Daily Cal articles following 9/11 attacks: ‘Our Nation Saw Evil’

daily cal septemeber 11 front page

Below is a collection of articles that The Daily Californian printed in its September 12, 2001 issue. We hope this will illustrate and convey the atmosphere among the campus community immediately following the attacks.

‘OUR NATION SAW EVIL’

HIJACKED AIRPLANES RAM INTO WORLD TRADE CENTER, PENTAGON; AIRWAYS, STOCK MARKETS SHUT DOWN AS BUSH VOWS RETALIATION

UC Stays Open, Labs on Heightened Alert; Gov. Davis Closes All State Buildings
By Eddy Ramirez and Steve Sexton

The effects of the devastating collapse of the World Trade Center in New York rippled across the country to California and the Bay Area yesterday, where time seemed to stand still as state and metropolitan governments shut down for the day.

Gov. Gray Davis ordered all state buildings close and called on Californians to remain calm and united.

“This horrific massacre of innocent people will be seared into our hearts and minds forever,” Davis said in a radio address Tuesday. “Californians have always united in times of crisis and we will do so again now.”

All federal and local government buildings in Oakland and San Francisco were evacuated early Tuesday, following the terrorist attacks on the four U.S. flights, the World Trade Center and the Pentagon.

At 6:49 a.m. the Federal Aviation Administration grounded all commercial flights across the country. The radar screens in air traffic control towers showed only the extensive military and police aircraft that were deployed across the nation Tuesday afternoon.

At the San Francisco International Airport, 6,000 people were evacuated at 11 a.m. on 30 airport buses. An estimated 40,000 travelers were grounded following the FAA order.

Police then conducted an airport security sweep that was expected to last into the night.

By midday, all air traffic into and out of San Francisco was halted except for planes carrying FBI investigation teams.

Flights were expected to resume at 9 a.m. this morning, said Michael McCarron, assistant deputy director of the airport. But orders from the FAA headquarters in Washington that would allow the airport to reopen had not been issued by 1 a.m today. He said it could take up to 10 days for flight schedules to return to normal.

The San Francisco airport was last shut down in 1989 after the Loma Prieta earthquake. The airport is the fifth-busiest in the country, with 90,000 travelers passing through each day. It is the eighth-largest airport in the world.

BART commuters were warned about train delays after direct service from Fremont and Richmond to Daly City was suspended. BART officials also increased security in all trains and platform stations. It is uncertain when BART will resume its regular schedule.

The Golden Gate Bridge remained open to motorists yesterday, but was closed to foot traffic. The Bay Bridge was unaffected.

San Francisco City Hall was closed and all nonessential city employees were sent home as police searched for bombs in high-profile buildings.

Alameda County, likewise, closed nonessential county offices and activated the Office of Emergency Services. Police and rescue units stood on high alert.

Emergency response crews stayed close to the Ronald V. Dellums Federal Building in Oakland, which was evacuated early Tuesday following several bomb threats, said Michelle Fadelli, a spokesperson for the county.

In Berkeley, police evacuated the municipal courthouse. The Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory increased security, searching vehicles as they entered the lab and requiring employees to display their credentials. The Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, a home for the country’s nuclear research, closed entirely.

Ron Kolb, communications director for the lab, said it was prudent for the labs to increase their security because of the threat to federal installations.

Though Berkeley city offices remained open, the scheduled City Council meeting for Tuesday night was postponed until Thursday.

“We did this out of respect for the folks who lost their lives or were injured in these horrible events,” said Berkeley Mayor Shirley Dean. “This is not a time for elected officials to talk. It’s a time for the spiritual leadership of this city to express its feelings and reflect.”

Instead of the council meeting, a spiritual vigil was held at the Civic Center Park, where 70 residents gathered to reflect on the terror.

“It was a nightmare when I first heard about it,” said a tearful Berkeley resident, Jeremy Shafer. He said his cousin, who works in Building 9 near the World Trade Center, was able to escape unharmed.

Although Berkeley police and fire departments were placed on high alert, Dean said the city is not in any danger of being terrorized.

“We urge people to keep calm, to go about regular business and be supportive of the victims,” Dean said. “I don’t know what else we can do, the horror of this is so large that it’s inconceivable.”

Berkeley’s public schools remained open, and many classes watched the horror unfold on television.

Dean said the attacks, centered 3,000 miles away, have impacted “an amazing number of people in the city who have relatives in New York.”

One Berkeley resident nearly boarded United flight 93 from Newark to San Francisco, which was hijacked and later crashed just south of Pittsburgh Tuesday morning.

Joani Breves, a computer training program director in Berkeley, said she decided not to take the flight at the last minute. Instead, she waited for a noon flight from a nearby airport.

“It’s like a dream and you think you will wake up, but then you discover that it’s not a dream and you can’t wake up,” Breves said from New York, where she is visiting relatives.

