Photographer Spotlight: Jan F-F, Day Five

Today is my last day of posts for now, and I’m going to finish off with a few shots from my favorite location, Downtown Los Angeles. I tend to return simply because there are so many interesting structures of varying vintages. The three images below were all taken this past March with a Canon 400D and 24-105 f/4L.

Jan Flatley-Feldman / Staff Photographer

This image is titled “Brain in a Vat” and is a simple shot of cars flowing down a street in Downtown. You might notice that the image seems almost fake, like an image taken of model cars; the image was manipulated to produce that effect. If you’re wondering, the combination of the narrow, tilted plane of focus, oversaturated colors, and downward angle of the camera produce the effect.

This second image, titled “Layers,” features the Los Angeles courthouse. There are rows of columns, an inner¬†courtyard, and a building, and you can see two figures, presumably lawyers, emerging if you look closely. The image combines a sense of symmetry with asymmetry.

This final image is titled “The Observer.” I was standing in front of city hall, taking pictures of various commonplace objects, and I saw a bird settle on the top of the lamppost. City hall was directly behind, so, naturally, I aligned the lamppost with the monument.

That’s the end. I hope you’ve enjoyed my images, and I hope they’ve caused you to think about photography and perhaps other things slightly differently.