Bears top Highlanders in straight sets

An emphatic kill by outside hitter Adrienne Gehan sealed a 25-17 win in the final set as the No. 3 Cal volleyball team earned its first win of the 2011 campaign with a 3-0 (25-11, 25-17, 25-17) sweep of UC Riverside. The Bears only allowed the Highlanders to tie the score four times.

Gehan (10 kills, zero errors, .400 hitting percentage) led Cal on offense, tying outside hitter Tarah Murrey (eight kills, two errors, .240 hitting percentage) for a team high 11 points. For the match, Riverside’s Amanda Vialpando led the way with 12 kills in 31 attempts, and also notched a game-high 13 digs.

Other than Vialpando’s play, there were few other bright spots for the Highlanders. The team was anemic on offense, posting an abysmal .086 attack percentage. Riverside also committed 24 errors — to Cal’s six — and had two starters finish the match with negative attack percentages.

Cal, though rarely challenged by the defense, was efficient offensively, posting a .293 attack percentage, highlighted by a .625 performance from Shannon Hawari (six kills, one error). Additionally, five different Bears tallied aces.

Cal will be back in action tomorrow, when the squad opens up the day with an 11 a.m. match against Fairfield, and will close out the weekend with a 7 p.m. meeting against Florida International University.