Crime Blotter: Week of July 17

The following is a sample of crime in  Berkeley this week, provided by the Berkeley Police Department.

Pedestrian Armed Robbery — 2600 block of Telegraph Avenue  
Two women, 29 and 33 years old, were in the 2600 block of Telegraph Avenue when they were victims of an armed robbery. It was Sunday, July 17, 2011 between about 10:30 p.m. and 10:40 p.m. They returned to where they were staying, then called the Berkeley Police Department at approximately 11:08 p.m. They told the BPD officer that responded that a male suspect walked up to them, pointed a handgun at them and demanded cash. Both women complied and handed the suspect what money they had. Neither woman was physically injured during the robbery.
The suspect was described by the victims as a male adult with dreadlocks, bulging eyes, large nose, 20 to 30 years old, 5 feet 9 inches to 5 feet 10 inches tall, thin build wearing a light blue hoody jeans, black sneakers and a white baseball cap.
BPD and UCPD officers did area checks but did not find the suspect.

Attempted Pedestrian Armed Robbery/Assault with a Deadly Weapon — 2300 block of Grant Street  
A 20-year-old Berkeley woman was walking back home from a friend’s home on Sunday, July 17, 2011 at approximately 12:05 a.m.  She was in the 2300 block of Grant Street when she said she stopped for a second to look into her purse. She heard a noise and looked up. A male suspect was standing in front of her pointing a handgun at her face. He demanded her property while he struck her 4 times in the head and shoulder with the gun. Then the suspect grabbed the victim’s purse and the two struggled over it, before the victim was able to break free. She ran to a nearby home to knock on the door to ask for help. Berkeley police officers arrived swiftly and although they did area checks, they did not locate the suspect. The victim told the handling officer that she did not need any medical attention at the scene.
The victim described the  suspect as a male adult,  5 feet 6 inches tall, 160 pounds, black windbreaker pants with white or grey stripe on the sides and black shoes with reflectors on them.

Pedestrian Armed Robbery – Hearst Avenue and Chestnut Street
On Sunday, July 17, 2011 at about midnight, a Berkeley couple — a man and a woman — were robbed at gunpoint. They flagged down a passing Berkeley Police Department patrol car. They told BPD officers that they were walking in the area of Hearst and Chestnut. The husband saw a male suspect approaching them from the front and pointing a gun at them. He pushed his wife to the side (out of the way) to protect her. The suspect demanded their property. The male victim handed over his wife’s purse, his own wallet and cell phone to the suspect. The suspect fled east on Hearst and south on Curtis street then out of sight.
The victims described the suspect as a male adult, small goatee, 5 feet 5 inches to 5 feet 7 inches tall, a thin build wearing dark green hoody and dark jeans.

Assault With Deadly Weapon — 2400 block of Dana Street 
On Tuesday, July 19, 2011, at approximately 7:38 p.m., Berkeley Police Department officers responded to a report of a brandishing and assault in the 2400 block of Dana Street. A BPD officer located the victim, a 44-year-old Oakland man who had been stabbed apparently with a small sharp object.
The victim pointed to a 58 year old male acquaintance  and said that he was the suspect. BPD officers handcuffed the suspect.
The victim said that he had had an argument with the suspect over spilling his coffee. The incident became physical with the suspect stabbing the victim in the stomach with the nail file part of a pocket knife. The victim and the suspect “have a history” according to both men of verbal arguments and physical fights. Berkeley Fire Department personnel transported the victim to a local trauma center where his injury was deemed non life threatening by attending physicians and that he would likely be released in a couple hours.
The suspect, 58-year-old Cleveland Allen, was arrested and booked at the Berkeley Jail Facility.

Identity Theft — 800 block of Indian Rock Avenue  
A 59-year-old Berkeley man called on Monday, July 18, 2011 at 2:20 p.m. from the 800 block of Indian Rock Avenue to report identity theft. The man had received a credit card statement from a retail chain store that he never goes to and does not have a card for. The man also received a call from a credit card company advising him that someone had attempted to open an account using the man’s name, address and Social Security number. The BPD officer documented the crimes and gave the man guidance regarding identity theft prevention and offered resources.

