Second part of DREAM Act passes Senate vote

Demonstrators protest during a march for immigrant rights down streets in the Berkeley area on May 1, 2009.
David Herschorn/File

The second half of the California DREAM Act — which would allow undocumented students access to state financial aid — passed the state Senate Wednesday by a vote of 22 to 11.

AB 131, authored by Assemblymember Gil Cedillo, D-Los Angeles, will go back to the Assembly for a concurrence vote, the last hurdle before the bill lands on Gov. Jerry Brown’s desk.

It is expected that Brown would sign the bill if it reaches his desk. One of his campaign promises — iterated many times on his path to Sacramento — was to sign both parts of the DREAM Act should he have the opportunity.

The passage of the bill — which would give undocumented students access to state financial aid programs such as Cal Grants — comes a little over a month after the first part of the state’s DREAM Act was signed into law by Brown.

That bill authorized public higher education institutions to give financial aid to undocumented students from their own aid reserves.

“It’s great,” said Ju Hong, an ASUC senator and undocumented student, upon learning of the bill’s success in the state Senate. “I would have a more open door to go to grad school and law school, to continue on to a professional degree and contribute more tax revenue to our economy.”

The vote went along party lines. Twenty-two Democrats voted for the bill, while 11 Republicans voted against.

Ron Calderon, D-Montebello, supported the bill on the Senate floor, saying that having more educated, tax-paying professionals would only help the state’s economy.

“(Undocumented students) should not have their future jeopardized by their illegal status,” he added.

Doug LaMalfa, R-Butte, opposed the bill on the Senate floor, saying that the state should focus on taking care of its citizens during the current financial crisis instead of giving aid to undocumented students.

Hong also said that ultimate passage of the bill — which, if it succeeds in the Assembly and is signed by Brown unamended, would take effect Jan. 1, 2013 — would not only help current college- and university-level undocumented students but also those still in high school.

“(High school students) won’t give up, (and) it will reduce the high school dropout rate,” he said. “More students will get involved in academia and get a higher education degree.”

Brown’s office declined to comment on whether he would sign the bill should it reach his desk. Samuel Chiu, an executive fellow in the governor’s press office, said in an email that it was the office’s policy to not comment on pending legislation.

The bill — which would alter the 1960 Master Plan for Higher Education, the framework upon which the state’s current public higher education system is built — would require the state’s Student Aid Commission, which provides California students financial aid for higher education, “to establish procedures and forms that enable  students … to apply for, and participate in, all student financial aid programs administered by the State of California to the full extent permitted by federal law,” according to the the bill’s text.

The bill also says that undocumented students would only be eligible for the competitive A and B type of Cal Grants if there are funds left over after all eligible California students have received their awards.

Jordan Bach-Lombardo is the university news editor.

• Losangeles7
  • Hhps3

What is wrong with California?

SACRAMENTO !

Liberal Democrats led by a liberal new governor Jerry Brown are bankrupting California by squandering California tax dollars on illegal immigrants.

The Democratic Party of Sacramento County Central Committee voted unanimously to support AB131.  All Republicans voted against it because it penalizes LEGAL California students.

If we want to change the direction of California then we can start by registering as Republican.  Recall all those liberal democrats in Sacramento who are wasting our tax dollars on non-US citizens.

• Dream!!!

I don’t understand why people have to be so ignorant about how hard it is to be an immigrant. Yes, you might be a citizen, well guess what? you are most likely to get federal or state financial aid than any immigrant person could ever get their hands to. If your child deserves to go to college and has work hard for it, he or she will find thousands of scholarships, grants, and financial aid that they can apply for, unlike immigrants that because of our lack of a social security number and illegal status we are most of the time rejected for any type of financial help no matter how hard we try. Be smart, if you are a citizen, no matter how poor you are believe me you will find help, it is most likely that the poorest you are the most money/ financial aid that you will get; so don’t argue that you or your kids can’t get help, because if they deserve it, they will find it and get it!
    I am an immigrant, and graduating from high school this year, and just like many of my fellow immigrant people, I am more than thankful to have the opportunity to be in this country and now as I get ready to move on and become independent, I hope that i can repay this country with positive inputs.  I am proud of this country as I am of my native land, and I truly say that I will work for the better of this country in an educational and smart way.
    As an immigrant I have suffered a great deal, from learning the language, working along with my parents at the very young age of 5 years old (which I assure you that most american children do not have to go through at that age) just to have enough money to pay the bills, the rent. I see my parents working 2 jobs even 3 and it breaks my heart; so when you think of how your life is, just think that it could be worst. At this very moment I am taking 5 AP classes, (not counting the 5 other that I took in previous high school years)  I struggle and work my best in each, I stay up late, sometimes I don’t even sleep, but I will never give up on my education dream, because I know that I deserve it, because I know that I want to change the world for the better. I want to break the barriers of expectations that are imposed on people with my status, I want to change lives, hearts, and minds of my community as well as the country itself.

Please do not kill the dreams of all those hard working students, think of the future of this country and how we could all work together in the future to make a powerful and equally legitimate and sovereign United States. 

