College Republicans highlight discriminatory policy in SB 185

DcalBCRColor-1
Jaime Chong/Staff

Setting prices for baked goods based on race is blatantly discriminatory — in the same way that using race to judge college applicants would be discriminatory. The Berkeley College Republicans oppose any policy that treats one racial group different from another. Some people would call treating one ethnic group different from another racist, and we agree with that position. Any system or policy that judges you a certain way because of the color of your skin is discriminatory, and BCR is not okay with that.

California Senate Bill 185, which was passed by the state Legislature and now awaits Gov. Jerry Brown’s approval or veto, does exactly this.  It would “authorize the University of California and the California State University to consider race, gender, ethnicity, and national origin, along with other relevant factors, in undergraduate and graduate admissions.”  The bill provides no language in explaining how these factors would be considered, much less what “other relevant factors” would be considered. The vagueness of the bill opens a wide door for abuse and very little accountability.

Further, SB 185 does nothing to connect any of this information to the actual socioeconomic status of a college applicant. As the bill is written, public universities would be authorized to use race alone as a factor in the admissions process, but certainly the color of one’s skin is not the only factor contributing to one’s opportunity or access to higher education. Socioeconomic status is a fundamental component of the debate of equity and inclusion on our college campuses, but this bill fails to include it. Race should not be used as a proxy for socioeconomic status.

But why hold such a controversial bake sale? In fact, such bake sales have been done before, so what’s the point? Our “Increase Diversity Bake Sale” is in direct response to the ASUC’s sponsoring of a phone bank that will make calls urging Gov. Brown to sign the bill into law.  When the ASUC decided to not only take a position on policy but also sponsor a phone bank without ever reaching out to members of the Cal community who may have another view, BCR had to let another voice be heard. The phone bank intends to send the message to Gov. Brown that all UC Berkeley students support SB 185, but that is not true.

Our bake sale is intended to be at the same time and location as the ASUC-sponsored phone bank in order to demonstrate a physical counterpoint to the supporters of the bill. The decision to hold the bake sale was certainly to stir emotions in students and hopefully make them think more critically about a policy that judges students based on their race. It is also important to note that the event was unanimously supported by the BCR board, which includes Hispanic, Chinese and Taiwanese representation, with over half of the board being female. The notion that this event was planned by a bunch of insensitive white guys is harshly inaccurate and draws on false, negative stereotypes about Republicans.

Some members of the community have been outraged by our event, as they should be! Treating people differently because of the color of their skin is unquestionably wrong, and that’s how we hope people react to the satirical bake sale, along with SB 185. The point is that considering race in university admissions does exactly that — it treats people differently because of their race.

The strongest reactions have been targeted at the satirical pricing structure specifically, arguing that, for example, a black student is worth more than 75 cents for a cupcake, and we couldn’t agree more. We see the implementation of any race-based admissions policy to have a negative impact on any underrepresented ethnic group because of the stigma it would create toward members of those groups. I know that every single Hispanic, Asian, African American or any other student here at Cal has rightfully earned his or her place for having an incredible mind and strong work ethic. Race-based admissions should have no place in taking that credit away from underrepresented communities on our campuses.

So far, the Facebook event page has a little over 860 attending in support of the bake sale, and the event will go on as planned. The reaction on Facebook has been mixed, with a lot of opposition, but with some strong support as well. Both implicit and expressed threats have been made against the creators and supporters of the event. “Don’t make me show up to your porch with a spiked bat” was posted on the Facebook event, for example. However, BCR does not believe threats or intimidation should stop free speech.

Shawn Lewis is a junior at UC Berkeley and the president of the Berkeley College Republicans.

• Schapel2

This is an issue of distribution of resources from K-12 to college/university level: Note:
    WCCUSD Superintendent Harter (district student population about 30k) =$406,603
    http://www.mercurynews.com/salaries/bay-area/2010

President of US =$400,000
    Note UC salaries at same site.  How many pages over  $100k?

Top earners UC Berkeley:
    Jeff Tedford HEAD COACH 5 $2,338,409.39
    Michael J. Montgomery HEAD COACH 5 $1,606,588.82
    Joanne Boyle HEAD COACH 5 $658,691.22
    http://open.salon.com/blog/daveintokyo/2011/0  “How_much_does_a_nobel_laureate_make?”
    Compare coach amounts to amounts made by 56 Noble Laureates.

