Campus chapter of Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity loses university recognition

The campus chapter of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity recently lost recognition after multiple code of conduct violations.
Derek Remsburg/Staff

The UC Berkeley chapter of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity lost its university recognition after repeated risk management, fire and life safety and social code violations, as well as noncompliance with prior sanctions, the campus announced Monday.

The fraternity lost its recognition July 15 following “repeated” violations and noncompliance with prior sanctions, according to an email from Amanda Carlton, director of student involvement for the campus Center for Student Leadership, to the Fraternity and Sorority Life unit of the Division of Student Affairs.

“The chapter … lost University recognition following several repeated attempts by University staff to affect a culture change in the undergraduate membership,” Carlton said in the email.

As a result of the revocation, the chapter cannot apply for or be granted recognition from the university nor recruit members on the UC Berkeley campus for at least four years. Additionally, the national organization, its affiliates and alumni may not recruit members on campus for at least four years.

“In order to return to UC Berkeley as a recognized fraternity chapter, the UC Berkeley Chapter of Sigma Alpha Epsilon Fraternity must work with Fraternity and Sorority Life staff to complete the process that designates student groups as a fraternity,” the email states.

Last December, the campus also removed recognition from the Zeta Psi fraternity chapter for similar reasons — repeated risk management violations, fire and life safety violations, social code violations, and noncompliance with prior sanctions.

“Removal of University recognition only occurs after all other avenues have been exhausted,” said Grahaeme Hesp, former directory of fraternity and sorority life, in a statement regarding Zeta Psi’s revocation. “It is disappointing to lose any chapter, but especially one with such a long history on the campus.”

Allie Bidwell is the news editor.

• Guest

The real reason is the lack of diversity at these elite upper middle class/upper class fraternities. That is what is meant by:
    ““The chapter … lost University recognition following several repeated
    attempts by University staff to affect a culture change in the
    undergraduate membership,”

• Anonymous

Zete and SAE are top fraternities that don’t need campus privileges to get members. “Recognition” is for inferior houses that actually need campus privileges. The entire Interfraternity Council (IFC) should collectively disaffiliate and de-recognize and form an Independent Fraternities Consortium to self-regulate and promote Greek life.

• jason

You can’t be serious? The University can and will expel students who live in de-recognized fraternities. They have done it to hundreds of students over the years. i mean mass expulsions. Not worth it.

• guest

Actually, you can’t be serious. The university cannot stipulate what private social organizations a student can join or what private sector group living arrangements a student chooses to live. For instance the University has no say in whether a student can be a member of the Communist party, Tea Party or Black Panthers.

• Guest

Two down.  Several more to go.