• Eli_smith_88

Fun little fact: illegals pay taxes. Ignorant people use this “Illegals don’t pay taxes” nonsense when talking about why they hate illegals, but the truth is MOST illegals pay taxes every year like the rest of us, and to say otherwise is just plain stupid. Not all of them do, but then again not all citizens do either, so why shouldn’t they also benefit by receiving assistance with college? As a born US citizen of Mexican parents with no exceptional grades, skills or abilities I was able to receive assistance with my schooling with no problem, so don’t argue that this help will go to illegals and be taken away from citizens! That’s a ridiculous argument! As a citizen it is so easy to get all kinds of help that illegals can’t. I agree with the person who said “Anybody who is a citizen and can’t afford college must be so retarded. There’s so much help out there for citizens. Giving undocumented students the opportunity to go to college would only help California.” I can’t believe how ignorant and just plain backwards some of you people are. In the end illegals will get amnesty, in one way or another. That’s just the way it is! This country needs them, I live in an agricultural state where a lot of revenue Is made from farm work, but all around me all I see is farms going out of business because of a shortage of workers, fruit rotting on trees because there is no one there to pick it. plenty of jobs that no citizen wants. Good hard working american farmers having their livelihood destroyed. That’s the reality of all your hate mongering. 

• rcvfl

YES!thank you!!…they are complaining that illegal immigrants are taking over their jobs…really? I’d like to see one of them working their ass off in the hot sun doing farm work…yet they call them lazy and say they don’t work hard enough,they need to put in thought that maybe the parents ARE working doing farm work to pay for their kids college yet they still won’t be able to get a job because of their status…so why are they complaining?… because they are getting some help and STILL just getting what ever is left?COME ON!! & they say not all illegal immigrants pay their taxes?a lot of US citizens don’t pay them either so quit being so dumb about it!once again Eli_Smith_88…thank you for that clarification to the IGNORANT :)

• Guest

Fun little fact: illegals pay taxes. Ignorant people use this “Illegals don’t pay taxes” nonsense when talking about why they hate illegals, but the truth is MOST illegals pay taxes every year like the rest of us, and to say otherwise is just plain stupid. Not all of them do, but then again not all citizens do either, so why shouldn’t they also benefit by receiving assistance with college? As a born US citizen of Mexican parents with no exceptional grades, skills or abilities I was able to receive assistance with my schooling with no problem, so don’t argue that this help will go to illegals and be taken away from citizens! That’s a ridiculous argument! As a citizen it is so easy to get all kinds of help that illegals can’t. I agree with the person who said “Anybody who is a citizen and can’t afford college must be so retarded. There’s so much help out there for citizens. Giving undocumented students the opportunity to go to college would only help California.” I can’t believe how ignorant and just plain backwards some of you people are. In the end illegals will get amnesty, in one way or another. That’s just the way it is! This country needs them, I live in an agricultural state where a lot of revenue Is made from farm work, but all around me all I see is farms going out of business because of a shortage of workers, fruit rotting on trees because there is no one there to pick it. plenty of jobs that no citizen wants. That’s the reality of all your hate mongering. 

• Natalie

I know plenty of hardworking, intelligent people who came here illegally as children. They have so much to offer, but our laws make it so hard for them to succeed. The Dream Act would it make it possible for them to enrich our country and culture, and I don’t understand the opposition against it. ALL OF US HAVE ANCESTORS WHO CAME HERE AS IMMIGRANTS, yet I feel like with each passing generation we seem to forget that.

• Lindalucys

What part of ILLEGAL (non-legal, IL-legal) residents, or as John and Ken of LA’s KFI radio (640) call them… SQUATTERS.  

They (or their parents) broke the law and came to America, and now MY tax dollars (and yours) are to pay for them to attend COLLEGE?   

The state of CA has become an INSANE ASYLUM and these DEM politicians (the only ones to vote “YES”) absolutely MUST be replaced and KICKED OUT OF OFFICE in the next election!

• Jeff Wells

Wikipedia states that squatters in Mexico are called “paracaidistas,” which means “paratroopers,” because of the way the invaders “parachute” themselves onto unoccupied land.  Notable squats in California: “People’s Park,” in Berkeley, and “Slab City,” in Niland,  where “slabbers” may or may not be illegal aliens.  One wonders if President Regan’s 1980s illegal alien amnesty was his attempt to relieve a guilty conscious for the travesty he unleashed when, as California’s Governor on a spring day in 1969, “Bloody Sunday” occurred when he ordered the Berkeley park cleaned-up.

• http://twitter.com/calicrusader WeThePeople

This is treason – for senators and assembly members to pass bills and vote for foreign nationals.  Illegal aliens get college for free as American students suffer…any lawmaker who voted for this bill should be VOTED OUT of office!

• Jeff Wells

In 2005, an estimated 60-percent of the 20,000 member 18th Street Gang in southern California was made up of illegal alien Mexicans.  Illegal alien Mexican gang members in Los Angeles don’t raise funds to build churches, nor do they help little old ladies cross the street. Why isn’t the National Guard protecting Americans from murderous, thieving illegal alien Mexican gang member no-gooders?  Why isn’t that illegal alien criminal element (and their cohorts) being rounded up now by I.C.E.?

• John

“The bill also says that undocumented students would only be eligible for the competitive A and B type of Cal Grants if there are funds left over after all eligible California students have received their awards.”How are illegal immigrants taking from US citizens if they are only getting what is left over? If citizens are so pissed off that illegal immigrants will be getting their tax money, then they should get off their ass, go to school and better themselves so there will be no money left over for illegals, which will likely not happen. So why not give it students who ARE willing to get an education? 