Why does this matter? Tuitions charged is dependent on salaries, pensions benefits, both current and projected. Who gets in and who pays how much same issue.  Why new universities not being built so all can attend-same issue.  Destruction of middle class, same issue.                                                 As long as you have this much going to top situation is unsustainable. The bottom (students) dicker and insult each other and divide.  That’s exactly what the POWERS want you to do.  It will get you nowhere. Do your homework if you want change. Go by facts, numbers. Good Luck.

• CA Taxpayer

According to a recent Chronicle article, under-represented minority enrollment has dropped from 20 to 16% since the passage of Prop. 209.  I would suggest that the decline in minority student enrollment is not because of 209, but is actually due to UC’s policy of increasing out-of-state admissions for the purpose of increasing cash flow.  The Administration has acknowledged this policy, but been coy about providing data. 

It is time for the Administration to come clean about this policy which denies admission to qualified California residents and reduces the minority representation among the student population.   

• Guest

“denies admission to qualified California residents”
      UC’s administration is not responsible for this reduction.  The legislature provides an annual subsidy for a certain number of “budgeted FTE” California students.  For the past several years this subsidy has been sharply cut.  UC campuses have actually overenrolled to admit California students with no state support.

• Saba G

Shawn, I understand that you feel as though considering race or
    sex as a factor of admissions is unfair to those who have worked hard by merit
    to attend a college or university but honestly, I don’t think you understand
    the bigger picture here. As an African American and a female student at Cal, I
    understand that this bill may be unfair to many for the above reason, even so,
    I also understand that little has been done to address the issue of systemic
    inequality. I assume that you are aware of the ramifications of colonialism,
    the slave trade, and the racist policies extending over history (considerably
    before the Civil Rights Movement). In regards to senate bill 185, I personally
    see it as a crucial step we as a society need to take in order to begin the healing
    process, a progressive process, towards the ideals our nation was originally
    founded upon. Shawn, I don’t intend to lecture you, but help you understand
    that historically, even statistically, African Americans and other
    underrepresented groups of people have been linked to economic, psychological,
    and cultural struggles in order to reach higher education. I don’t believe that
    the bill was drafted to support racial profiling in higher education; rather,
    it was drafted to support the consideration of race as one of the many factors
    (including academic merit) a student possesses. Shawn, I don’t know you but I’m
    interested to learn whether or not you’ve ever worked with high school students
    in low socioeconomic neighborhoods or even took a walk or drove in the hoods of
    West Oakland or Richmond. I do both activities everyday when I drive from my
    home in West Oakland to the high school I advise at in San Francisco and I
    can’t express to you enough how large of a burden I’m carrying on my chest. I
    work with students of color who genuinely believe that higher education is not
    in their right trajectory and this perception stems from structural
    inequalities that are deeply embedded in our society. I see senate bill 185 as
    the (re)affirmation of people of underrepresented groups who statistically (you
    can look up the numbers, it’s a fact) struggle to allocate the same resources
    and support that others of more privileged groups have easier access to through
    their families, wealth, and frankly, a reality that’s starkly different from
    underrepresented groups of people. You are correct to say that the
    implementation of any race-based policy would have a negative impact on
    underrepresented groups because of the stigma generated by it, nonetheless, I (as
    an Eritrean American, person of color and female) could give a damn about any
    of the stigma at this point, that’s an issue we could address later. As long as
    people of underrepresented groups are given the opportunity through senate bill
    185 to reach their maximum potential in higher education, I happily accept the
    stigmatization that would inevitably come with the legislation. Not only do I
    see this bill as necessary to pass in order to begin the healing process we so
    necessarily need as a nation, I see it as our reparations for past and current
    structures of discrimination and inequality. I understand that deep down
    inside, many across the nation, perhaps even you Shawn, are feeling intimidated
    about the potential ramifications of this bill if it does pass, but the cards
    have been dealt in favor of the privilege for far too long and its time others
    got a winning hand. There’s no losing for underrepresented groups if this
    legislation passes.  

• Abc

In your above statement, you talk about low socioeconomic neighborhoods.  I think that the author of the article is trying to make the point that you should directly use this measure of socioeconomic status — and not race as a proxy for it — as a determining factor

• http://pulse.yahoo.com/_WRACM77JT2RXUR3LMGDPPUGUYY Tony M

[As an African American and a female student at Cal, I understand that this bill may be unfair to many for the above reason, even so, I also understand that little has been done to address the issue of systemic inequality.]

“Systemic inequality” in terms of what? OPPORTUNITIES or RESULTS?

