Students who killed, ate rabbits may face punishment

The students from Kingman Hall — one of the houses in the Berkeley Student Cooperative — who killed and ate rabbits last week on the premises may face punishment from the BSC as a result of their actions.

Elaina Marshalek, president of the BSC Board of Directors, said she had heard that the rabbits were killed outside the house, but that the BSC is still investigating whether any infractions occurred. Additionally, one of the main concerns is that meat that was not approved by the U.S. Department of Agriculture was used in Kingman Hall’s kitchen.

“We have restaurant-grade kitchens comparable to the one in Chez Panisse, so we insist that only USDA-approved meat is used,” Marshalek said. “Now, we need to make sure the kitchen (in Kingman Hall) is up to code.”

Gabe Schwartzman, a resident of Kingman who submitted an op-ed to The Daily Californian in defense of killing and cooking the rabbits, confirmed that the rabbits he and housemates cooked were not USDA-approved.

Since no similar situation has ever come up at any of the BSC residences, Marshalek said they must investigate to see how best to apply their policies before determining punishments, if any. However, it is possible that Schwartzman may face removal from his position as a kitchen manager because of his actions.

“We have clear protocol for Kitchen Managers who are required to keep kitchens up to code with health regulations,” Marshalek said in an email. “If there is a failure to follow this policy, then we will take action in line with our BSC policy.”

An earlier version of this blog post incorrectly stated that students who killed and ate the rabbits would not face punishment. In fact, the Berkeley Student Cooperative is still investigating whether any rule infractions occurred.

An earlier version of this headline incorrectly stated that students who killed and ate the rabbits would not face punishment. In fact, the Berkeley Student Cooperative is still investigating whether any rule infractions occurred.