• Jeff Wells

John and Ken of “The John and Ken Show,” KFI AM 640 Los Angeles, have stated emphatically that, in cases such as this, there never are funds left over, and that there’s no way to make sure that American students who need financial aid in order to go to college receive that help first before “helping” the illegal alien.  Illegal aliens have wormed their way into higher education institutions with the “help” of “Americans” who have advised them to state that their (illegal alien) parents are dead, which in effect makes the illegal alien more “American” than “Mexican” (or whatever country the poor criminal may be from).  As a result of that untruth, an illegal alien may very well get the monetary help they seek, with or without AB131.

• Hhps3

Wrong. 

Undocumented (illegal immigrant) students will be eligible not only for Cal Grants but for in-state tuition as well as “state funded financial aid” that goes beyond only competitive A and B type Cal Grants.

This is the kind of disinformation (propaganda) that liberals often use to sway public sentiment away from the truth.

Do your own research.

• John

• Jeff Wells

It’s been estimated that over 30-percent of latino students in Los Angeles become dropouts; the rate of drop outs, overall in the City of Angels (including blacks, latinos, asians and whites) runs as high as one out every three students.  That leaves a small, yet still undesirable, percentage that will be applying for financial aid in order to attend college if AB131 passes.

• Guest

okay so what are you complaining about if you say that many drop-out than what are you worried about if to you it seems obvious they are not going to attend college?? like John said get off your ass,go to school and better yourself so there won’t be any money left over if it bothers you so much that illegal immigrants get the left overs.

• Anonymous

This will only cost CA $40 million a year. Not bad for a state going bankrupt and, I think, over $30Billion deficit. We must take care of the illegal aliens who are only here to work and contribute to this country.

If they are so great and only have America’s best interest, why don’t they work and pay for their own college? We have already footed the bill for free k-12 education, free breakfast/lunch, soc svcs, and medical…and now, even though the US has its pockets turned inside out, they want us to pay for college!

Bottom line: NO BAIL OUT FOR CALIFORNIA/MEXIFORNIA!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Jeff Wells

Because of budget cuts, the State of California has threatened its constituents with reduced protection from its police and fire departments, closures of many of its parks, while it prepares, early, to unleash thousands of its inmates back into society or to county facilities who won’t be able to handle them.  Yet at the same time, a majority of the State’s legislative body embraces the illegal alien college-going wannabes, and wants to shower them with tens of millions of dollars?  Hey, America, what’s wrong with this picture?  Since California seems to always lead the way for the rest of the nation, the United States of America had better take a good hard look at what the Golden State has brewing in her witches’ cauldron.

• Guest

“I would have a more open door to go to grad school and law school, to
    continue on to a professional degree and contribute more tax revenue to
    our economy.”
    What makes this guy think he could practice law while he’s a criminal subject to deportation?  If he CARES about American law, he should comply with it.

• Jeff Wells

The arrogance of Mexicans in America is astounding.  A friend of mine called Radio Shack recently because she wanted to be sure they had an advertised sale item in stock before she visited their store.  When the store answered her call, however, she described the salesperson’s language as “Spanglish,” because the salesperson spoke in broken English-Mexican.  The salesperson confirmed that the store had the desired sales item in stock, yet nobody could find it after she got there.  It did take forever, she said, to get any help after arriving, and more than a majority of the customers were Mexican-speaking Mexicans in America.  She left in disgust; a few nights later, after driving by the store’s location well after dark, she noticed with alarm that some of the letters in “Radio Shack” above the store’s front door had been purposely blackened out; if you eliminate the first two letters of “Radio” and all but the first letter of “Shack,” all you’re left with is “DIOS,” the Spanish word for “God.”  My friend then wrote a hasty letter of complaint to Radio Shack’s  Chariman of the Board; a few weeks later, a “miraculous” change in all of the store’s personnel took place.

• guest1

so they’re criminals now… jaja thats funny i want to see you saying the same thing in the future when a criminal like what you call him is putting your ass in jail for being literally a criminal… no offense in anyway its just that you never know the capability of a human being

• NO to Dreamers

They don’t deserve anything courtesy of the US taxpayer. Millions of citizens graduate high school every single day yet when they prepare to go to college out of state, they have to pay out of state rates. The circumstances of Dreamies are NOT special other than they have managed to lie, cheat and steal in order to obtain an American college degree by any means necessary. They need to take their ill gotten gains and use them to help raise their 3rd world countries out of poverty. But it’s easier for them to remain here in all of their arrogance and delusional racial superiority and demand we foot their bills.
    Additionally, they claim they can’t go back because they aren’t familiar with their homelands. Neither they nor their parents were familiar with America but they sure did learn how to skirt every law possible to remain here. Proof that it is not impossible for them to go home and adjust to the country they so proudly support but are too lazy to make liveable. It’s much easier to stay here and demand everything after all we’ve already done all the heavy lifting.
    It’s time for them to blame and hold their criminal parents accountable for their actions but of course they won’t do that because they have been raised to believe that nothing is ever their fault.

• Jeff Wells

California Becomes Mexico’s Baby Sitter-Warden.

The vast, complicated machinery that makes up the educational and prison systems in the Golden State benefit greatly from illegal aliens who cross America’s most southern border.