The Berkeley City Council will join national and state authorities in easing the national blood shortage, Dean said. She said they will coordinate a blood drive at Alta Bates Hospital next week.

Campus Community Reacts with Shock, Sorrow
By Erin McLaughlin, Rachel Metz and Eddy Ramirez

Phil Nacionales sat nervously chain smoking at 10 a.m. Tuesday morning on the steps of Sproul Plaza.

He got a phone call at 6.30 a.m. from his father who told him to turn on the television and start calling relatives.

Nacionales, a UC Berkeley senior, has an aunt who works in the World Trade Center. As of noon yesterday, he had not heard whether she is safe.

“I just want to know if my aunt is okay,” he said. “I don’t know what to think. You don’t expect something like that to happen to our country. I just feel shell shocked.”

UC Berkeley students and faculty reacted with shock and horror yesterday to news that the World Trade Center in New York was gone and that part of the Pentagon collapsed Tuesday after hijackers apparently crashed airliners into the building.

Professors solemnly told their students about the tragedy as they walked into class Tuesday morning. Some instructors canceled classes, others talked about the incidents, and some proceeded with lectures without even discussing it, angering some students.

The Free Speech Movement Cafe, settled in the heart of the campus, was packed yesterday with students, staff and faculty glued to the television showing continuous CNN footage of the disasters.

One woman at the cafe suddenly burst into tears and hugged a colleague. The rest of the audience remained stunned by the destruction as the two faculty members left.

UC President Richard Atkinson released a statement indicating all UC campuses are still open. But security has been heightened and faculty and staff were encouraged to “take care of personal needs, vacation or take sick time as they deem necessary.”

The UC Berkeley campus, the epicenter of the Free Speech Movement, remained open Tuesday. The entire California State University system, however, decided to shut down for the day. Gov. Gray Davis also ordered closed all nonessential state and county offices in California.

The campus will only close should government officials announce a national day of mourning or if the campus receives credible terrorist threats, UC Berkeley Chancellor Robert Berdahl said.

Officials said the campus remained open so that students, faculty and staff could grieve and pray together.

“Our purpose is to say that we are a community,” Berdahl said at a meeting organized to inform student publications. “While we can close down buildings, and we can close down operations, we are not about to close down a community. We are determined that we will come together as a community to deal with this tragedy together.”

While the campus acted as a place of solace and some classes still convened, Berdahl said faculty and staff were allowed to take the day off at their discretion without losing vacation time.

Though Berdahl said no terrorist threats have been made to any campus structures or officials, security was heightened in response to the attack. The Campanile was closed, the UC Police Department increased presence on campus, and police officers took on extra shifts.

“We don’t have any sense that there is any danger here, but we just take precautionary measures,” Berdahl said. “We increased security. We did close the Campanile to the public. Those kinds of symbolic structures are perhaps more at risk.”

Berdahl said the heightened security would last as long as campus officials feel it is necessary, and he gave no indication as to when the Campanile would reopen to the public.

The chancellor said he did not know if any persons affiliated with UC Berkeley perished in the attacks.

Kathy Slusser, campus coordinator for the UC Berkeley Washington program, said there are 23 UC Berkeley students in research positions and internships in Washington. She said as far as the program director in Washington knows, none of the students were near the Pentagon during the explosion.

Not all of the 23 students, however, have been officially accounted for yet.

The ASUC called an emergency meeting for 3 p.m. yesterday to discuss possible repercussions on the UC Berkeley campus.

In conjunction with university efforts, ASUC officials were on hand to help students deal with personal losses and anxiety.

“We’ve got 4,000 new freshmen students, people who have come from home and arrived on this campus,” said ASUC President Wally Adeyemo. “They might be unsure where their relatives are. We made sure that the campus kept open today. We allowed them to know that they could come on campus.”

ASUC and university officials organized a blood drive with the Tang Center. Students arriving to donate were turned away because of the response.

Students React

At Sproul Plaza, the campus’s main social and cultural artery, students placed posters for passersby to write down thoughts and messages of consolation for the victims and others affected by the tragedy.

“Stop the hatred … stop the violence … stop the killing,” one poster message said.

“We must not answer with more death,” another said.

Muslim and Arab students said they fear Tuesday’s attacks will heighten the sweeping connection made sometimes between terrorism and the Middle East.

ASUC Senator Sajid Khan, a member of UC Berkeley’s Muslim Students Association, said in an interview earlier yesterday, “As an ASUC senator representing the Muslim community on campus, I’m deeply upset by today’s events-particularly the deaths of hundreds or thousands of innocent people.

“We, as a Muslim community at Cal, stand as students and as American citizens, and we stand hand in hand with those who suffered this great loss,” Khan said.

Most students, including Edwin Chan, simply expressed shock. “Shocked, nothing else. Just shocked,” he said.

