolen cars and plates.

Vandalism to Vehicle – 2800 block of Seventh Street

A City of Novato man reported to a BPD officer that he parked his 2000 green Subaru Outback in a parking lot in the 2800 block of Seventh Street on Tuesday July 12, 2011 at about 4:00 p.m. He said that all the doors were locked and there was no damage to his car. When he returned to his Outback at 6:20 p.m., the right rear passenger window was smashed out, but he did not find anything inside the car missing.

Theft of Catalytic Converter -1600 block of Ashby Avenue

Sometime between 6:00 p.m. on July 11 and 6:30 a.m. on July 12, 2011, a suspect or suspects stole a 1999 Toyota Tacoma catalytic converter from a Berkeley man’s truck. The community member told the BPD officer that he parked his Toyota truck in the unsecured apartment complex parking lot where he lives in the 1600 block of Ashby Avenue. The next morning, he tried to start his truck and heard a loud noise coming from underneath. He looked and saw that his catalytic converter had been cut and removed from his muffler.

Theft of Motorcycle plate – 1500 block of Holly Street

A San Francisco man parked his 2005 Suzuki motorcycle on July 30th in the 1500 block of Holly Street. On Tuesday, July 12, 2011 when he went to ride it at about 8:00 p.m., he saw that the his rear license plate was missing. He called BPD to make a theft report. The BPD officer documented the crime and entered the plate into the Stolen Vehicle System, a national searchable database for stolen cars and plates.

Armed Pedestrian Robbery – 2500 block of Stuart Street

A 24 year old woman was walking home on Tuesday, July 12, 2011 at 9:10 p.m. She was in the 2500 block of Stuart Street when two men walked up to her from behind. One of the men asked her what time it was. She pulled out her cell phone to check the time and told the two. Then one of the men asked to borrow the phone to make a call. When she asked them a question, one of the suspects then grabbed cell phone her with great force. The suspects then fled southbound on Regent Street in “a green Japanese style car.”

The victim described one suspect as an adult male, 20 to 25 years old, 6 feet 1 inch tall, thin build, short dreads, clean shaven wearing a black t-shirt. The second suspect is described as an adult male, 20 to 25 years old , 6 feet 2 inches tall,thin build, short hair, clean shaven wearing a white t-shirt.

Armed Pedestrian Robbery – Parker & Regent Streets

On Parker and Regent Streets, a male suspect walked up to a young woman at 1:10 a.m. on July 12th, pointed a gun at her and demanded all of her property. The victim gave the suspect her bag that held her wallet and cell phone. The victim made her way home and called BPD 20 minutes after the crime to report it. In her statement, she told the BPD officer that the suspect fled on foot southbound on Regent Street then out of sight. She was not physically injured during the robbery.

The victim described the suspect as an adult male, 19 to 23 years old, 5 feet 7 inches to 5 feet 9 inches tall, thin build, black bandana over his mouth wearing a gray pullover hoody and dark pants.

Armed Pedestrian Robbery – 2400 Block of Dwight Way

Three young women, all 19 years old, one confirmed affiliation, were robbed at gunpoint on Wednesday, July 13, 2011 at about 1:10 a.m. The group told BPD officers that they were walking together in the 2400 block of Dwight Way when a male suspect walked up to them, pointed a handgun at them. The suspect demanded their purses. Two of the women had purses and handed them over, while the third did not have any purse or wallet in her possession at the time of the crime. The suspect fled on foot. The women were not physically injured during the robbery. BPD and UCPD officers did area checks but did not find the suspect.

The victims described the suspect as an adult male, in his twenties, black hair, 5 feet 8 inches to 5 feet 10 inches tall, thin build wearing a grey or blue hooded sweatshirt and dark sweatpants.

J.D. Morris is an assistant news editor.