In 2002, the Los Angeles Times reported that over 75-percent of all births in Los Angeles County were to illegal alien Mexicans.  The ever-growing offspring of illegal aliens gives the spoiled, bloated California Department of Education something to do; educators are often able to do little more than babysit the children of illegal aliens; children who may never learn English or graduate from grammar, junior or  high school.

In 2009, hispanics made up nearly half of California’s prison population, and about one-half of those inmates are Mexican illegal aliens.  The Los Angeles Times estimated in 2002 that nearly all (ALL) of murder warrants in the City of Los Angeles are for illegal aliens; that three-quarters of the people Most Wanted are illegal aliens.  The FBI documents that nearly one-half of latino gang members in Los Angeles are illegal aliens.  Those illegals give the spoiled, bloated California Department of Corrections something to do.

When a city adopts an illegal alien sanctuary policy, that city not only violates federal immigration law, it puts the city’s residents at serious risk.  Federal funding from santuary cities should be stripped, whether they’re declared “santuary cities” or not.  A “sanctuary city” harbors illegal aliens; that city’s employees are instructed to look the other way in the case of illegal aliens, and not to notify federal officials of their presence.

Some of the “declared” santuary cities in California: Davis, Fresno, Los Angeles, Long Beach, Oakland, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose; Sonoma County (COUNTY).  Some of California’s suspected santuary cities: Diamond Bar, San Bernadino. In many of these cities, the police are not there “to protect and serve,” not unless your skin is brown and the prison sentence long.

• Anonymous

Outrageous!  The voters of California spoke loud and clear when they passed proposition 187 in an effort to make sure people in the country illegally didn’t receive any benefits from the state.  Supporters of people in the country illegally often point out that they can’t qualify for benefits.   Seems they can’t use that argument anymore, with AB131.

It’s also outrageous for your elected officials to put illegal aliens before California US citizens and permanent residents.  Time to throw these so-called representatives of office!

• Jeff Wells

Although voters approved California Proposition 187 (known as “SOS,” “Save Our State”) as a referendum, a legal suit challenged it, and a federal court found the legislation unconstitutional.  Prop 187 would have set-up a state-run citizenship screening system that would have prohibited illegal aliens from taking advantage of social services (such as health care and public education) in California.  Over the last seventeen years since voters tried to correct a wrong in California with Prop 187, many of its illegal aliens have gotten public handouts: nearly three-quarters of all HUD (the U.S. Government Department of Housing and Urban Development) occupants, in Los Angeles alone, are illegal aliens; nearly one-third of its illegal alien population relies on welfare.

• Residents First, Aliens Second

Under the law, illegal aliens cannot work in the US. So what is the point in paying for their education? I suppose that’s the next part of it – allowing illegal aliens the right to work, taking away jobs from legal US residents. Does no one see the problem here? Oh, and good luck getting repayment on that Student Loan from someone who doesn’t even have a social security number.

US residents should get all the benefits of being a citizen BEFORE non residents.

• Jeff Wells

AB131 alters “the 1960 Master Plan for Higher Education, the framework upon which the state’s current public higher education system is built.”  Proponents of AB131, like Mexicans Gil Cedillo (D-Los Angeles) and Ron Calderon (D-Montebello), have absolutely no respect for the very heritage that makes up American’s great past.  Those traiterous “Democrats” are, if effect, dismantling the country’s very foundation, brick-by-brick, and are enjoying it, too.

• Anonymous

So let me get this straight. People out of college are having trouble finding work already. There is a huge level of unemployment.  So we want to make it so less legal citizens get into college (every illegal that enters a college prevents another person from getting in, especially at higher level universities, which, let’s face it, bring in all ethnicities to say they have “diversity” with affirmative action)  so that less people here legally can get a college education at the school of their choice? We’re going to compete in the job market with illegals who technically cannot be employed? Am I the only one using logic here? Somebody please help me here.

• Anonymous

Don’t worry, you are on point!

• Jeff Wells

It’s estimated that over a dozen Americans every single day are murdered, killed, raped, mutilated, robbed or incapacitated physically, spiritually and/or monetarily for the rest of their lives.  In the 1930s, Americans “embraced” the criminal elements of society (the gangster, the bank robber, the kidnapper, the murderer) as somehow being glamorous and exciting.  Since then, America has strangely embraced the “underdog,” the less fortunate.  After President Regan granted “amnesty” to four million illegal aliens in the 1980s, no Federal government agency has completely and correctly overseen their smooth absorption into American society, thus creating a country-within-a country in American, with people who aren’t here on the same page as the rest of us Americans.  As a result, we see other Americans stare blindly at the wrath of groups such as the Mexican Mafia.  Americans have become casual observers of an America, slowly but surely, becoming Mexico, and with that onslaught comes “diversity” and “affirmative action.”  An illegal immigrant, no matter how poor and unfortunate they are, can’t be pitied, can’t be helped, can’t be given an “amnesty,” and should never be forgiven for their criminal actions.

• Toksclub

I thought the bill would take effect Jan 1 2012 not 2013

• Anonymous

They changed it to 2013…you know as well as I that a lOT of water can go under the bridge between 2011 and 2013!!! Enjoy it while you can, illegal aliens!

