UC Berkeley mumps outbreak spreads to 27

A mumps outbreak among the UC Berkeley community has increased to 27 suspected and confirmed cases, state officials said Friday.

According to Ralph Montano, spokesperson for the California Department of Public Health, seven cases of the mumps have been confirmed at UC Berkeley.

There are now 20 suspected cases of the disease, up from a dozen suspected cases earlier this week, he said.

Those with confirmed cases of mumps are being isolated during the disease’s most contagious state — at least five days after glands begin to swell — according to the University Health Services website.

“The California Department of Public Health is working with the Berkeley Public Health (Division) and the university to identify and diagnose the cases and determine the scope of the outbreak,” Montano said in an email.

Just one week ago, the number of suspected and confirmed cases stood at three.

There have only been six confirmed cases of mumps in the city of Berkeley since 1990, prior to this outbreak.

Campus health services is offering a vaccination clinic on Oct. 14 from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. where MMR (measles, mumps and rubella) and flu shots will be offered. The MMR vaccination is only available for UC Berkeley faculty, staff and students, according to the Tang Center website.

The first clinic was Thursday, where those waiting for vaccinations stood in line for an hour and fifteen minutes on average, according to the Tang Center’s Twitter page.

Symptoms of mumps include fever, fatigue and the swelling of saliva glands and typically develop 16 to 18 days after exposure. Campus health services has encouraged students to wash their hands frequently and stay home if they are feeling unwell.

• SpurriousBS

this is all jenny mccarthy’s fault

• Anonymous

Need for transparency at University of California
    Berkeley has never been so clear. Chancellor Robert
    J Birgeneau ($500,000 salary) displaces qualified for public university
    education at Cal.
    instate Californians for a $50,600 payment and a foreign passport.

UC Berkeley, ranked # 70 Forbes, is not increasing
    enrollment.  Birgeneau accepts $50,600
    FOREIGN students at the expense of qualified Californians.

UC Regent Chairwoman Lansing and President Yudof agree to discriminating
    against instate Californians for foreigners. Birgeneau, Yudof, Lansing need to answer to Californians.

Your opinion makes a difference; email UC Board of
    Regents   [email protected]

• Yudof_6BillionDollarMan

while I agree with the need for transparency at UC,
      and the supposition that the powers that be are hopelessly corrupt,
      I must disagree with the contention that “your opinion makes a difference”.
      The people at UCOP couldn’t give a radioactive fart what the plebs think.

• Guest

And our elected representatives in Sacramento care even less than a radioactive fart what UC students, the Regents or the citizens of California think.

The fix for UC and the fix for California lies in Sacramento in the block bound by 10th, 15th, L and N Streets.