• Anonymous

Saba, you say you are an Eritrean American.  With all due respect, when did my ancestors every wrong your ancestors?  Your ancestors were in Eritrea when American Blacks struggled with slavery and civil rights.  You or your parents chose to fly to America and were never forced to come.  Any disadvantages you may have due to your skin color were the fault of Eritrea and not America.  I think it’s unfair that you or your children would get preferential admission under SB 185 solely because of the color of your skin, even though you share none of the historical grievances of American Blacks who are descendants of African slaves.

And here’s a prime example how farcical this whole AA thing has become. Back in the 1960’s, there may have been SOME rationale in granting special consideration to individuals who may indeed have been directly discriminated against, but NOBODY applying for admission to a UC school today suffered any type of direct discrimination a la Jim Crow. Africans from Eritrea and illegal aliens from Mexico now get special consideration over whites NOT because they suffered any form of discrimination in America, but solely based on their skin pigmentation. THAT is indeed racism.

• Anonymous

Saba, you said “… begin the healing process”.  Don’t you think the healing process has already begun with the Civil War and Civil Rights Act?  Affirmative Action has been tried, we have laws preventing discrimination, Latinos control California’s legislature and we even have a Black President.  But to you, the healing has not begun yet.  When will the racial preferences for Blacks and Latinos end?  When half the CEOs are Black?  When every West Oakland family can afford a new Escalade?  It just seems to me self-identified victims have an interest in justifying their preferential treatment forever, and SB 185 is an example of that.

[an Eritrean American, person of color and female]

Remind me why we owe special treatment to people from Eritrea. On which slave ship did you come over again?

You can see how ridiculous this whole AA bit has become…

• http://capitolcommentary.com Harrison

It’s UC Berzerkely of course people there will flip out.

• ggm1101

Not all people are given the same equal opportunities, you must see both sides. Yes, it may seem unfair that gender, race, ethnicity, national origin, and other relevant factors are considered during the admissions process but look at the other side. People who attend school in low-income communities are not provided with the same resources, as other schools. There is enough money that is not being distributed equally throughout California. A good amount of students that have outstanding GPA’s and SAT scores come from good schools. They come from schools in which teachers actually give a shit about their education. But there are students who are told that they will not amount to anything and have teachers every year that dont care to teach them. So before you conservatives look at this as racism, which it is not (think about the priviledges that have been handed to you do to the color of your skin) Think about how many times you’ve actually experienced racism, subordination, and an un-equal education.Y’all dont know what it is to be like in  someones shoes who is being constantly judged. In order to fix the problem, it must start form the roots, and I mean all way back to kinder up t’ill high school provide everyone in California with resources, good teachers, and tutors then we can talk about how  sb 185 would be unfair. That is obviosuly impossible because of all the greedy capitalist that do not pay their taxes, that is why UC went up 32% and then an additional 9% increase was implemented. And for y’alls information I Chicana that came from LA from a very low-income high school and im about to graduate and move on to get my PHD in Spanish Literature( but I am the hard working independent exception)

• Anonymous

Congratulations on getting your PhD.  Have you ever thought that you led a privileged life compared to Chicanas still living in Mexico?  Their struggle for survival surely must be tougher than your relatively tame L.A. childhood.  How would you feel if they were given higher preference for admission to Cal than Chicanas who grew up in L.A.?   Think back to that time your mother bought the first home computer.  How you stayed up late to explore AOL.  Then you find out, because of access to a computer, you are now considered “privileged” and will need a higher GPA to get into Cal.

• ggm1101

I am well aware of my life and what I have lived. I should have been more specific; what I meant to say is that I will be graduating with my BA and heading to grad school. I did not have a computer or own a lap top, I constantly go to the library and borrow laptops from the school so dont ever make assumptions. My life is privileged compared to those who live in Mexico, I am not denying that fact or have stated that, that is not true, so learn not to put words in peoples mouths. And until you go through a life like mine in which you are a full-time student and have a full-time job just to pay for rent then you have a right to judge my life. I am merely stating the inequalities that have been dispersed when it comes to education. Like I stated, we must solve the roots of the problem before hand. People are just outraged, because whites feel like this is a threat to their admissions which I clearly understand, but how about if you were given the educational inequalities that many low-income students receive would you be having this conversation with me, would you have received an education that has led you to your academic success right now? Ask yourself those questions and get informed and educated, because you clearly have no clue what children who are not given the education that they are entitled struggle with. Until you understand that, then maybe you will see my point. I do take the people of Mexico into consideration, and of course AB540 students. I am an activist and have sought to help with gaining the rights of workers on campus, professors, and stopping student fee hikes. But anyways, the inequalities will continue. You may feel bothered that this is a form of reverse-racism but it honestly is nothing compared to the in-equalities that non-whites go through.