Stephanie Jim said, “It’s unbelievable. I had friends flying back to New York. I am so glad that they are safe.”

Regents Meeting Canceled, Labs on Alert

The UC Office of the President released word that the UC Board of Regents meeting scheduled for Wednesday was canceled, but not for security reasons.

“Because all airplane flights are grounded, it was logistically impossible to get the regents together,” said UC spokesperson Charles McFadden. “We have no direct threats to UC facilities that we know of.”

The UC-run Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory was open for essential business only, and all nonessential personnel were sent home.

The Los Alamos National Laboratory in New Mexico was closed Tuesday as a precautionary measure and put on a security alert. The labs are expected to reopen Wednesday.

The National Atmospheric Release Advisory Center at the lab, which tracks airborne explosions and fumes, is on alert and ready to respond if and when an official call comes from Washington.

Police at UC Riverside have taken steps to guarantee the safety of international students. The mosque near the campus has been placed under police protection.

A UC Berkeley assistant professor and two graduate students created a Web site to help people learn if their loved ones are safe.

“This will help relieve people worried about their loved ones, without clogging phone lines that already are overloaded,” said Jennifer Mankoff, one of the Web site’s creators.

The Web site can be accessed at http://safe.millennium.berkeley.edu

Country Struggles to Grasp Scope of Catastrophe
By Rachel Metz and Steve Sexton

The day after the World Trade Center and a portion of the Pentagon collapsed, Americans are grappling with the magnitude of an event so catastrophic that air traffic was frozen and financial markets shut down.

Authorities can only guess at the number of people presumed dead.

“Thousands of lives were suddenly ended by evil, despicable acts of terror,” President Bush said in a televised address to the nation Tuesday evening.

“Today, our nation saw evil, the very worst of human nature. … America was targeted for attack because we are the brightest beacon for freedom and opportunity in the world. No one will keep that light from shining,” Bush said.

Yet, a shadow was cast over New York City at 8:45 a.m. Eastern Daylight Time Tuesday, when American Airlines Flight 11, en route to Los Angeles from Boston, crashed into the north tower of the World Trade Center.

Only 20 minutes later another plane, United Airlines Flight 175, also en route to Los Angeles from Boston, slammed through the south tower of the World Trade Center, even as evacuations began.

As rescue efforts began and fire and paramedics rushed to the scene, the towers collapsed, crushing rescuers and potential survivors.

The death toll may be in the thousands, wire reports say.

Just after the towers were hit, American Airlines Flight 77 bound for Los Angeles plunged into a part of the Pentagon, taking out a sizeable portion of the building. The death toll at the Pentagon may reach as high as 800 people, the Associated Press reported Tuesday night.

A plane bound for San Francisco also crashed Tuesday near Johnstown, Pa., at 10 a.m. The plane, United Airlines Flight 93, flew out of Newark, N.J.

The Federal Aviation Administration grounded all U.S. planes. This is the first time in aviation history that all U.S. airports have been simultaneously shut down, officials said.

Flights already en route to destinations were cut short, as some pilots were ordered to land in the nearest, safest airport on their flight path.

At San Francisco International Airport, officials said late last night that airports nationwide will most likely see an unprecedented hike in security measures.

“Flying as we know it is going to be forever changed,” said Ron Wilson, spokesperson for the San Francisco International Airport.

The level of airport security has been heightened to level 4, which is a level higher than that executed during the Persian Gulf War. (See related story inside.)

UC BERKELEY ALUMNUS DIES IN CRASH

A UC Berkeley alumnus was one among the 38 passengers who died aboard United Flight 93.

Alice Hoglan said her son Mark Birgham, 31, died a hero because he may have helped prevent the hijackers from reaching their intended target. He was sitting in seat 4D in the rear of First Class.

“The fact that he was so close to the action its likely that he was able to get these guys,” Hoglan told the Associated Press. “It gives me a great deal of comfort to know my son may have been able to aver their killing of many many innocent people.

She said Birgham, who lived in San Francisco and owned a public relations group, called her from the plane to tell her that the aircraft was hijacked by three men, who said they had a bomb.

Hoglan described her son as sensitive and athletic. Birgham played on the rugby team the year it won a national title.

EYEWITNESS ACCOUNTS

Bay Area resident Elizabeth Lehrberg was on a Southwest Airlines flight from Providence, R.I., when the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon occurred. Lehrberg found herself stranded in a Buffalo, N.Y., airport-hundreds of miles away from her Kansas City, Mo., destination-with hundreds of other passengers.

“At first we were supposed to continue on to Kansas City, Mo., but then the captain came on the loudspeaker again and told the flight attendants to prepare for landing. They took us down extremely quickly. It was a steep descent and a fast landing. As soon as we stopped at the gate they came on the PA system and they said, ‘As I’m sure you can tell, we’re not in Kansas City, we’re in Buffalo, New York, and every flight in the United States has just been grounded.'”