Burglary in Progress/Interrupted by Homeowner — 1400 block of Delaware Street 
A 68-year-old was inside her home in the 1400 block of Delaware Street on Monday, July 18, 2011 when she heard knocking and kicking on her locked front door. At 12:17 p.m., she called 911 and while she was on the phone with a public safety dispatcher, one of the two male suspects kicked open the front door and walked inside. The homeowner screamed and the two fled on foot towards the North Berkeley BART Station. Two officers were in the area and when they spotted the two suspects.
A BART Officer detained one of the suspects as he tried to get onto a train. The other suspect was found hiding between some houses in the 1800 block of Short Street.
The homeowner victim positively identified each separately as being the burglars. BPD Officers arrested and booked a 24-year-old Oakland man for burglary and a 31-year-old Vallejo man for burglary and a felony probation violation.

Driving Under The Influence — Shattuck & Kittredge
A Berkeley Police Department patrol officer made a traffic enforcement stop at 1:52 a.m. on Monday morning, July 18, 2011. The officer stopped a Honda Accord driven by a 28-year-old Richmond man at Shattuck Avenue and Kittredge Street. The officer immediately smelled a strong odor of alcoholic beverage on the man’s breath when he spoke. The driver also displayed additional objective symptoms of intoxication such as slurred speech and red, watery eyes. The officer started a DUI investigation. The driver was not able to successfully complete a series of Field Sobriety Tests.  During the breath test, the driver’s Blood Alcohol Content was recorded to be .13 percent. The officer arrested and booked him into the Berkeley Jail Facility for driving under the influence.

Residential Burglary — 1800 block of Hearst Avenue 
On the morning of Tuesday, July 19, 2011 at about 7:15 a.m., a couple who lives in the 1800 block of Hearst Avenue found the crawl space door under their home open. The evening before at about 7:00 p.m., was the last time they saw the door secured with a padlock. Sometime overnight, an unknown suspect or suspects cut the padlock and stole a $1,000 Trek brand model 8000 bicycle, 27″ men’s frame, Black/blue/silver with a bike rack.

Stolen Auto – 1300 block of Northside Avenue 
A 35-year-old man left his 1987 Toyota pick-up parked on the 1300 block of Northside Avenue on July 5, 2011. When he returned on July 20, 2011 after an overseas trip, he discovered that his truck was missing. He called the Berkeley Police Department at just before 5:00 p.m. to report that the truck had been stolen. The BPD officer checked the tow records and did not find the truck listed. The BPD officer documented the crime and entered the vehicle’s information into the Stolen Vehicle System a national database.

Vandalism – 1600 block of Dwight Way  
An unknown suspect threw a brick at the window of a woman’s home in the 1600 block of Dwight Way, shattering it. The woman was inside at 8:30 p.m. when the vandalism occurred. She called the Berkeley Police Department to document the crime. She has no idea who would want to damage her property.

Grand Theft – 2500 block of Telegraph Avenue
A 24-year-old went to a coffee shop in the 2500 block of Telegraph Avenue at about 11:00 a.m. He left his $1,200 Dell XPS 15” Laptop computer and his Samsung cell phone on the cafe table and went to use the restroom. When he returned, his property was gone. He asked another customer nearby who said he did not see anyone take the property but there were two possible suspects standing around his unattended table, one who had a laptop in his hand. The two had left the store and ran west on Dwight Way. The victim called Berkeley Police Department to document the theft and speak to the possible witness for the descriptions. Officers did area checks but did not find the suspects. The witness described the possible suspects as a male adult, 20 years old, short hair, medium build wearing a long white t-shirt and jeans and a male adult, 20 years old, slightly smaller than the first suspect, wearing all dark clothing.

Attempted Robbery – 1600 block of Ashby Avenue
A 27-year-old Berkeley man reported to the Berkeley Police Department that he was the victim of an attempted strong arm robbery in the 1600 block of Ashby Avenue. It was Wednesday, July 20, 2011 at about 8:15 pm. He told officers that he was walking by himself when two male suspects approached him and asked him for the time. The victim told the two the time, but the two began struggling with the victim to get the phone by hitting him and trying to force his hand open. The victim eventually fell to the sidewalk and the two suspects continued to hit and pull at him. The two suspects gave up and left on foot in an unknown direction. The victim sustained minor lacerations to the top of both hands, a minor laceration on the back of his right arm and an abrasion on his left knee.
The victim described one suspect as a male adult, 25 years old, shoulder length black dreadlocks, thin mustache and goatee, 6 feet tall, medium build wearing a red t-shirt. The victim described the other suspect as a male adult, 22 years old, a short afro, little facial hair, 5 feet 6 inches tall, wearing a white t-shirt.

Allie Bidwell is the news editor.