[ I did not have a computer or own a lap top, I constantly go to the
          library and borrow laptops from the school so dont ever make
          assumptions.]

Oh, no computer or laptop? Poor baby. If that’s the best example you can come up with for being “disadvantaged”, then you clearly had it better than 99.9% of the people on this planet. What a crybaby…

• ggm1101

Tony, im not crying about anything I have made it here with my hard work. You are just not educated enough to see my point. I want to speak out for those who are not given equal educational opportunities, but it has been brought to my attention that you will never know or recognize the struggle many minorities must go through. This is not at all reverse racism and the only reason that you are angry is because you are white and you feel threaten. I am pretty sure you are way more privileged than many so before you can judge me check your white male privilege. I dont cry dude I get up and kickass, because something you dont know is that we people of color dont have time to cry. 

• AH2013

ggm, you don’t understand.  If you care so much about “unequal opportunities,” you should be opening up a non-profit organization to help educate at-risk youth.  It makes absolutely no sense to support racist legislation for your own selfish, ethno-centrist desires.

• Guest

What’s your major?  And what’s your GPA?

[Tony, im not crying about anything I have made it here with my hard work. You are just not educated enough to see my point.]

I am educated enough to have not only graduated, but to have been gainfully employed in a capacity related to my field of study (I work as a process/controls/system engineer).

[I am pretty sure you are way more privileged than many so before you can judge me check your white male privilege.]

Oh, I must be privileged because I’m white. Sorry, but you’re the one who is the ignorant racist around here.

• Guest

“if you were given the educational inequalities that many low-income students receive”
          If I could read only at fourth-grade level, I wouldn’t demand admission to UCB.  It would only be humiliation.

• ggm1101

dude you are funny…im surprised that the only thing you picked on from my statement was my grammer and that is because what I stated was the truth. If you are educated as you indirectly have implied you can see that selling goods as a mockery of this bill was stupid and racist. 

• Guest

“the only thing you picked on from my statement was my grammer”
            I wasn’t commenting on your grammar (note the spelling) at all.  I was saying that students subject to “educational inequalities” aren’t prepared to compete at the university level and face a humiliating failure.  The appropriate course isn’t to admit unqualified applicants; it’s to assure that every student gets sufficient academic preparation before applying.

Your semi-literate reply only reinforces the argument that SB185 promotes admissions for individuals who are neither intellectually nor academically prepared for college.

• Anonymous

You either didn’t understand my question or chose to ignore it.  I never questioned your qualifications for being here.  I asked how you would feel if a Chicana from Mexico, who has struggled more than you did, took your place at Cal?  You are clearly more privileged compared to the Mexican student, so should that count against you?

[You either didn't understand my question or chose to ignore it.]

I have read enough of this person’s numerous incoherent, poorly worded posts to start developing a headache. He or she clearly has some reading comprehension issues, as well as a demonstrable inability to communicate his message in a clear and concise manner. AA material for sure…

• ggm1101

lol stop trying to correct my mistakes and try to understand the bigger picture. I am trying to explain why this bill was created.

• Guest

He is addressing the bigger picture.  Poorly educated students aren’t prepared to do academic work at the university level.  The bill will accomplish nothing if it encourages false hopes in students who have no prospect of graduating from UC.

[lol stop trying to correct my mistakes and try to understand the bigger
            picture. I am trying to explain why this bill was created.]

It’s pretty clear to a lot of us why this bill was created, and why you support it. You’re clearly not college material.

• ggm1101

Ok, the bill would enforce that race, ethnicity, national origin, and gender be considered when a person is applying to a UC or CalState that does not guarantee them automatic admission, so calm down. I am just trying to help you understand the fact that children all over California are not given the same education. There is an unequal distribution of resources and good teachers. So those who are low-income which are mostly minorities will end up attending schools that dont give a shit about them. It is harder for a young teen to graduate from Compton High School to go to a UC, because that person is not even at the educational level that they should be. The education system is to blame for this, that and of course capitalism. I just wanted to make that clear, I dont care to go into a stupid argument. Those of you that are outraged should seriously analyze the situation to truly see where the problem lies. 