Many New York residents did observe the attack at the World Trade Center, as eyewitness and Newsday correspondent Susan Harrigan said in a telephone interview Tuesday with The Daily Californian.

“I heard a low-flying plane and saw emergency units racing down the street. A doorman said a plane hit the World Trade Center,” Harrigan said.

Harrigan ran as close as she could get to the twin towers, interviewing other witnesses to the crash.

“The police said, ‘Move back,’ and one second later someone said, ‘The towers are falling.’ It was like a disaster movie. First, the street was empty, then a cloud of debris four stories high started rolling down the street toward us, and we were not going to outrun it,” Harrigan said.

An estimated 300 firefighters were trapped underneath the rubble of the World Trade Center when the towers collapsed an hour after the collisions, retired New York City firefighter Gerard Gallagher told The Daily Californian by telephone.

“A lot of our brothers are crushed and incinerated from trying to rescue people from inside the building,” said Gallagher, who spent the day at the fire station.

Immediately after the building was hit by the first plane, an alarm was triggered alerting 100 rescue workers to the emergency, Gallagher said.

“Whole companies are missing now. People are buried under 100 feet of rubble. They can hear people crying underneath for help, but they can’t get to them,” Gallagher said.

He said he plans to assist in ongoing rescue efforts.

Students Unite In Campus Vigil
By Gregory Wesley, Jackie Soo and Patty Wong

Sproul Plaza glowed with candlelight last night as more than 2,000 mourners gathered to reflect on yesterday’s wave of terrorist attacks.

Speakers at an open microphone expressed their shock and grief and urged the U.S. government not to retaliate with more violence. The crowd applauded when one speaker blasted the United States for originating state-sponsored terrorism.

Another speaker paid tribute to Mark Bingham, a 31-year-old UC Berkeley alumnus who perished in the United Airlines flight that crashed near Pittsburgh.

Chancellor Robert Berdahl addressed the crowd and lamented the collective loss of innocence.

“We mourn our own innocence,” he said. “The world will never be quite the same again.”

Volunteers passed out candles as UC Berkeley students performed songs by John Lennon and The Grateful Dead on the steps of Sproul Hall.

“I’m glad that we can come and show that we support one another and show we do care about fellow Americans,” said Roger Simmons, a Vista College student. “It’s about time we joined as one, as a nation.”

UC Berkeley senior Elise Dekoker helped organize the vigil and earlier in the day provided pieces of paper on Sproul Plaza on which students could write their thoughts. Berdahl read several of the student statements at the vigil.

ASUC President Wally Adeyemo also spoke in support of a peaceful response to yesterday’s acts of terrorism.

“We send the message to the world that we, here at the site of the start of the Free Speech Movement, want to give peace a chance,” Adeyemo said.

A smaller vigil at Berkeley’s Civic Center Park drew about 70 East Bay residents, many of whom stood in silence with tears streaming down their faces.

“People could not appreciate what we had,” said Oakland resident Elizabeth Kanter. “That was just so disheartening that such peace and beauty could be interrupted so violently.”

The destruction at the World Trade Center in New York and the Pentagon in Washington instilled fear in some Bay Area residents in Downtown Berkeley last night.

“I drove across the Bay Bridge with the windows up and my seatbelt off because I was sure at any moment I was going to be in the Bay,” said Karen Lepri, a resident of Oakland.

What They Said

“A great people has been moved to defend a great nation. Terrorist attacks can shake the foundations of our biggest buildings, but they cannot touch the foundation of America. These acts shattered steel, but they cannot dent the steel of American resolve …
America was targeted for attack because we’re the brightest beacon for freedom and opportunity in the world. And no one will keep that light from shining …
America and our friends and allies join with all those who want peace and security in the world, and we stand together to win the war against terrorism.”
-President Bush

“It was like a disaster movie, first the street was empty then a cloud of debris four stories high started rolling down the street towards us and we were not going to outrun it … It looked like the aftermath of a nuclear war. White ash was all over the place, all over everyone. People were covering their mouths with handkerchiefs.”
-Susan Harrigan, Newsday Correspondent, Mother of a UC Berkeley Junior

“This horrific massacre of innocent people will be seared into our hearts and minds forever. Californians have always united in times of crisis and we will do so again now. We are one people, one people with many faces. This is a time for coming together.”
-Gray Davis, California Governor

“It’s one of the most heinous attacks certainly in world history. It’s something we had nightmares about and probably thought wouldn’t happen. We have undergone terrible losses and we are going to grieve for them horribly.”
-Rudolph Giuliani, New York City Mayor

“Our purpose is to say that we are a community. While we can close down buildings and we can close down operations, we are not about to close down a community. We are determined that we will come together as a community to deal with this tragedy together.”
-Robert Berdahl, UC Berkeley Chancellor

“The horror of it is so large. It is so large that it is inconceivable. This is not a time for elected officials to talk. It’s a time for the spiritual leadership of this city to express its feelings and reflect.”
-Shirley Dean, Berkeley Mayor

Editorial: A New Challenge for a Nation, Campus in Shock
By Senior Editorial Board

The unthinkable has happened.