• Lowell1

It
    may be true that not just legal citizens pay taxes, but it isn’t true that
    “everyone does”. Most illegals have low paying jobs and do NOT pay
    much, if any taxes, while having access to free education, medical, food aid etc.   It is
    wrong to reward people for breaking the law and it is wrong to provide special privileges
    to people based on race, origin, or “political clout”. There is no
    reason why anyone over 18 can’t go for naturalization. If they don’t want to
    become a naturalized citizen, why do they feel we should pay for their
    education? The point of being a citizen is that you have certain rights, privileges
    and obligations.  If the legislature and
    Government feel that citizenship means one has extra obligations and fewer
    rights/ privileges than noncitizens, then what’s the point? 

• Sharkastic

This is great! I am going to sneak into Mexico so I can get my PhD!

“Anybody who is a citizen and can’t afford collage must be so retarded” Exactly! We are all rich in Cali! Everyone has a Mercedes! Life is so easy here. I see you are already a Rocket Scientist.

“Giving undocumented students the opportunity to go to college would only help California.” Oh yea! You’re one smart guy! Screw the economy. We can just print more money! Especially because illegal immigrants won’t give their earnings to their relatives abroad, right? I’ve never heard of them doing that before.

“plenty of opportunities out there to pay for college” – Yep. I start selling my body tonight!

When these illegals and corrupt politicians are done raping our system, they should give everything that they own to those who are starving in Ethiopia. Sounds fair, right?

• Jeff Wells

Those Californian legislative members who stamped their approval on AB131 and have presented the bill to Governor Brown for his signature are two-timing, double-crossing Un-Americans; conspirators who have left their constituents in the dark while cavorting with the enemy.

Everytime you call a business on American soil (like the United States Post Office or your bank) and are forced to press “1″ for English, you’ve pressed one too many buttons.  Everytime you visit an Emergency Room and have to wait in line with illegal aliens means that you, an American, has just lost one of the freedoms your birth guaranteed.  Everytime you have to stand on a bus or a subway car when an illegal alien has taken one of the seats meant for you means that illegal aliens have wormed their way into the American way of life.  When you have to stand in line at a department at the local, State or Federal level when illegal aliens are in that same line means that America is no longer the “Land of the Free”; it has become the “Land of the Freeloader.”

I propose legislation that designates all new prisons built in America to be built along its most southern border with only two doors: one that swings “in” (from America) and one that swings “out” (into Mexico).

• Meridt1

These students are going to live here anyway and keeping them out of school will lead them to gang banging and other criminal activities that the state will pay for three folds in the near future.

• Sharkastic

“keeping them out of school will lead them to gang banging and other criminal activities”

@Meridt1 let me guess…
      Master of Arts in Rhetorical Studies? Because that is some really good B.S.

Let me continue on with your fine argument. Perhaps we should all work a little harder to make more money so that we can send it to impoverished countries in hopes that their citizens don’t come here to engage in criminal activity? Makes sense, right? Didn’t  think so.

And is it your position that the uneducated illegal immigrants are all going to turn into bad guys? That position smacks of cultural bias to me; might even seem a tad racist.

You’d make a great lawyer or a politician!

• Ghhjghjg

why you mad though?

• Anonymous

Nobody is mad, just CLEAR!

• Guest

“keeping them out of school”
      Primary and secondary education are mandatory and free.  Higher education is optional and costly.  Nobody is “kept out” of college; it’s a choice.

• Anonymous

Will all of the free education you have already received, which is far superior to the education from you home country, you should do very well going back and giving it your best and brightest!

If this is what it takes for you to become a gang banger, you would have become one anyway! I understand by the news, it seems to be a cultural thang!

You think it is our responsibility to ensure your future, we don’t care! What about your responsibility to yourself. It’s your choice to stay here and continue to work crappy jobs, or leave and make something of yourself. Leave the rest of America to us…comprehende?

• Bun1448

I cannot believe that illegals are given gifts of free education to them when they are breaking our laws by being here.  Ship them back!!   I would like to see America free of illegals and help educate Americans, not people breaking the laws of the land.

• Anon

Democrats selling out the citizens of this state for their own political ambitions. Absolutely disgraceful.

• Jeff wells

• http://www.facebook.com/people/Arthur-Comarthur/100002241583521 Arthur Comarthur

I hope Jerry Brown wises up and vetoes this disgrace. 

• Anonymous

He won’t! He’s all geared up to sign it!

• Anonymous

Get ready for a civil war between states who harbor and abet ILLEGAL ALIENS and those who do not wish to dilute their society, economy, and education with them. When our government and officials openly defy the rule of law, use public funds, and put non-citizens ahead of their own and LEGAL IMMIGRANTS, it is time for a radical change. Revolution anyone?

The people who care to learn more about the madness behind these kinds of issues should research the terms: WHITE GUILT and IDIOT COMPASSION.

The journey of Ten Million Deportations starts with one plane load after another. We Can Do It!

And if you wish to join the fight against Illegals, join the Facebook group:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Californians-Standing-Up/116468118455055

And the immigration process works just fine, see:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis

http://www.ice.gov/#

• http://twitter.com/sillybunny07 Oday Guerrero

This guy is a cyber creep. Don’t fall for his hate group, its a scam.

• http://twitter.com/RobertoVelas Roberto Velasco

It’s about time although I have my doubts on whether Governor Brown will sign, guess well see.

• 050290

I Hope he does. we have been Waiting too long now.

• Guest

“we have been Waiting too long”
        Waiting for what?  When did anybody promise you anything?

• Anonymous

Brown promised it when he was campaigning.