• Guest

“It is harder for a young teen to graduate from Compton High School to go
            to a UC, because that person is not even at the educational level that
            they should be.”
            There’s some sort of weird implication here that a barely literate graduate from Compton High should attend UC.  Why?  He/she wouldn’t be able to comprehend textbooks or other readings, wouldn’t be able to write papers or bluebooks, wouldn’t be able to participate in serious discussions.  He or she could only drop out or flunk out.

• Anonymous

ggm1101, if children don’t get the same education the answer is not to lower the college admission standards, but to raise the high school graduation standards.  But wait, Blacks and Hispanics don’t like that idea because large numbers of Black and Hispanic kids would never get a high school diploma, which is another reason most employers see no value in a high school diploma and require at least some college education.

• Anonymous

“The education system is to blame for this, that and of course capitalism.”
            Yes the education system is to blame, but you have to separate the K-12 system from the university system.  The K-12 system is heavily influenced by the Teacher’s Union, which is in bed with Democrats who pander to minority votes.  Democrats want to lower high school graduation requirements which necessitates lowering the college entrance requirements.  But underrepresented minorities don’t want to destroy the reputation of the prestigious universities too much, so the entrance requirements for whites and Asians are tougher than ever.  Thus minorities can blend in with the brainy whites and Asians and pretend they are just as worthy.  There is some poetic justice in all this though.  When the Ethnic Studies students graduate and look for a job, thinking a Cal degree means something, they will be rudely awakened.  Of course they’ll blame their unemployment on racism again because their Ethnic Studies professors insist all their problems are due to racism.    

• Guest

“are not provided with the same resources, as other schools”
      Then that’s where the effort should be applied.  What’s the point of admitting an illiterate to college?

• Guest

You do realize that this bill does not solely apply to race. It can apply to socioeconomic status as well meaning that the college would have an excuse to allow a white student entrance and reject a student of color if the white student can pay full tuition and the student of color could not. 

But it works the other way too, if two students one of color and one that is white both have the same grades, gpa, financial needs, the student of color would be allowed to be give priority over the white student. I do not disagree about the de facto segregation in the school systems and that is something that truly needs to be fixed. This, however, is not the answer because it fights discrimination with more discrimination.White, Black, Brown, and Yellow are all colors. Your skin pigmentation should not have bearing on your admission into college. 

• Anonymous

Thank you Shawn for having the bravery to speak out in a hostile and close-minded environment like U.C. Berkeley.  The bake sale has completely upstaged the undemocratic pro-185 phone bank and people around the nation, including Democrats and Independents, are chuckling at how thoroughly the BCR has outmaneuvered the racial-preference liberals.  You did a great job on KQED-FM too.  I’m proud of you!

• Schapel2

Are these ‘adjustments’ being proposed on the basis that people of different ‘races’  are ‘disadvantaged’ in America?  Then why are there more so called “white’ people in poverty in US  in ACTUAL NUMBERS, but they don’t get special consideration?  And why is this never in the media?  Who owns, controls the media?
    google: statehealthfacts.org/profileind.jsp?rgn=68ind=148cat=1

Opinions are interesting. Facts have power.
    PS: Post website and actual numbers in US at bake sale and lower price for whites.

• said_so, Hindu

how about religious based admission. I am a Hindu and they are minute minorities in this country, we should have special privilege, right :)

• Matt

I think Jerry Brown should run for president as a final blow in destroying America.
    I mean isn’t this what our present two party system is doing along with the special interest groups that put these people in office?

• http://pulse.yahoo.com/_HN2TV7MJNLAZCYACLTA2A3LZUM Thomas

The two-party system is the only thing that SAVED America.

Germany didn’t have a two-party system which allowed a motivated, driven, minority fringe party of Socialists to take over the entire country.

The two-party system stamps out that possibility completely.

• a young man

what the hell why did this damn bill ever even get passed i say good for them they did what was needed to bring more attention to this fact i do not know how this bill has even gotten this far but it needs to be stopped because if it does not stop well qualified young men and women from getting into good schools and furthering themselves this country and this world then it brings the threat of doing just this in later generations i am still young and still have a lot to learn before i even get to go to college but i thank these people for taking action against this and in doing so has helped ensure i wont be rejected by colleges when that time comes thank you on behalf of my generation 

• Old Alum

Well, Young Man, here’s Old Alum who agrees with you.
      BRC, thank you for following the true traditions of a great world class university. Incite dialog, welcome all viewpoints, and best of all, do it with élan and satiric humor.
      For those in disagreement with the BRC, it a delight to read your well crafted responses. (Would that they all were…)
      No matter your feelings, beliefs or thoughts on either the bake sale or on SB 185, I hope you appreciate the fact that this type of dialog can ONLY happen at a place like Cal. Far too many of our other U.S. Universities are self stifling their voices these days, in the shadow of Political Correctness.
      Keep talking, keep thinking, keep changing the world. Tag – you’re it.

