UCPD officers who assisted in the rescue of Jaycee Dugard speak out

Two UCPD police officials, whose instinct and quick thinking brought about the discovery and rescue of then 29-year-old Jaycee Dugard in August 2009, responded to the ABC News broadcast of Diane Sawyer’s prime-time special “The Jaycee Dugard Interview”, that aired on television Sunday.

Dugard was kidnapped by Phillip and Nancy Garrido on June 10, 1991 at the age of 11 on her way to school in South Lake Tahoe, and taken to a house in Antioch, Calif., where she lived for 18 years and gave birth to two girls — after being raped by Phillip Garrido over the years, according to ABC News.

Garrido was first suspected by Lisa Campbell, former manager of the UCPD special-events unit, when he entered her Sproul Hall office at UC Berkeley with his daughters in 2009 and requested to hold a special event on campus, said UCPD Lt. Marc DeCoulode.

After some initial concern, Campbell alerted fellow UCPD officer Ally Jacobs, who then ran a background check on Garrido and discovered that he was a registered sex offender on federal parole for kidnapping and rape.

“We wish she could have been discovered sooner and we are happy our folks took the action they did,” DeCoulode said.

Dugard, now 31, was finally found in the Garridos’ Antioch home after Jacobs and Campbell contacted Garrido’s parole officers of his whereabouts and the situation that occurred at UC Berkeley, prompting them to search the house where Dugard had been held captive for so long.

“Things happen for a reason. I’m not really sure why we were the chosen ones to end this. All I know is that we both knew something wasn’t right and we did something about it,” Jacobs said in an interview with ABC7 News.

Phillip Garrido was sentenced to 431 years in prison and Nancy Garrido was sentenced to 36 years to life in prison last month. Dugard currently lives with her mother and two daughters, and has written the book, “A Stolen Life,” about her ordeal.