Photographer Spotlight: Jan F-F, Day Three

For the rest of the week, I’ll be focusing on pictures of architecture and various objects, since those areas are my focus as a photographer. The three pieces I’ll be posting today were shot at a few Los Angeles art museums, the first and third at LACMA, and the second at the Getty.

Jan Flatley-Feldman / Staff Photographer

I recently have begun to shoot in series – a number of shots which explore a common object or motif. This is from the beginning of a new series called, chairs (innovative title, I know). Specifically, it’s “Chairs I, Oxytocin.” Anyway, these are two chairs of a classic German modernist design with a similarly styled table. What you see as bits of bokeh (blur, that is) in the background are the stairs leading to the new contemporary branch of LACMA. The chairs sit, perfectly aligned, and in the middle, the table connects them, the boundaries blurring between the table, chairs, and concrete below. This was shot with a Canon 5D and Sigma 85 f/1.4

This piece is titled “Coalesce,” and it depicts the entrance to the Getty. A stairwell with no clear terminus juts out in front of the viewer, and in the distance a figure with a black dress blurs as she pushes a cart past a sign reading “Paris.” The perspective distortion emphasizes the sheer size of the building, which tapers to a glass dome. This was shot with a Canon 5D and Samyang 14 f/2.8

This final image is another from LACMA, specifically a display near the entrance and coffee shop. The shot isolates a small portion of the piece, where a series of plastic tubes meet the base and sometimes intersect with one another. In the foreground, a few of the tubes are in focus, and they quickly fade and blur together with distance. The piece is titled “Interconnected / Separate” and was shot with a Canon 5D and Sigma 85 f/1.4