• http://profiles.google.com/yanshen71786 Yan Shen

Shawn, I think the pricing of your bake sale is off. Asian Americans are held to a higher academic standard than white Americans. So, in order for your satire to be accurate, you should’ve priced Asian Americans at $2.00 and whites at $1.50. The real issue that the Berkeley College Republicans should be addressing is why white legacy and athletic admits get in ahead of academically superior Asian American candidates.

• Guest

Asian Americans  are not held to a higher academic standard than European Americans.  UC   biased its admissions to favor Asian Americans 
      to pacify  the Asian Coalition’s demands twenty five years ago.
      The Asian Coalition asserted that UC admissions discriminated against
      Asians: 1) by considering the SAT Verbal score, now called the Cr but
      without the Analogies,  since English was a foreign language to many
      Asians; 2) that requiring a minimum 400 Sat Verbal score at Berkeley
      discriminated against Asians; 3) requiring 4 years of one foreign
      language or two years or two foreign languages discriminated against
      Asians; 4) having no Achievement tests(Sat Subject Tests) in
      Asian Languages discriminated against Asians .
      The Sat verbal score(Cr) was and is far more
      heavily weighted in admissions at most highly selective universities
      than the Math score for all but potential Engineering majors;   the gap
      has narrowed in the twenty five years but Whites still outscore Asians
      on the Cr, but not to the degree  that Asian outscore White on the Math section.
      UC’s
      response was to start double counting Sat Subject Test scores
      thereby minimizing the Cr score, no longer requiring four years of one foreign
      language or two years of two languages, lobbying the College Board to
      offer Achievement tests in Asian languages, and a myriad of other
      changes, after which Asian enrollment soared.
      Under Comprehensive
      Review,  Asians are favored since GPA is now the overriding factor 
      with test scores a relatively minor consideration. Lower income Asians
      tend to have high GPA’s at relatively uncompetitive public high schools
      and since the GPA is not normed to the competitive level of the high
      school, this greatly disadvantages students with lower GPA’s and higher
      test scores at highly competitive middle class/upper middle class/upper
      class high schools.

• DCT

How are Asians favored?  The requirements to get accepted into Berkeley is the same for everyone.  Not our fault we score better in Math Scores and get higher GPA’s.  You complain they  lessened the value of the SAT Verbal (critical reading) but that also makes it easier for you too does it not?  It is not like the school holds white people more accountable for doing well in the critical reading portion.   And you say that low income Asians go to noncompetitive schools so it is easier for them to get a higher GPA?  Aren’t you making the assumption that all whites are rich?  Furthermore, you also forget that Berkeley puts into consideration your class size and rank.  This nullifies most advantage of getting a high GPA at an easy school because there can only be so few at the top of the school.  And just why is it unfair for there to be Asian language on the SAT.  Last time I check, there were SAT subject tests in French, German, Italian, Spanish and even Latin.  One half of this world is Asian.  Does it not make sense for there to be an Asian language on the SAT?   

Did you know the Constitution and all Founding Documents are written EXCLUSIVELY in English.

Of course not.  You don’t know anything about America, which is why you hate it.

• DCT

Ok.  I agree and know the constitution was written EXCLUSIVELY in English.  What is your point?  

And I do not hate America.  Don’t assume anyone who disagrees with you hate America.  And I doubt you know more about America than I do.  

• Anonymous

Guest, interesting history. Twenty-five years ago, I’m sure these changes did benefit Asians as well as other ethnic groups where English was a second language.

A generation later, English is a primary language for most Asians, so how does this favor Asians today?  Also, it’s pretty presumptuous of you to think today’s Asians come from uncompetitive high schools when in fact, the majority of Asians come from highly competitive upper middle class high schools. One only has to look at CA’s highest ranked school districts to see what ethnic group comprises the majority.

• Ransom140

Because statistically asians are half as likely to get accepted into UCs and other Ivy league schools than white. Even if you account for income, education and other factors.

