UC Berkeley sees rise in hate crimes in 2010

FINAL_09.29.11.Crime.JillWong
Jill Wong/Staff

Amid racially charged protests Tuesday, UCPD sent out its annual campus safety report — which shows more than three times as many hate crimes occurring in the campus community in 2010 than in the previous year.

According to the report, UCPD received intelligence of 22 hate crimes in 2010 versus six incidents in 2009. In all, the 2010 statistics show two gender-based hate crimes, eight ethnic- or race-based hate crimes, two hate crimes related to sexual orientation and 10 crimes based on religion.

These statistics cover hate crimes occurring inside the campus, campus-owned buildings, public property in or adjacent to and accessible from the campus, fraternities, sororities, cooperatives, residence halls or university-owned housing — University Village Albany and the UC Office of the President and UC Berkeley extension campuses.

UCPD Lt. Marc DeCoulode attributed the increase more to a difference in reporting practices than occurrence. He said the shift might be the effect of increased university outreach that emphasizes the importance of reporting hate crimes, an effort made between 2009 to 2010 to make police officers more aware of the definition of hate crimes and a 2008 policy change that made it so hateful vandalism is included in the hate crime category of the statistics.

But statistics from other universities indicate that rates of hate crime on the UC Berkeley campus are substantially higher than at other campuses. Stanford University and UCLA reported two hate crimes each in 2010, and at UC San Diego the total hate crimes amounted to five. UC Berkeley hate crimes in 2010 totaled 22, more than 10 times the number at Stanford and UCLA. UC Berkeley was also the only one of the four schools to report hate crimes based on gender. Its 10 religious hate crimes compare to a complete lack of them at Stanford and UC San Diego, while UCLA saw one religious hate crime.

DeCoulode said 11 of the 2010 UC Berkeley hate crimes were vandalism and three were instances of battery: one that was anti-African American, one that was anti-Hispanic and one that was anti-homosexual.

According to Matthew White, a 2011 UC Berkeley alumnus and formerly an active member of the campus Jewish community, religion-based hatred is not uncommon on campus either.

“When I was in school here, it was just one long blur of instances of hateful things toward Jews and toward supporters of Israel,” he said.

White said that during his time at UC Berkeley, he was aware of Jewish students being called “kike” and receiving strange looks for wearing traditional Jewish skullcaps. He blamed the negative atmosphere in part on an ASUC bill from spring 2010 that urged the campus to divest from two companies that allegedly supplied the Israeli military with materials used in war crimes.

Zienab Abdelgany, president of the campus Muslim Student Association, said Muslim students also face hate-related difficulties on campus.

“Even though Berkeley is a liberal bastion, it is not exempt from larger movements of discrimination and misunderstandings,” she said.

She added that the association has received offensive comments such as “why don’t you just go blow something up” when expressing its political views on Sproul Plaza.

Abdelgany said Muslim women are constantly answering questions about the hijab, the traditional headpiece, and she added that “there are insinuations that I have been forced into submission to wear the hijab, which I wear proudly.”

According to Jack Glaser, an associate professor of public policy at UC Berkeley who specializes in the subject, hate crimes are not foreign to college campuses.

“This is a significant increase by any standard, but it is hard to read anything into a few events, and it’s better not to jump the gun and form general conclusions,” he said. “It is premature to draw the conclusion that the campus is moving towards a climate of hate.”

• Lemuel Smith

In my experience, Muslims don’t see their overall mistreatment of Jews as a”hate crime.” Rather, Muslims see themselves as superior to Jews, and feel that they are naturally entitled to mistreat Jews as  “dhimmi” (subservient ,’protected’ Monotheists under Muslim rule).  Similarly, Muslims feel entitled to stop speakers whose message they don’t like in public venues, while demanding that Muslim speakers be permitted to speak at private venues without sensing the obvious conflict in ethics.  While it is currently fashionable to state that one is “only criticizing the polices o f the State of Israel”, if one listens closely to the Muslims students, they are really saying ,”Jews do not have the natural right to national self-determination in their ancestral land.”  It also seems that every Muslim political statement carries a threat of violence.  It is this arrogance and un-earned sense of entitlement that has lead to  much of the Muslim terrorism in the world today.   “Islamaphobia”  doesn’ t really mean prejudice and bigotry against Muslims, it means “fear of Muslim violence.”

• KTrojan

Hate crimes against republicans?

• Johnny2bad4u52

Give me a break. After the outrageous conviction of the Irvine 11 students protesting an Israeli war criminal speaking on a state funded university it is more than obvious that Arab students are the victims of hate speech and attitudes fostered by the ADL, AIPAC and other Jewish groups supportive of Israel and its illegal occupation and ethnic cleansing of historical Palestine..

• http://pulse.yahoo.com/_WRACM77JT2RXUR3LMGDPPUGUYY Tony M

[Give me a break. After the outrageous conviction of the Irvine 11
      students protesting an Israeli war criminal speaking on a state funded
      university]

You mean pro-terrorist Muslims shouting down an invited speaker, right?

