All bets are on for Cal-Fresno State football game

Image source: wallyg under creative commons

Fresno Mayor Ashley Swearengin is taking all sorts of risks — not dealing with politics but sports.

Swearengin has made two friendly wagers over Saturday’s football game between Cal and Fresno State at Candlestick Park in San Francisco — one with Berkeley Mayor Tom Bates and another with San Francisco Mayor (and Cal alum) Ed Lee.

If the Bulldogs beat the Bears, Mayor Bates will have to wear a Fresno State jersey for a full day; if Cal wins, Mayor Swearengin will wear a Bears jersey.

“I’m looking forward to the season opener between the Cal Bears and Fresno State Bulldogs,” Bates said in a press release. “I can’t wait to see Mayor Swearengin dressed in blue and gold. Go Bears!”

The bet between Swearengin and Lee doesn’t involve jerseys or school colors — it involves food.

According to their agreement, the losing team’s mayor must send a package of the city’s best food and drinks to the office of the winning mayor. If Fresno State wins,  Swearengin can expect San Francisco delicacies, including Ghirardelli chocolate, Anchor Steam beer and crab from Fisherman’s Wharf. In the event of a Cal victory, Lee will likely receive such Fresno treats as wine, nuts, fruit, olive oil and vegetables.

“Like all proud Cal alumni, I’ll be rooting for the Bears to defeat the Bulldogs in an exciting game this Saturday,” Lee said in a press release. “I’ll proudly enjoy Fresno’s best treats and drinks when we win our friendly bet with Mayor Swearengin. Go Bears!”

Swearengin, though, seems confident in the Bulldogs.

“Everyone knows that Fresno State and the Fresno area are home to the world’s best food products,” Swearengin said in a press release. “We enjoy that bounty on a daily basis, but nothing will top the sweet taste of victory we’re going to experience Saturday when the Fresno State Bulldogs beat the Cal Bears. I’m looking forward to winning the bet with Mayor Lee and feasting on some of the finest food and drink that San Francisco has to offer.”