• JohnS

A law which allows for racial considerations in admittance without
    specifying what those considerations actually are is in fact a de facto
    allowance of affirmative action, which was prohibited by state law. 
    SB185 attempts to skirt the issue by delegating its implementation to
    other parties.  In effect it legalizing looking the other way.

I’m a minority, a democrat, and I was hardly offended by the bake sale.  This is because I looked at the event from two different, opposing angles. 

There
    are two basic ways to view the sale.  First, one could interpret the
    event as charging people different prices for the same goods, based on
    their race and sex.  In this regards an Asian male would pay more for
    the same cupcake as say, a Black female.  Both receive the same goods,
    but the Asian male is made to pay more.  A second way to view the sale
    is to attach an racial or sex based value onto the cupcake itself, and not the purchaser. 
    Along this line, the same cupcake is viewed as White, and placed at a
    higher value than say, a Native American cupcake.  In both cases it is
    still the same cupcake.  Those who are offended by this ascribe to the latter view. 

The latter view however is not logically coherent.  Regardless of race or sex, the purchaser obtains the same type of product, the only difference is that the price differs based on who is buying.  This is much like what happens under Affirmative Action.  When affirmative action was in place there was an unspoken cap on the number of Asian students.  In order to enroll more underrepresented minorities, the number of Asian students never fluctuated beyond a certain percentage, roughly 30%.  Asians were forced to attain higher GPAs, more extracurricular activities, and demonstrate more novel personal stories, to gain entry or consideration for admittance.  In effect Asians had to “pay” more for the same product, admittance.  This policy was in effect not only at the university level, but at many public high schools as well.  Lowell High School for a long time required exceptionally higher credentials for Asian students, and in effect practiced a cap on the number of Asian admittances.  This same policy is still at play in many Ivy-league  schools, which have an effective cap on Asian students that almost never fluctuates from 15%.  These schools can operate in such a fashion because they are not subject to the same federal laws public schools are.

It always astounds me when I see Asian students being completely ignorant regarding how they were, and still are, discriminated against based on Affirmative Action policies.  These same policies have been shown to limit their numbers and raise the amount of work they must do just to obtain the same goals.  A large number include the nation’s poorest and least educated, yet they are the most discriminated group in terms of academics, and most are blissfully ignorant. 

• GoldenBear90

You are a bigot; it’s as simple as that. Your upbringing prevents you from seeing the blatant racism that your club is embracing and advertising.

I do not give a damn about SB 185 because I know I earned my spot on this campus. However, you have some nerve to throw a bake sale with my ethnicity/race attached to a price and any ethnicity/race at that. That you think that this is joke or satirical, shows how truly ignorant you are.

Lastly, while my comment may sound angry at best, I was honestly offended and hurt by the bake sale and have had trouble thinking of anything else these last four days other than the tension that you have caused in our Berkeley community.

It goes to show that: Our Struggle Continues.

[I was honestly offended and hurt by the bake sale]

And some of us are honestly offended and hurt by you crybabies insinuating that white folks just sit around conspiring to keep minorities down. However, the fact that either of us are offended does NOT give anyone the right to stifle freedom of speech and free expression of ideas.

If you’re so fragile and hypersensitive that you can’t handle an event that was designed to satirize a policy that the event organizers set up, then all the affirmative action, quotas, and set asides in the world won’t help you compete in a world where most people are made of sterner stuff. You really need to grow a pair…

• gibiri

History says otherwise…..admit it, white people have always wanted to dominate….
        On another note, sb 185 shoulb be an incentive for those minorities to do better…… i admit many minorities act like they dont care but one has to give them an incentive then after they have woken up from their ugly stupid lives, they can work hard for themselves……
        A lot of things in life are based on incentives and i think sb 185 could be good….. just as long as it does its job (to wake the minorities up) then it can be revoked….

• http://www.facebook.com/Amak1131 Samuel Anderson

How is this incentive? If I was Hispanic and knew I would be chosen over a white guy, my incentive would be to do LESS work. How is it education keeps minorities down? Its learning: either you try or you don’t. I’ve seen many not try and get catered to, knowing that they’re not white and that the system will bend over for them.

The issues are its vague, and it will never be revoked. You do not solve racism with more racism.

• Morganalecia34

sorry, but how many people do you know who do not want to dominate? as a society, we are taught to push ourselves and be our best, which yes pushes us to desire to dominate. are you goof to say that if an African American was given the chance to “dominate”, they wouldn’t accept it? newsflash: they would. SB 185 would NOT wake minorities up, it would allow them to do less since their chances increase because of race. in order to stop discrimination, you can’t discriminate against ANYONE! if you do, it defeats the purpose.

