Panel discusses implications of DREAM Act

A panel at the Free Speech Movement Cafe Wednesday evening discussed the history and legislation surrounding the California DREAM Act, focusing on the experience of undocumented immigrants in California.

Panelists included experts on immigration law and Latino policy, including Lisa Garcia Bedolla, chair at the UC Berkeley Center for Latino Policy Research, Aarti Kohli, director of immigration policy at the Warren Institute on Law and Social Policy and Kevin Escudero, a doctoral student in the Department of Ethnic Studies.

“One thing I’ve learned is that change takes time,” Escudero said. “In the meantime, these youths must still find ways to eat, study, find work, travel home during vacations, and basically live life.”

Bedolla described the history leading up to the act, Kohli discussed the political ramifications of the act and other similar pieces of legislation and Escudero focused on undocumented Asians, who constitute a significant portion of the illegal immigrants that enter the United States.

Update to follow.

• Anonymous

I say we citizens need to give California what it wants, millions of young undocumented immigrants who desire a free UC education.  Tell their parents to send them here at age 15 any way they can, and we California residents can get in on the gravy train by providing them room, board, and assistance attending a California High School – paid for by their parents at $1000 a month.  It’s a great deal for their parents, since the room and board cost of $36,000 over three years will be paid back with one year of free UC attendence, the remaining three or more years of free education will net their parents a savings of at least $112,000.  It’s a win for unemployed Americans who cannot now make their house payments to collect the $1000 monthy room and board fee.  It’s a win for California Universities, who will need to expand to meet the demand.  And it will be a social win for California, which will soon have more foreign citizens than American ones, it can become the first state to give real meaning to the term “world citizen”, which will soon lead to the elimination of all nation states in favor of One World Government controlled and run by the World Bank and Bildebergers.