America, the country believed by many to stand head and shoulders above all others, now stands without two of its tallest towers, the result of a terrorist attack of shocking magnitude.

The World Trade Center. The Pentagon. Four hijacked planes. We awoke Tuesday morning to images of a city in chaos and a nation stricken by fear. We watched transfixed-eyes open, jaws agape-with waves of anger and sorrow.

And now, like everyone else, we are left with numbing confusion.

Our normally insulated college lives were jolted. Tabling for clubs, campus politicking, even attending classes no longer seem important, at least for a day. The campus suddenly became a willing piece of a much larger puzzle: a nation in a state of grief and shock.

The impact of yesterday’s attacks has only begun to sink in for the campus community. Horrifingly, some on campus were affected directly, losing friends or loved ones. Uncertainties surrounding the attack make our helplessness even more profound.

Have we lost our innocence, or have we gotten more in touch with it? Are we shaken, brought to our knees by the devastation, or are we now stronger, and stirred to act? If this is “as bad as Pearl Harbor,” will there be another World War?

We urge readers to not let our confusion overcome us.

We must not allow anti-Arab or anti-Muslim hysteria blind our resolve for justice and transform it into a thirst of vengeance.

The national media did little help to avoid this, spewing images of celebrating but mostly uninformed Palestinian children. Commentators freely speculated that Osama bin Laden’s army of terror was responsible. With that, the seed of prejudice was planted into the minds of Americans who spent the day seeking a target for their rage.

The anger we feel toward those who acted in yesterday’s attacks should not spill over to fellow students or colleagues. These were the continuous statements from campus leaders like Chancellor Robert Berdahl, who made himself appropriately accessible throughout the day.

And yet in spite of the terror, the Berkeley community saw some uplifting moments.

Students gathered on Sproul Plaza all day to share their devastation, anger, prayers and plans. Later, overwhelmingly high student response caused a blood drive to turn away donors when supplies were quickly filled up.

Something deeper drew thousands to a candlelit vigil on Sproul Plaza. Students sang, recited poetry, spoke their hearts.

Still, hints of anger and political posturing simmered through. Some students walked away when rhetoric began to replace words of healing.

This event will be the truest test for a campus that celebrates pluralism, diversty and tolerance. Let us face the challenge together.

Column: Where To Now?
By Teddy Miller

The World Trade Center is no more. Manhattan’s skyline has changed, America’s psyche has been irreversibly altered, thousands of lives lost, millions of lives affected. Yesterday was the most traumatic, dramatic, horrendous day experienced collectively by most Americans alive today. It marked the end of whatever vestiges of innocence remained in generations X and Y. It is a day that each of us will be able to look back on for the rest of our lives and remember exactly where we were when we heard the news that terrorists had hijacked several planes and crashed three of them into symbols of American global power.

So where do we go from here? As individuals, as UC Berkeley students, as American citizens, what do we do to make sense of all this?

I overheard two college guys standing outside a cafe remarking on yesterday morning’s attack:

“So, we’re going to war?”

“Yeah!”

I imagine this sentiment is pretty prevalent across America. We are, after all, number one, and that idea has to be protected with displays of our military dominance across the world. With Bush in office and his sympathetic ear to military interests, there will undoubtedly be violent reprisals for yesterday’s attack. But where do you focus that anger? All foreign leaders have expressed their sympathy for America and condemned the “cowardly” attacks. Afghanistan and Palestine, implicated because of the Arab origin of the previous attack on the World Trade Center, have both openly denounced the attack.

The short answer is that we cannot treat this escalation in violence as an act of war. When the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor, there was a well-defined adversary to focus on. The perpetrators of this attack are not represented on any diplomatic level. Whoever they are-anti-federalist Timothy McVeigh fans, Osama bin Laden-trained Islamic terrorists or Vietnamese with an old grudge against America-they are not communicating through traditional means, nor is their war a conventional one. Their safe havens are small, numerous and malleable. Their leadership is liquid, underground and complex. Increased military pressure lacks any identifiable target.

Former Secretary of State George Schulz promised yesterday that “we will find out who they are, get rid of them and work to pre-empt them in the future. We will not change our way of life.”

Whatever hopes Schulz has about continuing the American lifestyle, this country has undeniably experienced a substantial change in the last 24 hours. Traveling by airplane will never be the same. Visiting a federal building will gradually become less scary … until the next attack. The new reality of surprise terrorists attacks has reached its intended target: the peace of mind of every American.

