Community members plan Occupy Berkeley protest at Bank of America

UC Berkeley students and community members are planning a protest related to the Occupy Wall Street movement to take place Oct. 15 outside the Bank of America on Shattuck Avenue and Center Street.

Occupy Berkeley, is “connected in solidarity with Occupy Wall Street,” and organized by a largely anonymous group — which includes at least two UC Berkeley students, according to John Holzinger, a junior-transfer involved in organizing the event.

Both Occupy Wall Street and Occupy Berkeley aim to support “people who feel wronged by the corporate forces of the world,” and believe “that no true democracy is attainable when the process is determined by economic power,” according to the Wall Street protest’s demands, which Occupy Berkeley has posted on its Facebook page.

“We have the same demands, we’re all fighting for the same thing,” Holzinger said.

A general meeting will be held Oct. 8 before the occupation to “organize logistics” for those who join, with a focus on planning how to allow protesters to remain at the occupation for as long as possible, according to Holzinger.

Occupy Berkeley intends to use similar tactics as Occupy Wall Street in hopes of achieving their goals. Holzinger said that after beginning their protest on Oct. 15, “We’re going to stay, sleep there, we’re going to occupy the area.”

He provided no potential end date for the protest.

While Occupy Berkeley is planned outside Bank of America, the decision for the location of the occupation was not based on the bank’s announcement Thursday to begin charging customers a $5 fee for debit card usage in 2012. But the protest will include a “call for all people who have money at Bank of America to withdraw their money,” Holzinger added.

Also in line with Occupy Wall Street, the Berkeley protest is expected to be non-violent and is planned to be kept peaceful.

“We don’t want any violence whatsoever,” Holzinger said.

• duly lu

Win the victory of occupy wall street protest.
    Berkeley movement of people to particioate in the occupation of wll street, we must’fight for survival” and we must
    1.United slogan: we need survival, or every one need survival, or most important human
                                      rughts is survival and etc.
    2,United strategy: to convince police.
                                           you are belong our 99%.
                                           can you keep your job forever?
                                           you are never been fired whole your life?
                                           and etc.

• 123456789noam

fuck occupy berkeley its a small group of homeless and people with nothing else to do writing in chalk on the sidewalk.  you give berkeley a bad name

• Guest4
  • Let’s do it

Great to see this. This is a long time coming. All Americans, regardless of their political orientation, have been screwed over by a system which silences their political voices in favor of whatever corporations and the rich want. Let’s return the government to the people. After that, we’ll settle our other issues democratically, as was intended.

• Anonymous

I can’t wait to lend my voice to the those demanding fairness: that the richest 1% pay their fair share. Warren Buffet says Congress should stop coddling millionaires: it’s not helping the economy and it’s hurting the most vulnerable. No one dreamed we could stop corporate greed – until Occupy Wall Street gave us hope. My teenagers want to join in on the 15th, too. And our money is out of B of A tomorrow.

• http://pulse.yahoo.com/_WRACM77JT2RXUR3LMGDPPUGUYY Tony M

[I can't wait to lend my voice to the those demanding fairness: that the richest 1% pay their fair share.]

The top 1% of all income earners already pay 33% of all individual federal income taxes in this country.

• Yep

I recognize a movement when I see it. This is a movement, whether you like it or not. As for me, it’s about time! I am one of the 99% and proud of it.

Corporations are not people and they need to be treated as institutions that are bound with public trust. Once a corporation betrays the public trust (say, uh, by helping to destroy the economy and getting rich at the same time), it no longer has the consent of the people. Once it loses the consent of the people then it should no longer be allowed to operate as an institution.

Pretty simple really. That’s my 2 cents. Multiply that by 99% of 260 million people. 

• Guest

First off idiot theres 310 million people in America
      Second, i hate to break it to you but people are still using the corporations that fucked the economy so get off my street you guys smell bad

• Cali4ever

This is great…I can’t wait to see all of the drug riddled bums off of Shattuck Ave. that MoveOn.org pays to attend the event and then end up in front of the Fox News Camera’s…from BERKELEY, Ca.   

