Sports in Brief: Two teams turn in big preseason wins

Field hockey dominates UC Davis in exhibition opener

The Cal field hockey team will not play an official match at Maxwell Field until Sept. 9. On Sunday, coach Shellie Onstead’s squad logged some game time on its home field in a scrimmage against UC Davis.

The Bears defeated their NorPac foes twice last season, with the last victory coming in a 4-3 overtime thriller.  In their first scrimmage of the season, the score wasn’t so close. Cal broke the game open early en route to a 10-2 trouncing of the Aggies.

Sophomore forward Jordan O’Reilly, who played in all but two games for the Bears last season, jump-started Cal with back-to-back goals to open the game.
The offense didn’t stop with O’Reilly, who combined with senior defender Erin Magill for four of the Bears’ six goals in the first half.

UC Davis got on the board early in the second half to trail 7-1, but Cal responded with another goal less than two minutes later from freshman Marcia Venter. The Namibian Women’s National Indoor team member registered two goals in her first contest in blue and gold.

Sophomore midfielder Andrea Earle scored the final goal of the scrimmage, which propelled the Bears into double-digits.

Hassett nets two goals in road rout of Bulldogs

While much of the World Cup talk surrounded former Bears star Alex Morgan, a current member of the Cal women’s soccer team also competed in Germany this summer. Midfielder Betsy Hassett, who represented New Zealand this summer, certainly caught the attention of the Fresno State crowd during Cal’s 4-1 exhibition win over the Bulldogs on Saturday.

In her first contest since returning to the Bears, the junior scored the opening goal 14:28 into the game. Hassett managed only two shots on goal, but she made both of them count. Her second strike sealed the victory in the 110th minute.

Redshirt freshman Grace Leer, who nursed an injury last season, also lit up the scoreboard with a 25th minute goal to extend the Bears’ lead to two.
Fresno State thwarted the shutout with a goal from Callie Hancock in the 59th minute to cut its deficit to 2-1. Cal reclaimed its two-goal edge on a penalty kick converted by junior Lauren Battung at 75:20.

The Bears’ goalies, junior Lauren Hein and sophomore Emily Kruger, were actually busier than their Bulldog counterparts. Fresno State outshot Cal, 15-12, yet only had one goal to show for its efforts.