Man beaten unconscious outside Cal-Fresno State football game

A man was beaten unconscious outside of San Francisco’s Candlestick Park prior to the start of the Cal-Fresno State football game Saturday afternoon.

According to the San Francisco Police Department, the incident occurred in the parking lot of Candlestick Park, when a sergeant on bicycle patrol responded to commotion coming from a group of people near a porta-potty station around 4 p.m. The sergeant then saw a man — identified by police as Benjamin Jiang, 26, of San Francisco — jump over the crowd. The sergeant then identified the victim, a 26-year-old resident of Manteca, Calif. Witnesses pointed at the suspect and said “that’s him.” Police apprehended the suspect at the scene and he was booked on charges of felony battery and causing serious injuries.

The victim was taken by ambulance to the hospital with “life threatening injuries,” according to the department.

The incident began when the victim got into a verbal argument with several fans of an opposing team regarding the use of porta-potties, according to the police report. When the argument became physical, the suspect stepped in and allegedly punched the victim who then fell to the ground and lost consciousness.

Police could not determine whether the victim was a Cal or a Fresno State fan, SFPD Sgt. Michael Andraychak said.

The case was discharged by the San Francisco District Attorney’s office, according to Erica Derryck, spokesperson for the office.

The altercation at the park comes just two weeks after violence broke out at an Aug. 20 preseason NFL game between the San Francisco 49ers and the Oakland Raiders, where two men were shot in the parking lot while another man was beaten unconscious in the bathroom at the stadium.

• Guest

The article does not make clear that “man” Jiang is the suspect. I expect better from the Daily Cal.

• Seer of Things

GO BURRRRRRS!

• KarmaIsaBitch

If you did it something like this you should own up to it,
     (prison? you earned it.)
    but you should save your remarks for the courtroom

NEVER TALK TO THE POLICE ABOUT ANYTHING,
    if they ask, you give your name and address,
    and you don’t tell them any fibs,
    and you never ever talk about anything else.