• alumnae

Um.. domination, imperialism and racial bigotry can be found in every part of the world at some point in world history.  It’s just that Europe and the global north were the most recent hegemons on an international scale until the beginning of anti-imperialism struggles in the middle of the 20th century.  So, communities are still recovering from the privileged legacy that produced. 

Liberal Fascism 101: Hate, attack, blame, lie, deny.

Liberalism was built on a foundation of group think and revenge fantasies.  Thank you for proving what we already know about you.

• Guest

“white people have always wanted to dominate….”
          No, people in power always want to dominate.  Who runs the brutal regimes in Asia, Africa, and Latin America?

• matthew

“admit it, white people have always wanted to dominate” Okay, who’s the racist here?

• oski

“I do not give a damn about SB 185 because I know I earned my spot on this campus.” Well you SHOULD “give a damn.” Under a non-AA policy (the status-quo), it’s obvious that you earned your spot through merit, etc. However, if an AA-policy is inserted, people begin to question whether minorities are allowed in based on their merit or rather on some other defining characteristic– race or gender. AA is inherently racist– it insinuates that minorities need “a boost.”

The bake sale is embracing racism? The LAW is embracing it! What they’re trying to do is show is the double standard: racism is ok here, but not here.

“Our Struggle for what, racial inequality? Again, why is the racism in the bake sale (it was obviously drawing attention to the issue) wrong, yet racism in SB 185 acceptable?

Yea, I’m a white male but I don’t give a damn. If I apply for a UC and an Asian, Hispanic or anyway else is more QUALIFIED and I get rejected, they earned their spot and I won’t go bawwing to Big Brother. If they go in due to race then that is flat out wrong.

• ggm1101

It is not racism if you actually learned something when something is discriminatory to white people the term reverse-racism is utilized and in this instance that term does not correspond to the bill because of the un-equal educational opportunities that people who come from low-income communities experience.

Oprah had “unequal opportunities” (it’s one word by-the-way) but she managed to do better than 99.9% of all whites in America.

You support SB185 because you’re racist.

Just like the Nazis who said, “There are too many Jewish Doctors!”

What did they do?  They imposed limits on the successful and hardworking.

You’re a good Little Eichmann.

• Guest

” she managed to do better”
            Economically. 

[It is not racism if you actually learned something when something is discriminatory to white people the term reverse-racism is utilized and in this instance that term does not correspond to the bill because of the un-equal educational opportunities that people who come from low-income communities experience.]

Was that supposed to be a coherent sentence?

The fact that you got into Cal with that demonstrably piss-poor level of writing ability only confirms what the BCR have already pointed out: qualified people are being denied their opportunity to attend Cal by an affirmative action program than grants admissions to people that clearly can’t make the cut otherwise.

• Mike2scott

The bake sale is about SB 185 encouraging racism. Just because your a minory does not entile you to an easier time gain access to school

• Guest

Three people Liked this?!  I could barely read it.

• Zoom

I’m honestly offended by legislation that discriminates against me because of my skin color, and by state-funded university employees that teach divisive tribalist propaganda in state schools.

Now that we’re done being offended, let’s move on to logical discourse and colorful satire instead.

• Karate8kid

The fact that you choose not to understand what the purpose of the bake sale doesn’t take away from the fact that the purpose of the bake sale was successful. You are aware of the issue and all you took from it is that you “do not give a damn about SB 185″. You are aware of the law and now have an opinion about it. No one is making you eat cupcakes.

• Anonymous

GoldenBear90, you’re the true bigot.  Bigotry is defined as “stubborn and complete intolerance of any creed, belief, or opinion that differs from one’s own.”  You believe you are a victim and anyone who disagrees with you is a racist.  You don’t want to even think about the unfairness of racial preferences.  You try to deny the similarity between SB 185 and all-white country club admission rules.  Have you ever considered that Mexicans were enslaved by Spaniards, not Anglos, so why do Anglos owe you preferential admission standards?

• DCT

You were offended?  Good!  If that bill pass, everyone will think that the only reason a minority can get into a good school is because he is a minority!  You worked hard to get here but your Berkeley degree will worth less if everyone believes you received it not because of your hard work but because  of your race.  You were offended with the bake sale, just wait when this law passes.  Afterwards, you can tell people… “I got into UC Berkeley”.  They will tell you, “Wow that is really good!”… but in their mind they are thinking, “He probably just got in because he is (insert race here).