Crime in Berkeley: August 14 – August 18

View Berkeley Crime Blotter 8/15/2011 – 8/18/2011 in a larger map

The following is sample of crime in the city of Berkeley this week, provided by the Berkeley Police Department.

Robbery Via Punch — Dwight Way and Piedmont Avenue
A group of four young men, unknown if affiliated, were walking westbound on Dwight Way west of Piedmont Avenue on Sunday, August 14, 2011 at about 4:40 a.m. A group of four male suspects approached the young men. One of the victims was punched in the face and robbed of his wallet. Another victim was also punched in the face by one of the suspects who tried to take his cell phone. That victim was able to run away and call police. The group of suspects then fled northbound on Piedmont in an older American made burgundy or dark red 4 door vehicle. The initial victim sustained a bloody nose and complained of pain to his right cheek/jaw. BFD Paramedics transported him to a local ER for medical treatment and assessment. The other victim suffered a bloody lip, but refused further medical attention.

The victims and witnesses (all the friends walking) described the suspects as SU #1 “Black Male Adult, 18-24 years old, 5’10” 6’00” tall, 160-180 lbs wearing a dark hoodie and jeans plus 3 other unidentified Black Male Adults – no further descriptions provided.
Officers did extensive area checks but were not able to locate the suspects or their car.

Auto Burglary via lock cheat — 1400 San Pablo Avenue
A Berkeley woman came to the Public Safety Building (PSB) on Monday, August 15, 2011 at 6:37 p.m. to report an auto burglary that happened sometime the previous night. She told the case officer that she parked her car in the 1400 block of San Pablo Avenue and in the morning she discovered that someone had broken into it. She called her insurance company who advised her to file a police report. Stolen was an Apple iPad, Apple iPhone 3G, Canon Digital Camera, flash drives, cash and cases for the iphone and covers.

Auto Burglary via Window Smash — 2500 Block of Dwight Way
A woman and a male friend parked a 2006 Mini in the 2500 block of Dwight Way at about 1:00 p.m. on Tuesday, August 16, 2011. When they returned at about 2:00 p.m., the woman immediately noticed that her  right rear driver’s side window had been smashed and a laptop that belonged to her friend had been stolen. The Toshiba laptop and flash drives were in a black computer bag.

Attempted Residential Burglary — 1200 block of Burnett
At 11:25 p.m. on Wednesday, August 17, 2011, a Berkeley man called BPD reporting an attempted burglary to his home in the 1200 block of Burnett. He left the home at about 8 a.m. and when he returned at 10:45 p.m., he discovered that an unknown suspect forced open a locked wooden fence which surrounds the house and leads to the rear yard. After forcing the fence open, the suspect broke a window that was at ground level on the east side of the house. The window had bars over it but allowed enough space for a person to crawl under the bars. The window led into the basement which does not have access to the interior of the house. The suspect also attempted to gain entry to the house by prying the lock on the rear door of the house which is on the north side.

Drunk in Public Arrest — 2200 block of Shattuck Avenue
A community member called BPD on Wednesday, August 17, 2011 at 11:10 p.m. to report that a man was lying down in the 2200 block of Shattuck Avenue. The BPD officer who responded found a 30 year old Berkeley man lying on the ground in a puddle of urine. There was a strong odor of an alcoholic beverage on his person. She roused the man and he woke up.  The officer saw that the man was unable to stand or walk without assistance. The BPD officer determined that he was unable to care for his own welfare. The officer arrested him for PC 647 (f) –Drunk in Public to be cited when sober.

Traffic Enforcement Stop — Warrant Arrest — Jefferson Street and Dwight Way
On Wednesday, August 17, 2011 at 10:33 p.m., a BPD officer made a traffic enforcement stop at Jefferson Street and Dwight Way. A records check of the driver revealed he had an active $5,000 warrant for DUI. The  officer arrested the 26 year old Berkeley man for the warrant and booked him into jail.

Residential Burglary via open/unlocked door — 3000 block of Wheeler Street
A woman called BPD on Wednesday, August 17, 2011 at about 8 p.m. to report that her purse and contents were stolen from her friend’s home in the 3000 block of Wheeler Street. The victim went to the friend’s to help her clean at 3 p.m. The victim told the officer that she placed her bag containing her property in the living room with other miscellaneous items. The front door of the apartment was left open because she and the friend were going in and out with items. Amongst the property stolen was her leather purse, leather coin purse, credit cards and ID, a passport, keys, eyeglasses and a digital camera.

Stephanie Baer is the city news editor.