This Week in Sound: reggae, electronica, and Mastodon, oh my

What do all three of those things have in common? Big events are happening this week for each!

Amoeba Records in San Francisco has a full weekend of in-store performances. The shows begin on Friday with an acoustic set and signing from Grammy winner Ziggy Marley, who will be promoting his fourth studio album, Wild and Free. The Reggae extraordinaire will kick off the jammin’ weekend, with a set from the Roots and Rhythm Series with DJ Harry Duncan the following Saturday.

The weekend concerts will close with an explosive DJ set and signing from Ladytron on Sunday, as the English electro-poppers support their latest album, Gravity The Seducer. Their eccentric show will act as a preview to their main event as they take over the Regency Ballroom later that night. More info on these Amoeba shows can be found here.

With all this talk of free shows, there’s also some not-so-free concerts that just went on sale yesterday! The National will be playing the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium on December 3rd, while Mastodon will be playing the Warfield a month earlier on November 3rd. Although these concerts and others are months away, better try to score your tickets now before others scrape them away.

In the world of CD releases, we have Hysterical, a spankin’ new album from indie rockers Clap Your Hands Say Yeah. Everyone’s favorite relaxing redhead Tori Amos also has a new album out this week called Night of Hunters. With a name like Velociraptor! why would you not want to check out Kasabian’s new record? It sounds like it could be ferocious, anyway. Tony Bennett, Thrice and the country-swingin’ Gavin DeGraw also all have some new albums coming out this week.

Latin legend Carlos Santana will be at the Shoreline Ampitheatre in Mountain View this weekend with comedian George Lopez. What oddities and shenanigans will take place this coming Saturday? Will Santana’s soulful refrains carry Lopez’s jokes with some sort of  wild mix of  comedy and slow-bending guitar? Or will it not live up to its hype? Come back after Saturday with your thoughts.