The fact remains that the American lifestyle, and the position the United States occupies on top of the world economy, inextricably ties us into the suffering (imagined or not) of billions of poor around the world. While the United States is admired worldwide for its material opulence, there is also widespread recognition that our economic strength is supported by our military presence across the world. Striking out and killing all of those involved in the conspiracy to attack the World Trade Center and the Pentagon will not prevent such attacks in the future.

The problem is rooted in America’s relationship with the developing world. As long as we are seen as the benefactors of oppressive regimes in Colombia, Israel and Turkey, among others, we will be a target of terrorist violence. As long as the Global South is mired in economic stagnation, they have only to look at the continued financial dominance of the United States to find their scapegoat.

A surface-level sweep of all identifiable terrorist organizations (or nationalists, depending on your point of view), will do nothing to change the fundamental relationships between the United States and everyone else. If we really want to prevent future attacks, we have to look sympathetically at the living conditions of everyone else on Earth. The combination of an increasing gap between global rich and poor, coupled with the fluid mobility of commerce, capital and people, make these attacks inevitable. The have nots are desperate, and some of them are apparently willing to make unprecedented attacks on civilian life to bring attention to their plights. We cannot smite this type of movement out of existence, because it is an organic, popular movement brought on by economic and political conditions we have been designing for decades.

Imagine for a moment what it has been like to be a Palestinian civilian living in fear of rocket attacks these past ten months (let alone the past half century). Imagine the terror of an Israeli going to the mall or taking a ride on a crowded bus. Imagine being in an Iraqi hospital ward and ducking from the explosion of missiles fired from American war planes. Now that fear is ours to share, and we would be foolish to attempt to solve this new reality with more warfare.

All Games Canceled Through Weekend
By Jason Jones

UC Berkeley Chancellor Robert Berdahl canceled all Cal athletic events through this weekend in the wake of terrorist attacks on the East Coast..

Football, volleyball, cross country, men’s water polo and men’s and women’s soccer are the sports effected. No plans to reschedule any of the games have been made.

The Cal men’s golf team was already competing at the Mid Pines Intercollegiate in Southern Pines, N.C. The teams in the tournament finished play yesterday morning.

Bears coach Steve Desimone talked to his wife, Linda, and said the team, along with San Diego State were unable to leave yesterday. Other teams in the tournament were able to drive back to their schools.

Until travel plans can be made, the team will remain in North Carolina.

“He’s not too excited about getting on a flight home,” Linda Desimone said.

Steve Desimone had been in contact with Cal athletic director Steve Gladstone and Linda Desimone said her husband would evaluate travel plans tomorrow.

If the the players aren’t comfortable flying, they wold rent a van for the cross-country trip back to Berkeley, Linda Desimone said.

“That is not Steve’s first choice,” Linda said. “(But) it could be Steve gets a van and starts driving.”

Under NCAA rules, only Desimone would be allowed to drive the van.

The football team was scheduled to fly from the Oakland airport Thursday morning to the airport in Newark, N.J., for a game against Rutgers Saturday.

Two Cal football players had family in the New York area. One player’s father, who head coach Tom Holmoe declined to identify, was in New York, but was not harmed.

Safety Bert Watts, who played at Ridge High School in Basking Ridge, N.J. also had reason to be concerned, but found out his family is safe.

“Bert is from New Jersey and he has people that were going to be in New York tonight and everything is fine with them,” Holmoe said. “Whenever this kind of stuff happens, it somehow comes close to home, and the magnitude of this is so much more. You hear about a plane crash and it affects everyone. And this is just way, way, way more.”

Plans to reschedule the game will be discussed. The earliest a possible makeup game would take place is Nov. 24, after The Big Game.

The Bears have an open date Oct. 6, but Rutgers already has a game scheduled. Cal officials would like to play the game, but it was the least of Holmoe’s concerns.

“I can’t imagine people wanting to go to a football game on Saturday,” Holmoe said.

The volleyball team was to host Arizona State Friday and Saturday at Haas Pavilion.

The men’s and women’s cross country teams were to compete in the Fresno Invitational Saturday.

Men’s water polo was slated to take part in the Southern California Tournament in Los Angeles Saturday and Sunday.

Men’s soccer was scheduled to face San Jose State Sunday, while women’s soccer planned to take on Santa Clara.

“I am shocked and greatly saddened by the tragic events today in New York and Washington, D.C.,” Berdahl said in a statement. “There may be no day in our recent history in which this nation has felt a greater loss. At this moment, we must come together to provide each other with comfort and caring support.”

The football team canceled practice yesterday and will resume today in preparation for next week’s game at Washington State.

Holmoe said some players have already expressed concerns about flying. The coach said he is being careful with the players’ feelings.

