UC Board of Regents July meeting preview

The UC Board of Regents will meet on Wednesday and Thursday for the remainder of their three-day meeting at UC San Francisco’s Mission Bay campus, where a wide range of issues spanning the diversity of the university’s student body to a controversial tuition increase spurred by the state’s increased cuts to higher education, will be addressed and in some cases voted on.

The Committee on the Whole will begin Wednesday’s meeting in the morning with public comments. With the the board slated to vote on a recommended 9.6 percent fee increases on Thursday, there has been a flurry of contention and outcry, and during this portion of the meeting, concerned individuals, including UC Berkeley student leaders and university workers will have the opportunity to comment on the fee increase as well as other university related matters.

In addition, this portion of the meeting will include opening remarks from UC officials including the Chairman of the Board Sherry Lansing, UC President Mark Yudof and Chair of the Academic Senate Daniel Simmons.

-The Committee on Educational Policy will meet Wednesday morning, where issues regarding the university’s fall undergraduate admissions outcomes will be discussed, including the diversity of the incoming class and the increase in non-resident students admitted as part of the UC Commisison on the Future recommendations.

– The Committee on Long Range Planning will meet later in the morning to discuss the annual University of California Accountability Report, which measures performance at both a campus and university level in meeting key goals across a diverse range of areas.

– Early Wednesday afternoon, the Committee on Investments will meet to vote on the proposed adoption of an expenditure rate for the university’s Total Return Investment Pool.

– The day’s open sessions will conclude with a meeting of the Committee on Finance, which provide an update on the university’s Working Smarter Initiative — an an ongoing administrative efficiency initiative — and whether it is on track to achieve its goal of $500 million in positive fiscal impact over five years.

– On Thursday morning, the Committee of Finance will meet again to vote on action items including the  UC Office of the President budget, endorsement of alternative revenue strategies and a proposed 9.6 percent fee increase to cope with the state’s cut to the UC.

Aaida Samad is an assistant news editor.

• Anonymous

Time for the University of California Regents and  UC President Yudof to ask UC to pitch in for UC.

University
    of California faces
    massive budget shortfalls. It is dismaying Calif. Governor Brown. President
    Yudof and Board of Regents have, once again, been unable to agree on a package
    of wage, benefit concessions to close the deficit. 

Californians face foreclosure, unemployment, depressed
    wages, loss of retirement, medical, unemployment benefits, higher taxes: UC
    Board of Regents Regent Lansing, President Yudof need to demonstrated
    leadership by curbing wages, benefits. As a Californian, I don’t care what
    others earn at private, public universities. If wages better elsewhere,
    chancellors, vice chancellors, tenured, non tenured faculty, UCOP should apply
    for the positions. If wages commit employees to UC, leave for better paying position.
    The sky above UC will not fall.  

Californians suffer from greatest deficit of modern times. UC
    wages must reflect California’s
    ability to pay, not what others are paid. Campus chancellors, tenured &
    non-tenured faculty, UCOP are replaceable by more talented academics

Wage concessions for UC President, Faculty,
    Chancellors, Vice Chancellors, UCOP:

No furloughs   

18 percent reduction in UCOP salaries & $50
    million cut.

18 percent prune of campus chancellors’, vice chancellors’ salaries.

15 percent trim of tenured faculty salaries, increased teaching load

10 percent decrease in non-tenured faculty salaries, as well as increase research,
    teaching load

100%
    elimination of all Academic Senate, Academic Council costs, wages.

(17,000
    UC paid employees earn more than $100,000)

Overly
    optimistic predictions of future revenues do not solve the deficit.  However, rose bushes bloom after pruning.

UC Board of Regents Sherry Lansing, President Yudof can bridge
    the public trust gap by offering reassurances that UC salaries reflect depressed
    wages in California.
    The sky will not fall on UC

Once
    again, we call upon UC President, Chancellors, Vice Chancellors, Faculty, UCOP
    to stand up for UC and ‘pitch in’ for Californians with deeds – wage
    concessions.