• Common Sense

Assuming you’re an illegal immigrant, you’ve been waiting for our idiotic politicians then to force legal residents to subsidize your college education??

• Anonymous

He better. It was his campaign promise. I’m not standing up for him on any grounds  if he doesn’t sign this bill.

• Guest

Campaign promises cannot be enforced.  They’re hypothetical.

• Guest

“I’m not standing up for him on any grounds”
        As a non-citizen, you have no say in California politics.

• Anonymous

Illegal aliens don’t seem to realize that it took blacks about 100 years from the civil war to the civil rights act! Illegal aliens, particularly mexicans, seem to think that our government is like a gum ball machine, you put you nickle in, you immediately get results. I doesn’t work that way! Leave!

• Anonymous

p.s., Stupido! Illegal aliens can’t vote!

• http://pulse.yahoo.com/_MYE33I4TTQKWXST7YHLXWAM57Y Captain Morgan

California senate spends your tax dollars on illegal immigrants, while the children of hard working, tax paying, law abiding citizens cannot afford to go to college.

• Miao_91335

Anybody who is a citizen and can’t afford collage must be so retarded. There’s so much help out there for citizens. Giving undocumented students the opportunity to go to college would only help California.

• Josh

Yeah, it’s not quite as easy as you seem to think it is. Been trying to get into school for 3 years, ever since I got my GED, and still can’t because I’m not over the age of 25 so I have to use my dead beat dad’s tax information rather than my own to get financial aid. But what would be the point in giving “undocumented students” as it’s worded so finely, a chance to go to “COLLEGE” not collage, considering if they are undocumented they shouldn’t technically be able to get a job. Just a thought.

• Cabeza de Pito

tough shit being born and feeling entitled….

• Anonymous

That’s cause we are…and you aren’t!

• Jeff Wells

I’ve seen too many Americans apologize for voicing their opinion against illegal aliens.  Too many Americans hope not to offend illegals, and look who’s knocking at America’s door: the Mexican Mafia, the Mexican Drug Cartels who are hovering at America’s most southern border, practicing their beheading techniques on their own citizens, waiting with baited breath to enter the United States.

I’m going to South LA and call all those poor African-Americans retarded because Miao_91335 told that’s the reason they have trouble paying for college. 

• Anonymous

Not to worry, Arthur, it is merely the hot air arrogance of illegal alien children who have done nothing but use the system all of their lives. They only look at things from their wants and needs, not about America as a whole. I hope their days end VERY soon!

• Pissed off taxpayer

College is a choice.  I should not have to pay for anyone to go to college not even legal citizens.  In my family if you wanted to go to college you worked and paid for it yourself.  Get off your lazy ass and pay for your own frickin college.

• http://www.facebook.com/people/Jason-Vargas/100001790779220 Jason Vargas

Okay dumb fucking liberal, so we as a country pay taxes to keep out country running while you are saying it’s okay to allow illegal foreigners especially Mexicans, to go in and dip in our funds just to add to the deficit? Are you mentality ill? It will help California how, by reducing the jobs market for actual red blooded Americans are entitled to? While people around the world come to my country dip in our tax dollar revenue go to college to steal our jobs, yeah dumb ass that sounds like a wonderful idea.

• Jonathan

So would you like ALL undocumented immigrants to simply leave the country? Because if so, expect prices to go up. Employers give undocumented workers shitty ass wages to keep prices low. On top of that, all the taxes they pay, they will never see in the form of Social Security. I would know, because my dad’s been working here underpaid (SO underpaid) for over 20 years, has always paid taxes, yet once he’s retired, he’ll have nothing to support himself with (yes, he’s undocumented). Undocumented immigrants get no welfare benefits when unemployed, extremely low wages for the work they do, no social security even though many always pay their taxes (at least every single undocumented person I know) and yet you won’t even allow those who attend college to receive some aid? Sheesh. 

“The bill also says that undocumented students would only be eligible for the competitive A and B type of Cal Grants if there are funds left over after all eligible California students have received their awards.”

Even after this? Sheesh again. College educated professionals are the kind of people we WANT in this country. That’s the reason the government gives aid in the first place- because it benefits the country. If it’s really that big of a problem for you to see the undocumented get aid, go to college so you can receive it yourself, instead of posting hateful comments on the internet. And stop generalizing and calling them “violent,” you ignorant assh*le.

• Guest

“So would you like ALL undocumented immigrants to simply leave the country? Because if so, expect prices to go up”
            If illegal migrants receive amnesty, the same thing will happen.  Citizens would not accept below-market wages.

• Jeff Wells

I pity the poor illegal alien in America, yet would deport all of them at the blink of an eye. 

• Trish

What part of the word illegal don’t you understand??  So in your world you get to pick and choose which laws to obey and which to ignore? I was brought up to honor my country and obey ALL laws.  Can I just overstay my visit in another country and decided I want to live there then expect to get ANY kind of benefit (free schooling, medical, college $) there?  You all know the answer to that.  I am all for LEGAL immigration.  You have to play by the rules.  ILLEGAL immigrants are a burden to our society and our government.  

• Jeff Wells

The members of the California legislature who voted “yes” on the Mexican Dream Act (AB131) need to be formerly accused of High Treason.  By their actions, however, Californians now know who its enemies are. 

The traitors who approved AB131 have, in effect, avowed “to make and to keep the political constitution of the United Mexican States,” rather than to “preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.”

