UC Board of Regents July meeting preview

The UC Board of Regents will meet on Wednesday and Thursday for the remainder of their three-day meeting at UC San Francisco’s Mission Bay campus, where a wide range of issues spanning the diversity of the university’s student body to a controversial tuition increase spurred by the state’s increased cuts to higher education, will be addressed and in some cases voted on.

The Committee on the Whole will begin Wednesday’s meeting in the morning with public comments. With the the board slated to vote on a recommended 9.6 percent fee increases on Thursday, there has been a flurry of contention and outcry, and during this portion of the meeting, concerned individuals, including UC Berkeley student leaders and university workers will have the opportunity to comment on the fee increase as well as other university related matters.

In addition, this portion of the meeting will include opening remarks from UC officials including the Chairman of the Board Sherry Lansing, UC President Mark Yudof and Chair of the Academic Senate Daniel Simmons.

-The Committee on Educational Policy will meet Wednesday morning, where issues regarding the university’s fall undergraduate admissions outcomes will be discussed, including the diversity of the incoming class and the increase in non-resident students admitted as part of the UC Commisison on the Future recommendations.

– The Committee on Long Range Planning will meet later in the morning to discuss the annual University of California Accountability Report, which measures performance at both a campus and university level in meeting key goals across a diverse range of areas.

– Early Wednesday afternoon, the Committee on Investments will meet to vote on the proposed adoption of an expenditure rate for the university’s Total Return Investment Pool.

– The day’s open sessions will conclude with a meeting of the Committee on Finance, which provide an update on the university’s Working Smarter Initiative — an an ongoing administrative efficiency initiative — and whether it is on track to achieve its goal of $500 million in positive fiscal impact over five years.

– On Thursday morning, the Committee of Finance will meet again to vote on action items including the  UC Office of the President budget, endorsement of alternative revenue strategies and a proposed 9.6 percent fee increase to cope with the state’s cut to the UC.

Aaida Samad is an assistant news editor.