Bears, businesses score with return of Touchdown Mondays

After Cal football’s Sept. 17 victory over Presbyterian College, Jeff Tedford — now the winningest coach in Cal football history following his 75th win — was not the only one with something to celebrate. Students received a record-breaking 30 percent discount last Monday at the Cal Student Store as part of the UC Rally Committee’s Touchdown Mondays program.

The program, which offers a 3 percent discount on select items in the student store for each touchdown made during home and away games, allowed students to receive a 30 percent discount — rounded up from 27 percent — because the Cal football team made nine touchdowns during Saturday’s game.

The discount was applicable to everything in the store except items in the computer department, textbooks and convenience items, according to Cal Student Store Director Jeff Deutsch.

Not only did the store offer a record-breaking discount, but it also saw a record-breaking increase in sales. In comparison with the Touchdown Monday that followed last year’s season-opener 52-3 victory over UC Davis, the student store experienced a 43 percent increase in sales, according to Deutsch. Additionally, the store saw a 325 percent increase in sales this Monday compared to the Monday after Cal’s 35-7 victory over UCLA last season.

“The amount of excitement in the store on a Touchdown Monday is just unbelievable,” Deutsch said. “And this Monday was no exception.”

The idea of Touchdown Mondays originated about two years ago when UC Rally Committee Chair Ryann Pollock approached Deutsch, looking for a way to increase school spirit.

“She really sold me on the spirit idea,” Deutsch said. “We really wanted to get people excited about having a loud student section at football games, and I was all for it.”

Deutsch said the program, in addition to increasing school spirit, has allowed the student store to focus more on offering students a good value for good prices — a goal the store hopes to achieve through other programs as well such as the textbook rental program and the 3 Point Play program that offers a 3 percent discount per three-pointer the Cal basketball team scores.

The student store does not place an official cap on the discount amount.

“If Cal scored 11 touchdowns in one game, then we’ll be celebrating with a 35 percent discount,” Deutsch said.

Several local businesses participated in this week’s program, including Pepe’s Pizza, Gypsy’s, Cal Gyros, Manhattan Roast Grill, Fa-La-La, Remy’s Mexican Restaurant and Ann’s Kitchen.

Suki An, owner of Ann’s Kitchen — located at Telegraph Avenue and Dwight Way — offered a 27 percent discount at her restaurant as part of the program and said she has observed a positive impact on her business.

“(The program) really attracts students to the restaurant, which is great because it’s slightly farther from campus,” An said.