Bears look to repeat at Edean Ihlandfeldt invitational

In sports, winning the same tournament two years in a row is considered extremely difficult.

The No. 15 Cal women’s golf team will be looking to go one better with a three-peat when it tees off at the Edean Ihlandfeldt Invitational in Sammamish, Wash., beginning on Monday.

The Bears’ main competition at the Sahalee Country Club will come from Idaho, San Jose State and host Washington. Tee times will be at 9 a.m. on Monday, 10 a.m. on Tuesday and 8 a.m. on Wednesday.

The field of teams at the invitational is not as strong as those at last weekend’s Mason Rudolph Fall Preview, where Cal finished 10th.

Washington won its first tournament since 2005 last month at the WSU Cougar Cup, and will be looking to continue its play on its home turf.

Likewise, after its third place finish at the same tournament, Idaho looks to continue its performance of late.

Although the Bears will face tough competition, three of last year’s top five finishers — Stanford, Pepperdine and San Francisco — will not be participating this year.

Even though these top-five finishers will not be returning, both of Cal’s top individual performers are still competing. The lineup, which is unchanged from the previous two tournaments, includes Emily Childs, who had a  standout performance at the Edean Ihlandfeldt invite last season.

In last year’s tournament, Childs was in sole possession of first going into the last round and finished with a two-under 70. She went on to claim the individualist medal with a ten-under par.

Along with Childs, seniors Joanne Lee and Daniela Holmqvist look to provide the guidance and support the team has needed all year in terms of mental strength and consistency on the course. Lee also finished in the top 10 of last year’s tournament with a fourth-place tie and a seven-over par.

With thinner competition, the Bears would like use this year’s tournament to get on track for the rest of the year.

Last year, Cal entered ranked No. 17, won the tournament and moved up 10 places.

After two inconsistent tournaments for the Bears, the Edean Ihlandfeldt tournament could be a great opportunity for the squad to bounce back and make great progress in a tournament in which it is accustomed to success.