Festival in the starlight

muse.LANG
Simone Anne Lang/Staff

The crowds were massive, the breeze off the bay was brisk and the music, of course, was aplenty when thousands of people from the Bay Area and beyond flocked to the annual Outside Lands Music and Arts Festival this weekend.

Located on the expansive grounds of Golden Gate Park, the festival kicked off Friday and featured an array of artists throughout its three-day duration, from popular bands Phish, Muse (above) and MGMT to rising stars Ellie Goulding and Foster the People, as well as local favorites such as The Limousines.

Concluding the festival Sunday evening were competing performances from the one-man electronic producer Deadmau5 and indie rock sensation Arcade Fire.

But music was not the festival’s only attraction. Over 100 different wines and 50 local restaurants were also featured, giving festival-goers a diverse selection of food and drink choices.

For those commuting to the festival, reaching the destination proved to be a challenge in some cases, as bus after bus drove past scheduled stops during peak hours, too full to absorb any additional passengers.

One option to avoid clogged public transportation was the Esurance Shuttle, which delivered people from the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium — located in the city near BART, MUNI and Caltrain — to the park. A three-day shuttle pass was priced at $29.50, whereas a three-day parking pass for those who came to the festival via car cost $140.

Still, cold weather and transportation difficulties did little to deter the swarms of ticketed masses from making their way to the park in time to catch one performance or another.

Even food trucks were out in full force.

JD Morris is an assistant news editor.