UC Berkeley third in Washington Monthly’s annual rankings

The Washington Monthly released its annual College Guide and Rankings Monday, ranking UC Berkeley third among national universities based on its contribution to the public good, ahead of Stanford, Harvard and MIT.

University of California campuses occupied the top three spots in the rankings, which are calculated based on a number of factors such as the number of students receiving Pell grants, research expenditures and community service participation among students. Using these factors, colleges are then ranked in social mobility (which the guide defines as “recruiting and graduating low-income students), research (“producing cutting-edge scholarship and PhDs”) and service (“encouraging students to give something back to their country”).

Although UC Berkeley trailed UC San Diego, which placed first overall, and UCLA in the rankings, UC Berkeley has ranked in the top three for the last three years, edging out UC San Diego in 2009 to claim the number one spot.

UC Berkeley ranked first in science and engineering PhD’s awarded, second in faculty in national academies and third in faculty receiving significant awards.

Only two of the top ten universities from the US News and World Report’s 2011 National University Rankings, Stanford and Harvard, placed in the top ten of The Washington Monthly’s rankings, placing fourth and sixth, respectively.