“Some of the kids are sensitive to this issue and are scared and nervous,” Holmoe said. “And in their lifetime, in my lifetime, in all of your lifetimes, we’ve never seen this. So to go about business as usual today is not appropriate, I don’t believe.”

Collegiate and Professional Games Called Off Nationwide
By Mark Mendoza

The collegiate and professional sports world reacted quickly in response to yesterday’s terrorist attacks in New York and Washington, D.C.

The NCAA released a statement yesterday saying they were talking with college presidents and conference commissioners across the nation on whether or not to hold this week’s athletic contests.

Cal has canceled all of its competitions scheduled for this weekend.

“The games themselves are insignificant in the face of what has happened,” NCAA president Cedric Dempsey said in the statement. “Our focus is entirely on the safety of student-athletes, athletics personnel and fans. We urge schools to make sound decisions about proceeding contests in the coming days.”

Two college football games scheduled for tomorrow night have already been postponed. The Ohio-North Carolina contest in Raleigh N.C., has been rescheduled for November, while the Penn State-Virginia contest has yet to be rescheduled.

Closer to home, Pac-10 schools began to cancel athletic events through this weekend.

USC canceled all practices yesterday and athletic personnel were given the option to go home. All Trojan athletic contests were canceled through at least Sunday as well as an on-campus memorial for late head coach John McKay.

UCLA also canceled all events for the rest of the week.

Oregon State called off its home women’s volleyball matches with UCLA and USC and it is undetermined on whether or not those matches would be made up.

“The ability for everyone to travel safely is important,” OSU athletic director Mitch Barnhart said. “Just recognizing the situation right now where we are as a country and we certainly can’t presume to understand all that’s going on from Corvallis, Ore. We’ll sort of have to see where all that takes us.”

The Pac-10 postponed all events for the remainder of the week following a conference call with all member athletic directors.

“In light of the tragic events which occurred in our nation today, it would be inappropriate to continue our scheduled competitions,” Pac-10 commissioner Tom Hansen said in a statement. “The safety and welfare of our student-athletes is our first priority, along with the safety of our fans. Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone affected by the immense tragedy that unfolded today.”

Conference officials said that there are no immediate plans to reschedule the games, but they will attempt to do so in the near future.

Professional sports were also affected by yesterday’s events. All Major League Baseball games scheduled for yesterday and today were canceled, including the final two games of the Oakland-Texas series at the Network Associates Coliseum and the first two games of the San Francisco-Houston series in Texas. Also, nine minor league playoff games scheduled for last night were postponed.

The PGA Tour canceled play tomorrow and scheduled to have players shoot 36 holes on either Friday or Sunday.

Major League Soccer postponed four of its games scheduled for today and a match between the U.S. women’s national soccer team and Japan was canceled.

The NHL moved all of its operations from its New York offices to Toronto.

The NFL will make a decision on postponing this weekend’s games within the next 24 hours. NFL games were scheduled to take place in New York, Washington, Baltimore and Pittsburgh this weekend, all near the sites of the terrorist attacks.

Golf Stranded While Others Start Practice
By Jason Jones
As published online on September 13, 2001

Athletic teams at Cal tried to get back to normal yesterday as most teams resumed practice.

The men’s golf team remains in North Carolina, awaiting a flight back to the Bay Area. The Bears were playing in the Mid Pines Intercollegiate in Southern Pines, N.C.

Cal finished fourth in the tournament, which continued play after hearing of the terrorist attacks in New York, Washington, D.C., and Pennsylvania.

“I’m a little disappointed they didn’t call off the tourney,” Bears’ coach Steve Desimone said.

Sophomore George Serra’s uncle works at the Pentagon, one of the terrorists’ targets, and had to wait two hours before there was confirmation of his uncle’s safety.

The team did its best to occupy its time in North Carolina by studying and practicing.

“It’s been a tough couple of days,” Desimone said. “Everyone was uneasy last night.”

Getting out on the links allowed the team some time to relax.

“We had an absolute blast playing today,” Desimone said. “(It was) great to see guys smiling.”

Desimone “gave serious thought” to driving back to Berkeley. Instead, the team will wait for a return flight

Today, Desimone was supposed to take his daughter, Kim, to start her freshman year at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo yesterday.

Desimone’s wife, Linda, said if he isn’t back by Friday, she will take the drive by herself.

“He thinks he won’t be flying (today),” Linda Desimone said. “No matter what, we’ll go on Friday.”

Should she get word the team will arrive sometime Friday, Mrs. Desimone said she would wait for her husband before leaving.

The team also has a fundraiser planned Monday for the golf program, but said the delay was a “minor inconvenience.”

Back on campus, most teams resumed practice and at least two teams, men’s and women’s soccer, had rescheduled this weekend’s postponed games.

Both squads will play their games Monday. The men will face off against San Jose State, a game originally slated for Sunday.

