Cal overcomes mediocre play, defeats Colorado

As senior outside hitter Tarah Murrey rocketed a spike off Colorado’s Megan Beckwith to seal the final set, the No. 1 Cal volleyball team defeated the Buffaloes 3-0 (25-17, 26-24, 25-15) at Haas Pavilion on Friday evening.

Murrey led Cal’s offense as the only Bear with double digit kills, notching 13, but hit just .214 for the match. Middle hitter Shannon Hawari tallied a perfect eight kills in eight attempts.

Cal (12-0, 2-0 in the Pac-12) opened up with an easy set one win, but struggled early and often the second. After the Buffaloes’ Kelsey English knotted things up at 2-2, the Bears wouldn’t regain the lead again until a Christina Higgins kill made it 13-12. The Bears’ uninspired play continued, and the team eventually let Colorado (5-5, 0-2) push them to set point at 23-24. Cal then won three straight, taking the set 26-24.

With the score tied at 24 a piece in the second set, outside hitter Adrienne Gehan appeared to injure her ankle and had to be helped off the court. The sophomore would not return to the match.

Junior Correy Johnson, who has been nursing a sore hip, did not play in the first two sets, and only saw limited action in the final frame. She would finish with three kills in four attempts.

Cal will return to action Saturday evening, as they host Utah at 7 p.m.