If  Governor Brows signs the AB131 into law,  California will become the country’s first “sanctuary state.”

• Anonymous

You say that “giving” undocumented students the opportunity to go to college would only help California.” Really? What high horse did you get off of? Your being in CA has resulted in one of the most beautiful states becomming a third world cess pool! I use to live there! I don’t go back anymore except for funerals.

You may consider yourselves the best and brightest, but we don’t need you! We have the best and brightest of our own, and have had for many generations! Thus the reason that you are here, so that you can steal whatever we have created for ourselves…get it?!!!  You come from a 3rd world cess pool, but the irony is that you are trying to turn America in the same place you came from! You are bankrupting us! Be Gone! 

You should know that even though a citizen who can’t afford “collage”sic must be retarded, have you ever considered the fact that since you arrived, taxes have increased, and the education levels have decreased. The monies that tax payers have paid to send US CITIZENS to college will be decreased because you illegal alien gimmes are taking away from them? What makes you feel so entitled over and above American citizens, and people who are eligible and have come here legally?

• Jeff Wells

It’s ironic that Mexicans who have turned criminal in order to enter America illegally have been quoted by “Americans” who have said that the poor Mexican only came here “for a better life for themselves and their family.”  What a load of crap!  I live in a California “sanctuary city,” a haven for illegal aliens.  Illegal aliens from Mexico have done but bring their crap with them; they have turned a once-beautiful country into the toilet they thought they left behind.

The most recent U.S. Census dumbly counted the number of people in America and didn’t differentiate between “legal” and “illegal.”  That, in effect, throws everyone into the mix now doesn’t it?

With so many illegal aliens in America, with most of them from Mexico, we hear daily about people with Latino surnames committing the most heinous crimes in America.  The question is, however, are they here illegally?  Case in point: the crazy illegal mother who threw her crippled baby to its death off the parking structure at an Orange County hospital in California.  If that illegal alien had been deported to her native land, her insanity would have played out on distant shores; her crippled baby would have been born in a Mexican barrio, not on American soil.

I propose new legislation that correctly identifies an illegal alien when a Mexican, here illegally, commits a crime, so that when their crimes in America ares broadcast on television and radio, America will know, once again, who its enemies are. 

• Jeff Wells

(The last sentence in the first paragraph should read, “Illegal aliens from Mexico have done NOTHING but bring their crap with them; they have turned a once-beautiful country into the toilet they thought they left behind.”

• Catracha_4_ever

ok first of all illegal aliens are not all mexican. second you people are goin on and on about taxes….. illegal aliens would pay anytype of taxes too if they would be accepted in the american society…. are you really that dumb.. please TRY to think before you talk…. if you can think.. theres no special treament for illigal aliens.. they are just goin to be given the chance to live for the U.S.A…

• Jeff Wells

In the 1980s, President Reagan granted an amnesty to four million illegal aliens; that “amnesty” rewarded those criminals for entering America illegally.  When criminal activity is rewarded, you only get more criminals, thus the current estimate of between twelve and twenty million illegal aliens who reside in America since that amnesty. 

If Governor Brown signs AB 121 into law, what will prevent illegal aliens (and their illegal alien high school students) from running to America so as to take advantage of America’s “generosity”?

Come on, America, wake up!

• Jeff Wells

(That second to last paragraph should read, “AB 131,” not “AB 121.”)

• rcvfl

JAJA wow…I figured you knew what you were talking about but just as I though,you DON’T!

• Melo_0114

thank you! who goes to college and does nothing with their lives? people go because they want to BETTER themselves and be a productive member of society.

• 050290

EVERYONE PAYS TAXES!!! NOT ONLY LEGAL CITIZENS

• Common Sense

Really???  What state and federal income taxes do illegal aliens pay???  What property taxes do illegal immigrants pay??  The sales taxes which you’re referring to in no way are commensurate to the services dispensed to foreign nationals residing illegally on U.S. soil.  Pathetic. 

• Guest

“EVERYONE PAYS TAXES”
        Not exactly.  Most employers withhold taxes, and illegals presumably can’t apply for a refund.  But they also probably claim the maximum number of deductions to reduce the withholding.  Illegals who can arrange it work off the books and pay no tax.

• Anonymous

You are exactly right! What I have noted is that those that I know of who file tax returns are only interested in getting refunds!!!!

• Jeff Wells

Each year, illegal aliens receive over $1 billion in Child Tax Credits from the Treasury Department of the United States of America. (And Americans wonder why the country can’t pay its bills and is on the brink of going belly-up.)  Illegal aliens (who don’t, and will never, have a Social Security Number) use, instead, an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) when filing tax returns with the I.R.S.  This federal form of welfare simply goes unchecked by our government, and the refunds are issued blindly to anyone who asks for them.  An ITIN is used by illegal aliens to get refunds for some or all of the income taxes withheld through their illegal employment on American soil.

• Anonymous

Yeah, but the taxes you pay for mowing lawns and cleaning toilets doesn’t even begin to pay for the free education, breakfast/lunch, welfare, and medical services. You guys never think of it that way. Yet, I understand, illegal aliens have only a constant gimme in the US. They send most of their $$$ home, get paid under the table…and the few jobs requiring taxes don’t have the wage to counter the expense they create.

