UC Berkeley experiencing outbreak of mumps

There is an outbreak of mumps in the UC Berkeley campus community, campus officials announced late Tuesday night.

Cases of the contagious viral infection, which is transmitted by the mucus or saliva of an infected person, were first reported on campus Friday. The confirmed cases were quarantined, but Associate Vice Chancellor for Business and Administrative Services Ron Coley sent a campuswide email Tuesday announcing the outbreak.

The email did not specify the extent of the outbreak.

University Health Services is working closely with the California Department of Public Health to limit spread of the disease, according to the email, the text of which was also posted on the campus health services web page.

Symptoms of mumps typically develop 16 to 18 days after exposure and can include fever, headache and swollen salivary glands, according to campus health services.

Beginning in 1977, children were given a vaccine against mumps, which significantly reduced the rate of the disease, according to an article published in the New England Journal of Medicine. However, after a spate of cases in the 1980s, schoolchildren were recommended to receive a second vaccination, which further reduced incidents of the disease.

Although people who have received two doses of the vaccine are at less risk of contracting mumps, campus health services recommends that students receive a third of the vaccine. UC Berkeley students can receive the vaccine, free of charge, from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. at the campus Tang Center.

Jordan Bach-Lombardo is the university news editor.

• Thancock67

Beginning to think that my 9 year old nephew has a case of the mumps–we’re in Mississippi.  103 fever for over a week but blookwork is coming back normal.  Didnt realize we actually had active cases anymore.

• Shiloh777777

Unfounded propaganda.  No proof whatsoever the vaccine  is necessary for such a mild disease, nor indeed that it prevents the disease.  Everyone knows that mumps has for decades been a mild immune building disease of childhood which you want your child to get.  The only reason it’s appearing in 20 year olds is that the mandated vaccine has mutated this harmless disease. The author didn’t even know how to spell the word incidence, which means he doesn’t know the context of what he thinks he’s talking about.

If you’re going to have a forum, do the homework, not just pastings from wikimafia.

Dr T

• Davidisinasia

But that’s not really the story is it?  Isn’t the real story that students were being forced to get the MMR vaccine or else face the prospect of being quarantined for 2 weeks without being able to attend class?  Isn’t that what really happened?

• Trolly McTrollerson

whores in cloyne are making out with each other way too much. such disregard for their fellow Golden Bears

• http://www.facebook.com/people/Jeremy-Rittwage/779266457 Jeremy Rittwage

I think you all should get a shot of the vaccine every day until the mumps outbreak ends! Three shots! Are you all crazy. If one shot doesn’t work don’t you think that three will do no better!

• Guest

“transmitted by the mucus or saliva of an infected person”
    Surely there are no oral contacts on campus!!

• Guest

It must have been those damn cupcakes.

• Guest

Why do so many people jump to the negative argument.  The “system” is not always out to get you! .. in this case I think it is working for us, just listen

• Guest

The resurgence of once-eradicated communicable diseases.  Another side benefit of open borders and sanctuary-city policies.

• Anonymous

Or it could be the people efficacy of the vaccinations have worn off.
      http://pediatrics.about.com/b/2011/10/04/mumps-outbreak-in-california.htm

“Although a mumps vaccine is routinely given as part of the MMR
      vaccine, unfortunately, it is not 100% effective. Unlike some other
      vaccines, the mumps vaccine is only about 75 to 91% effective at
      preventing mumps. This is much less than the 99% effectiveness of two
      doses of MMR at preventing measles.

In fact, many of the patients affected by the 2006 and 2009 mumps outbreaks were in fact vaccinated against mumps.”

This is probably why Cal is recommending another dose.

• http://twitter.com/katengh Kat Engh

That’s an absurd judgement to make, unless you can prove that the source of the outbreak came from someone who is actually an immigrant. It’s most likely the result of either the vaccinations “wearing off,” as CalMomof2 said, or the result of people who have not had the vaccinations in the first place, given the growing distrust of them. Where I grew up, MMR vaccines were required before you could begin high school, but this requirement varies from state to state.

• Guest

It is not an absurd judgment at all. If there was not an infected person spreading the disease,  then regardless of whether the vaccine has worn off, a person can  not get the disease.  This is exactly why  nearly eradicated diseases such as whooping cough and TB are now making a comeback.
        [Note: I am not the  "Guest" who wrote the first comment.]

• AntiTroll

The resurgence of trolls and idiots. Another benefit of allowing anonymous posts.