This movement is as manufactured as Britney Spears and everyone knows it.   75% of Americans agree or strongly agree that Obama has failed to manage the economy….he’s a one termer….so get ready for Romney / Rubio …more important…get ready to go back to work once they’re elected.

• Jimmij2718

Sounds like you are afraid of change that will make you produce and get a real job!

• Anonymous

I work right near there. This going to be like those pointless and annoying marine recruiting protests, so it will be noisy and suck, and I’ll end up having little sympathy for a cause for which I am sympathetic.

• http://anonymoustroll.myopenid.com/ anonymous

I am in full solidarity with the Occupy Judea and Samaria movement.

• Guest

And when you’ve occupied the property, what reforms will take place?

They’ll scare enough middle-class suburban folks to make sure they elect Mitt Romney.

• Guest

Hmmm, I agree with the message but I absolutely loath these protesters as individuals. Is their any way to support fair domestic economic policy without being lumped in with a bunch of narcissistic left-wing radicals?

• Anonymous

For starters, you may try getting over yourself.

• Shelly

Much of the political discussion in Berkeley can be easily explained by the psychological theory of projection. People who say that others should ‘get over themselves’ know their own self-image is overblown. People who talk incessantly about a lack of democracy are uneasy with their own certainty that their believes are inevitably right and their closet authoritarianism. Etc.

This explanation really helps sort out the various factions around here.

• Anonymous

My self image has nothing to do with above poster and their inflated self worth.
          When you graduate you can start analyzing people, they’ll even pay you for it! Until then… whatever.

• Shelly

Thanks! You’ve pretty much proven my point that discussion here is primarily psychodrama. In reply, you’ve provided no facts, no argument, just assertion & baseless innuendo.

I couldn’t have provided a better example.

• Anonymous

Welcome to the Internet dear.
            Also looking down from your ivory tower, be musingly pointing out the subjective idiocy of anonymous comments is real ground breaking, substantive work. Being above the fray and merely a theory spewing critic will get you all kinds of kudos in crit. theory discussion sections but not anywhere else.
            You shrink rayed a 10 word comment and then castigate me for being an off point sophist?
            How about having a position on the article at hand ( occupy berkeley)? If you had an opinion I might treat you with respect, instead you treat us like political drone research for some shitty Rhetoric 152 paper you’re writing. This is the kind of academic posturing that pollutes the discourse and inspires apathy. I couldn’t have provided a better example.

• Jimmij2718

That projection might be a good idea!

• Guest1

to comment on this, there are tea party members who have shown support and there are those on the left wing that are supporting this. The mainstream media has began to portray the protesters as left wing radicals when they want to re-establish a fair economic system as it once was before Wall St, took major control of the economic and political system. It fallacious to categories the movement into left wing radicals, but rather activists who strive for a better and new America. 

• Anonymous

Well, you’ll probably recognize yourself in this article then:
      http://politics.salon.com/2011/09/28/protests_21/

• Yep

How do you know you loathe them when you have never even met them? At least I don’t think I have ever met you.

To answer your question, yes there are many ways to support fair domestic policy without having to be in the streets. Take your money out of the big banks and put them into a credit union you support. Advocate for state banks that invest locally in sustainable projects. Write, talk, research. Build momentum among people you like. And make some friends with people you have never met.  You might be surprised that there are decent people everywhere you go.

• Jimmij2718

Yep! You agree with the message and gain by the left-winged demands then loath the ones who do the work for you. Yep! Sounds like right-wing narcissism to me that got us here in the first place!!

• http://twitter.com/DREGstudios Brandt Hardin

The
    movement is gaining momentum in its THIRD week now and Occupations are popping
    up all over the country!  Stand up
    together and use your voice to give to those without through peace and
    solidarity.  Tax the rich and feed the
    poor- you are the 99%!  See my Occupy
    Wall Street painting and Anonymous homage on my artist’s blog at http://dregstudiosart.blogspot.com/2011/09/occupywallstreet.html
    where you can also see videos of the protests and police brutality as well as
    get other sources for coverage of the movement.  

Platitudes and chanting slogans are no substitute for substance. I’ll pass…