Yeah, you say you make purchases, therefore, you pay sales tax. Welll, unless you are part of a money laundering scheme, then you aren’t making enough to offset any of the expenses you incur. You saying the tax thingie is becoming an ongoing joke like, “…we are only here to feed our families.”  

• Jeff Wells

Mexican Assemblymember Gil Cedillo (who represents Mexico though California’s 45th Assembly District; the author of AB131) seeks to restrict the ability of a city in the Golden State to impound cars driven by people caught at sobriety checkpoints without driver’s licenses.  Many of the confiscated vehicles from unlicensed motorists are from illegal aliens.  Cedillo wants California to treat illegal aliens driving unlicensed as if they were a visiting diplomat, with all the diplomatic immunity inherant in such a title.

It’s time for America to haul in the red carpet it laid down decades ago for Mexico. 

• Anonymous

If you can’t afford to go to college, then you’re doing something wrong. There are plenty of opportunities out there to pay for college.

• Anonymous

• Anonymous

Yeah, like the old fashion way. Work and pay for it yourself!!! Especially since you are the best and brightest…majoring in spanish and chicano studies…gimme a break!

• Jeff Wells

I beg to differ, but to refer to “Spanish” as the language that a Mexican uses is really nothing more than an insult to the country of Spain.  A Mexican speaks and writes Mexican, plain and simple.

• Anonymous

True! …all signifying nothing.

• Guest

The  graphic at the following link  is  informative and should make any reasonable Californian question the current level of tuition  and model for distributing financial aid among students from various income groups.
      http://i51.tinypic.com/1zlydfc.jpg
      Family income under $80,000= Free UC education.
      Family income over $80,000 = No grant type aid.
      Forty percent of high school students hail from middle class families making between $80,000 and $120,00o and an even higher percentage of students who are UC eligible, yet this group only accounts for 7.5% of UC students. The middle class was priced out of a UC  education even before the tuition hikes of the past year. Is the group between $80,000 and $120,000 now only 5%?  It is time for Californians by Proposition to draft a model that will  equitably  price higher education and distribute  financial aid to all who are in need. This will  likely mean no free rides for  the group below $80,000 who will now have to take out loans but that is a far more equitable model than excluding a very  large segment of  academically more highly qualified students from middle class families.

• Anonymous

I think that we have created an entitlement culture. We don’t expect anything from people that we give aid to, specifically, illegal aliens. They open their mouths and say gimme on one side, while calling us racist and bigots on the other side.

They have never shown gratitude nor taken responsibilty for their actions. After having received a free education, they now are in line for college…gimme! They don’t care if the whole world is falling apart, just gimme! By the way, with all of this investment…it is illegal to hire them. I am sure obama will take care of that!

• Floresrudy

Amuncat: dont be ignorant man,,education benefits everyone who lives in the USA dont matter race or status,,,and let me tell you something bro i have never ask anyone for any free lance,,i had earn everything little by little,,,Go Dream Act !!!!!! Let’s show the people we can also be an educated race.

• Jeff Wells

An “educated race” knows their grammar and when to dot an “i” and cross a “t.”

• Eli_smith_88

Funny little thing, grammar all of you say that ‘Mexicans need to learn our language’, when none of you care to realize that you’re speaking AMERICAN not english. Also if you really must play that card, why haven’t you bothered trying to learn the ANY of the native tongues? Something else to think about is that the corporations are the ones who should be at blame for this, not another innocent group of natives whom you were taught to use as scapegoats for the problems caused by said corporations. Merely because you think you are above anyone who isn’t upper class doesn’t mean you are, sweetheart.

• rcvfl

Thank you for that reply,i earn everything little by little myself just like anyone else so yeah Amuncat…don’t be ignorant!

• Jeff Wells

The Federal government has allowed millions of illegal aliens to become  squatters and reproduce with wild abandon in America.  Most illegal aliens are Mexican, and their middle name is “Gimme”; America has, in a way, created this “monster,” because, year after year after year, amnesties are “promised” and demanded by many, but fade away.  I couldn’t imagine what it’s like to be an illegal alien in this country and not be able to enjoy what an American has available to him.  Just because I empathize with their plight, however, does not mean I condone their criminal activity.  America needs to adopt a President Einsenhower-like stance against these ungrateful, irresponsible aliens now: hire planes, trains and boats; load those vehicles with illegal aliens (as well as those “Americans” who support them) and ship them deep (DEEP) into Mexico so that when the vehicles prepare to return to this country, the illegals won’t be right back across the border into America the same day.

• Eli_smith_88

Funny, don’t remember your ancestors asking if you could be here. Oh wait, they didn’t they just committed mass genocide and decided that since we weren’t ‘Good christians’ we should be slaughtered like cattle. Also you do bring up a good point about these aliens, they squat on our land and make damn sure to fill it to the brim with their inbred offspring, there’s some thanks for ya rought theyer. Quit trying to play the whole, ‘we’re so oppressed as a people boo hoo’. If you had bothered to actually read anything in history class you’d know that you bastards did and continue to whine and bitch and piss and moan about how hard you have things when you’re the cause of all of it you idiot. Go look into history some and see, and don’t read that children’s story of a thing you call the bible, read an actual history book.

• Melo_0114

Why is it that when you refer to “ILLEGALS”, you follow with a comment about Mexicans going back to Mexico? Last time I checked illegals come from around the world? Maybe your ancestoers should have been sent back on a train, plane or boat too,their would have been one less ignorant person on this site.