The women will play Santa Clara, another contest scheduled for Sunday.

The football team would like to reschedule its game at Rutgers, but no date for a potential game had been set. The Big East, the Scarlet Knights’ conference, has canceled all games and will resume regular competition Monday.

In the meantime, the Bears got back to work and will prepare for next week’s opponent, Washington State in Pullman, Wash.

While parents have expressed concern over flying to play the Cougars, there are no plans to take busses for the 600-plus mile trip, coach Tom Holmoe said.

“I think (the players will) be all right,” Holmoe said.

The Bears were eager to be back on the field and getting back to a normal routine, following Tuesday’s cancelation.

“The guys worked extremely hard,” Holmoe said.

The regular practice schedule will be used next week. The coaching staff used yesterday’s session to keep the team on track, now that a game won’t be played Saturday.

“We really stepped up the tempo,” defensive tackle Lorenzo Alexander said.

Column: Games Have No Place in a Time Like This
By Matt Duffy

We will all have a story of where we were, who told us, and what we were doing yesterday morning when the incomprehensible happened.

I was asleep when my cell phone rang. I don’t think my sister has ever called me at 7:15 a.m., so I knew whatever news she was about to give me wouldn’t be good.

“A plane has flown into the World Trade Center,” I heard Meagan say, but didn’t really understand. “And one of the buildings has fallen down. Another plane flew into the Pentagon.”

In panic and disbelief I turned on the television and was horrified along with the rest of the country. Everything else seems meaningless right now. Sports isn’t even secondary, it’s somewhere way back there on the scale of things that really count.

People, those who died, and those of us who are still here, are all that really matter.

In Berkeley yesterday, I found people from all over the country trying to cope. Every major college has an internet message board for its sports teams-usually a place of rumors, innuendo and slander-but yesterday these provided perspective in a place you usually wouldn’t expect it.

Since one point of view never really tells the story, what follows are the reactions of people from across the country. Although these posts might not have real names next to them, they were typed by real people. They are us.

This first excerpt was linked from several message boards and written by someone with the handle sr4canes:

Just wanted to share some things with all of you unmet friends. As some of you know, I work as a strategy consultant in NYC. I was scheduled to be on the 80th floor of the South Tower of the World Trade Center at 9:30 this morning. Yesterday, I canceled the meeting due to my ongoing summer cold. My girlfriend called screaming this morning as I lay in bed-crying that I almost died. I still am in shock-about what might have happened to me-and what has happened to dozens of friends that work in the Trade Center-classmates from business and law schools and colleagues from work. I can’t think straight about it right now.

ZagHoya04 posted this on the Georgetown message board:

I’ve spent the last hour up on top of LXR with it seems half the building. We can obviously see the Pentagon along with most of the federal buildings. Conflicting reports all over the place about more planes headed our way, so our eyes are to the skies. We’ve seen some F-15s flying overhead, hopefully just in case. No one knows quite what to make of it here, but the new phone system has made it impossible to dial out and get in touch with families. Classes have been canceled, at least for the day, and GU is saying to avoid mass transit. This is a terrible tragedy-God bless everyone involved.

elvado posted this, also on the Georgetown message board:

This makes this Hoya remember what really matters. I’m afraid to look at my alumni directory for fear of how many friends, relatives and others are directly affected. Prayer, meditation, reflection, whatever helps each individual should be the order of the day. God help us.

From CalRU66, posted on the Rutgers message board:

It will take hours just to check on friends and loved ones. My schedule for the day is on hold. Once again we have been struck here in the U.S. I also now can really feel the pain of Kosovo, Indonesia, Nigeria, Serbia, Palestine, Israel, Iran, Iraq and too many other damn places to name. After years, I had put to rest my two tours in Vietnam. But the dreams will now come back again. I pray for the victims, the injured, their families and the country.

From Gloucester Hoo, posted on the Virginia message board:

You’ve hurt us, temporarily. You’ve killed a lot of innocent people. But you will not succeed in shutting down the United States. World trade will resume, the workings of government will go on, people will rebuild their lives. You’ve hurt us emotionally, but brought us together as one because of it. You’ve taken away loved ones, but strangers to become family because of it. You will never succeed in damaging the American spirit of freedom. In the grand scheme of things, you’ve done very little. We, as Americans, will go on. This great nation and government allow us the freedom to live our lives without interference. This nation allows us freedom of worship, freedom of thoughts and speech. God will judge you for your actions . . . How ignorant you will feel spending eternity in Hell.

Other posts understandably spoke of quick vengeance against the terrorists responsible for the attacks. Some people asked if their fellow posters who worked at the Trade Center were OK.

Who knows where we go from here? Officials who canceled professional and college games did absolutely the right thing. The games will eventually be played and the results will be insignificant. But what happened yesterday will never be forgotten.