Just because you disagree with someone doesn’t make them a “war criminal”.

• Guest

How in the world would you accuse those Muslims as pro-terrorist?

Defending Palestinian homicide bombers = pro-terrorist as far as I’m concerned…

• Guest

Show me a link in which the protesters state they support Palestinian bombers

• Another

Tony you are the world’s biggest idiot!!!  You are so quick to point fingers, yet you think you’re immune from being called out on your racist bullshit? These students were not pro-terrorism, they wanted an end to occupation, to violence. HOW IN THE WORLD IS THAT PRO-TERRORISM? You’re the dumbest TROLL.

• Against Dumb Trolls

Take your own advice “Just because you disagree with someone doesn’t make them a “war criminal”, in this case “pro-terrorism person”. HYPOCRITEEEEEEEE!!!!!

• Johnny2bad4u52

No their actions make them a war criminal and Oren certainly is a WAR CRIMINAL.

• Guest

Interesting that there were more crimes against religion than against race/ethnicity.

And crimes against religion went up by a factor of ten while crimes against race/ethnicity by only a factor of two.

• Some person

Seeing how UCPD characterized as a hate crime a sticker that said “stop terrorist attacks on Israel,” I have a hard time taking their reporting seriously.

• Meh

“receiving strange looks for wearing traditional Jewish skullcaps”
    Jews are about 2% of the US population, and religiously observant Jews are but a fraction of that 2%. If you got a strange look for your kippah, it’s b/c that item of apparel is not commonly seen being worn in this country. (Note also that’s not the only way to cover one’s head, so the number of people wearing one which is seen outwardly is smaller still.)
    You are more likely to get crappy looks on campus for wearing an IDF t-shirt.

heard on Sproul: “why don’t you just go blow something up”
    Obnoxious? Yes. Protected Speech? Yes.
    You don’t have the right to demand that no one say anything offensive to you in public.

Props to DeCoulode, for his quite reasonable statements today.

• Guest

“make police officers more aware of the definition of hate crimes”
    Please state what this definition says.  My understanding is that these must be actual crimes (not misdemeanors or infractions) exacerbated by hatred.

• Guest

Lol, in Berkeley “hate speech” counts as a “hate crime”, as long as it is directed against a protected group

• Soapy Johnson

Who’s more racist, white people or black people? It’s
    white people! You know why? … http://placeitonluckydan.com/2011/04/crackas-a-search-replace/

• Heather W.

Soapy — that piece was is a Chris Rock skit called Blacks v. N____’s and “place it on Lucky Dan” replaced white for black and other words to change it. 

• Anonymous

Discrimination against instate Californians at admission by UC Berkeley may fuel hate crimes.

Chancellor Robert J Birgeneau ($500,000 salary) of University of California Berkeley displaces qualified
    for public university education at Cal. Californians for $50,600  payment by FOREIGN students.

The University
    of California Berkeley,
    ranked # 70 Forbes, is not increasing enrollment.  $50,600 tuition FOREIGN students are accepted
    by Birgeneau at the expense of qualified instate students.

UC Regent Chairwoman Lansing and President Yudof agree discriminating
    against instate Californians for admission to UC Berkeley. Birgeneau, Yudof, Lansing need to answer to
    Californians.

Your opinion makes a difference; email UC Board of
    Regents   [email protected]

• Guest

“Discrimination against instate Californians at admission by UC Berkeley may fuel hate crimes”
      Somebody ought to round this guy up for inciting violence against non-residents.

• Anonymous

Somebody ought to round up UC Berkeley Chancellor Birgeneau for discriminating against qualified instate Californians who were displaced by Birgeneau from Cal. for a payment of $50,600 and a foreign passport.

Non residents are just paying their way to an opportunity created by Chancellor Birgeneau that slams the door on qualified  instate Californians.

Nice try “spin doctor”

• Permanent Resident

So that means that any excellent, high-achieving non-resident student does not deserve at the University of California ever? Of course we didn’t get in because of our scores, essays, or anything we’ve done in life, it’s just our money. 
          Should we be kicked out and let this campus be 100% pure Californian?

• Anonymous

Do what you want! but Chancellor Birgeneau is  NOT  to displace  qualified instate Californian from Ca at the expense of non residence

Chancellor Birgeneau’s policy to displace Californians for a payment of $50,600 is the problem not you!

An by the way if the amortization of buildings etc was included in the tuition charged non residents the tuition would be twice what it is. Consider yourself as receiving a gift from California tax payers.

Californians are subsidizing non resident students as non residents are not paying the full cost of tuition for non residents at the University of California Berkeley.

Welcome to California and the USA non resident.

• Guest

The Berkeley campus exceeded its 2010-11 budgeted enrollment of Californians by 2,660 students.  These are students that the campus admitted without State subsidy.  Your assertions about Birgeneau are nonsensical.  The Regents, the President, and the Chancellor are doing everything they can to minimize damage from the Legislature’s reckless cuts.  If you want to attack someone, go to Sacramento.

