Crime blotter: Week of July 10 Part 2

The following is a sample of crime in  Berkeley this week, provided by the Berkeley Police Department.

Robbery of a bike via punches – Thousand Oaks School

An 18-year-old Berkeley man was riding his “Fit” brand BMX style bicycle on the Thousand Oaks School grounds, 800 block of Colusa Avenue. It was 7:00 p.m. on Wednesday, July 13, 2011 and school was done for the day. A male suspect walked up to the cyclist and began punching him until he got off his bike. A nearby neighbor called BPD after witnessing what appeared to be a crime in progress. BPD officers converged in the area looking for the suspect but were not able to find him. The victim declined medical attention at the scene and said he was not injured during the crime.
The victim described the suspect as male in his late teens or adult, blonde hair past his shoulders, 16 to 19 years old, 5 feet 7 inches tall, 140 to 160 pounds, wearing a white t-shirt.

Strong Arm Robbery of Purse – 2000 Block of Durant Avenue  

A 20-year-old woman was walking to a party in the 2000 block of Durant Avenue on Wednesday night, July 13, 2011. It was about 9:10 p.m., when she glanced behind her and saw a male suspect behind her. He suddenly grabbed her purse and she held onto it. The suspect then pushed her to the sidewalk, pulled the purse from her andran west on Durant Avenue. She watched as the suspect got into an older model dark sedan that sped northbound on Milvia Street. The victim told BPD officers that she was not physically injured during the robbery.
The victim described the suspect as a male adult, in his twenties, short hair, 6 feet 3 inches tall, thin build wearing a black jacket, white t-shirt and blue jeans.
Burglary of Home – 1XX The Uplands       

A male community member left his home in the 100 block of The Uplands at about 12:20 p.m. on Wednesday, July 13, 2011. He went to run a short errand. When he returned to his home at about 12:50 p.m., he found his front door ajar. He called BPD. BPD officers responded, entered and cleared the home to make certain that no suspect or suspects was/were still inside. The officers deemed it safe to go inside to investigate. The BPD case officer saw the front door jamb was damaged and pieces of the lock scattered were on the floor in the hallway. The officer and the homeowner searched areas of the house to determine what had been disturbed, prowled or stolen. In the first level, drawers of a dresser were left open and cabinets were open in the dining room. The homeowner knew that some jewelry had been taken but he told the officer that he would create a detailed list and add it to the report in the upcoming days.
Quick Alarm Facts This Week (2-day period overview)

From July 12 at 5:06 a.m. and 11:02 a.m. on July 14, 2011, City of Berkeley Police officers  responded and investigated 24 audible alarms from homes, apartments, places of worship and businesses. Officers check the areas that they are able to access and at the time of report/disposition – all proved to be false, either human error, construction workers, wrong codes or some other reason(s) for alarm going off.
From July 12 at 10:30 p.m. to July 14, 2011 at 1:10 p.m., BPD officers responded to 8 silent alarms of residences and businesses – all proved to be false, either human error, pushed button accidentally, incorrect codes or some other reason(s) for alarm sending a signal.

Allie Bidwell is the news editor.