Sports in Brief: Derrick Hill signs with hometown Raiders

Derrick Hill got to play close to home when he came to Cal in 2006. Now, he’ll fight for the chance to play even closer as a professional.

The Bears’ former nose tackle, who first played football at Oakland’s McClymonds High School, signed with the NFL’s Oakland Raiders as an undrafted free agent on Saturday. Earlier reports originally had him linked him with the Baltimore Ravens.

Hill battled injuries throughout his Cal career, but started in 27 games — recording 92 tackles, 11.5 tackles for a loss and four and half sacks.His most memorable moment came during the Bears’ near-upset of No. 1 Oregon. Hill stripped  Ducks quarterback Darron Thomas and recovered the ball in the end zone for his first career touchdown.

He is one of five undrafted Cal rookies to sign with an NFL team over the past week.

Receiver Jeremy Ross joined the New England Patriots, where he will be reunited with running back Shane Vereen. Corner Darian Hagan is off to the Cleveland Browns after initially signing with Houston, while fellow defensive back Bryant Nnabuife has joined the Arizona Cardinals. Tackle Donovan Edwards also stayed local, announcing last Monday that he was signing with the San Francisco 49ers.

Adrian helps USA to gold at World Championships

America has lost the men’s 400-meter medley relay just three times in the history of the FINA World Swimming Championships.

On Sunday in Shanghai, China, Cal’s Nathan Adrian kept things that way.

The Bears’ former standout posted a time of 47.64 seconds in the event’s freestyle anchor leg, helping the U.S. to a comeback victory over Australia by two-tenths of a second (3:32.06 to 3:32.26). Adrian’s medley team, which included Nick Thoman, Mark Gangloff and Michael Phelps, was mired in fourth place after the breaststroke leg. Phelps’ butterfly leg moved the U.S. into second before Adrian’s swim brought home the gold.

Adrian was also the anchor leg of the American 400-meter freestyle relay squad that took bronze on July 24. Individually, he had less success — placing outside the top three in both the 50-meter and 100-meter freestyle.