• Anonymous

University of California
            Berkeley (Cal) picks the pockets of Californian students and their
            parents clean. (The author has 35 years’ consulting experience, has taught at Cal where he observed
            the culture, way senior management work and was not fired)

University of California Berkeley Chancellor Birgeneau ($500,000 salary)
            has forgotten that he is a public servant, steward of the public money, not
            overseer of his own fiefdom.  Stunning
            misguided waste: Tuition fee increases exceed national average rate of increase;
            Recruits (using California tax $) out of state $50,600 students who displace
            qualified Californians from Cal; Spends $7,000,000 + for consultants to do his
            senior management work (prominent East
            Coast university accomplishing same 0 cost); Pays ex Michigan governor
            $300,000 for lectures; Procuring $3,000,000
            consulting firm failed to receive proposals from others; Latino
            enrollment drops while out of state jumps 2010-11 (M Krupnick Contra Costa
            Times); Ranked # 70 USA best universities Forbes; Tuition to Return on
            Investment drops below top 10; QS academic ranking falls below top 10; Only 50
            attend Birgeneau all employees meeting; Campus visits down 20%; Absence Cal. senior
            management control NCAA places basketball on probation.

It’s all shameful. There is no justification for violations by
            a steward of the public trust. Absolutely none!  

Governor Brown, UC Board of Regents Chair Lansing must vigorously
            enforce stringent oversight over Chancellor Birgeneau who uses Cal. as his fiefdom.

Email opinion to   [email protected]

• Guest

“and was not fired”
            You should have been.  If this is the quality of your consulting work, you’re a fraud.

• Guest

Don’t take him seriously; he’s always spouting his grudge against the Chancellor.  Birgeneau had nothing to do with the reduction in Californian enrollments.  The Legislature cut the subsidy for California students, and the Regents responded by offering the unfunded slots to non-resident students.  This dingbat thinks it’s some kind of malign conspiracy hatched by Birgeneau.

Notice no references of attack on whites by African-Americans. Apparently those do not count as “hate crimes”…

• Meh

Tony doesn’t understand what a hate crime is.
      (feigned ignorance = trolling).
      The races of the perp and victim are not the determinant.
      The motivation of the perp is the determining factor.
      If a white guy gets robbed by a black guy, violence was employed, it’s robbery, assault & battery.
      If a white guy gets attacked wholly or in part BECAUSE he is white, then it’s a hate crime.
      Go stir up trouble somewhere else, Tony, with your fake misunderstanding and it’s necessarily incorrect implications of hypocrisy.

• JohnS

Back when I was a student around 2001, there was a white student who was attacked by black men on campus and who were called “whitey” and “cracker,” and “the man.”  It was not reported as a hate crime.

Ask the Asians around campus and you’ll easily come across racist attacks on Asian students, perpetuated by other minorities.  Asians however are an ignored minority, and these too are never reported as “hate crimes.”

• Guest

I am Asian and may I say what you said has absolutely no basis. You calling Asians as “ignorant minority” is absolutely considered racist. I think we have more than enough of that, thank you.

• Mike

lolll

He didn’t refer to them as an “ignorant minority”. He referred to them as an IGNORED minority. You really need to work on your reading comprehension skills a bit.

• Guest

Hmm good point

I know “damn well” what a hate crime, and know how both the city and campus have a way of skewing the definition of such based on who was the perpetrator, and who was the victim. There was one particular black militant who used to provoke others into arguments, and as soon as he started to lose the debate, he would start screaming at the top of his voice: “Don’t call me n-gger, white boy!” even though his opponents would never say a thing. Hate crime statistics are deliberately skewed at Berkeley (and other campuses as well) for the purpose of pushing a left-wing agenda. Sorry you’re too clueless and/or dishonest to deal with the truth…

• Guest

Again, sources?

Personal experience. Happened to me and another individual.

• http://www.facebook.com/people/Jack-McCoy/100000544887579 Jack McCoy

You can always spot racist pigs by their interpretations. Take THIS racist pig, for instance…the absence of Black on White hate crimes MUST be because of some conspiracy to dismiss such, not because there were no incidents.

Chalk this us to more rantings by the Campus Republican racists.

[You can always spot racist pigs by their interpretations. Take THIS
        racist pig, for instance…the absence of Black on White hate crimes
        MUST be because of some conspiracy to dismiss such, not because there
        were no incidents.]

No, I speak from knowing damn well how things work in Berkeley. Back in the early 1990’s there was a problem with gangs of black kids from Oakland and Richmond coming into town on the weekends and attacking white and Asian students as opportune targets. Despite the fact that these kids were heard yelling racial epithets at their victims, the usual apologists for Political Correctness REFUSED to acknowledge that these deliberate attacks were racially oriented, yet when there were confrontations between individual whites and blacks, some whites were accused of “hate crimes” even though race wasn’t even issue. Based on the fact that simpering idiots like Jack still influence the mindset at Berkeley, I have no reason to believe that such behavior today is treated any different from back then…

• Guest

Sources please?

Go look up old Daily Cal articles from August and September 1993. You might just learn something…

• Guest

How in the world can one possibly find that?