Folk roots and rich melodies come together in The Avett Brothers’ show at the Fox

Fraternal festivities in full force! The Avett Brothers delivered some frantic frolicking to funky folks at Oakland’s Fox last Wednesday night, as they meandered through the last few stops on the North American leg of their world wide tour.

The Fox Theatre was packed with seasoned fans dressed in jeans and boots and relaxation and everybody was amped up to see a notorious Avett Brothers show. And they did not disappoint. Delicate banjo pickings and rich cello groans poured into eager ears with the decadence and potency of a sonic Jack and Coke. Before long, heels were aclicking and arms were aswinging to the ripples of the musical cocktail.

Brothers Seth and Scott had the luxury of a thousand back up singers as they plowed through their extensive – four EPs and six LPs! – body of music (discography). Every body in attendance lent their voice to a collective rendition of “I and Love and You”, the opening track off of their most recent album by the same name, ‘neath the starry domed ceiling.

The North Carolina natives played a surprisingly short set following opener and multi-instrumentalist Daniel Whitechurch’s mellifluous screechings. The Avett Brothers played a forty five minute set followed by a single encore, then departed the theatre to shouts of “One more song!”

Nevertheless, brotherly chemistry was undeniably displayed that night, a sort of synchronicity entwined in their DNA, as Seth and Scott flowed seamlessly from song to song, neither brother missing a beat from the other. The rich network of sounds flowed harmoniously through a series of arteries that nourished the dominant melody and capillaries that fed subtle adornments.

Seth and Scott showcased their musicianship, each brother alternately toying with piano, drums, guitar and harmonica against the backdrop foundation colored by Bob Crawford on upright bass and trumpet, Joe Kwon on cello and Jay Edwards on drums. Despite the multitude of disparate instruments onstage, the boys were able to create a cohesive concoction, marinating the percussion bones and guitar flesh and sprinkling them with dashes of banjo spice and harmonica seasoning. The resulting flavour is a deftly palatable sound that floods the senses with a myriad of sounds, while retaining its distinctly country folk twang.

The Avett Brothers did not oblige requests for a second encore, and instead sent concertgoers onto the streets of Oakland at an absurdly early hour. However, the premature cessation of the show did not dwindle the permeating Avett love as jolly folks continued the spectacle with their own renditions of Avett Brothers songs well into the night.