UC Berkeley mumps outbreak spreads to 27

A mumps outbreak among the UC Berkeley community has increased to 27 suspected and confirmed cases, state officials said Friday.

According to Ralph Montano, spokesperson for the California Department of Public Health, seven cases of the mumps have been confirmed at UC Berkeley.

There are now 20 suspected cases of the disease, up from a dozen suspected cases earlier this week, he said.

Those with confirmed cases of mumps are being isolated during the disease’s most contagious state — at least five days after glands begin to swell — according to the University Health Services website.

“The California Department of Public Health is working with the Berkeley Public Health (Division) and the university to identify and diagnose the cases and determine the scope of the outbreak,” Montano said in an email.

Just one week ago, the number of suspected and confirmed cases stood at three.

There have only been six confirmed cases of mumps in the city of Berkeley since 1990, prior to this outbreak.

Campus health services is offering a vaccination clinic on Oct. 14 from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. where MMR (measles, mumps and rubella) and flu shots will be offered. The MMR vaccination is only available for UC Berkeley faculty, staff and students, according to the Tang Center website.

The first clinic was Thursday, where those waiting for vaccinations stood in line for an hour and fifteen minutes on average, according to the Tang Center’s Twitter page.

Symptoms of mumps include fever, fatigue and the swelling of saliva glands and typically develop 16 to 18 days after exposure. Campus health services has encouraged students to wash their hands frequently and stay home if they are feeling unwell.