Brown vetoes affirmative actionlike SB 185

Participants at the Increase Diversity Bake Sale held signs urging Governor Jerry Brown to veto SB 185.
Edwin Cho/File

Gov. Jerry Brown vetoed a controversial, affirmative actionlike bill Saturday that would have allowed public colleges and universities in California to consider demographic factors in admissions processes.

SB 185, authored by state Senator Ed Hernandez, D-West Covina, would have made it legal for UC and CSU schools to consider factors such as race, gender, ethnicity and national origin in student admissions.

The bill had faced scrutiny by those who questioned its legality. Opponents of the bill said that it contradicted Proposition 209. Approved by voters in 1996, the proposition made it illegal for students to receive preferential treatment on the basis of race, gender or ethnicity.

At UC Berkeley, the bill elicited much controversy. An “Increase Diversity Bake Sale” by the Berkeley College Republicans on Sproul Plaza last month — which was organized to protest the affirmative actionlike components of the bill — prompted responding protests. The on-campus action brought the issue to national prominence.

Shawn Lewis, president of the Berkeley College Republicans, issued a statement Saturday supporting Brown’s decision to veto the bill, stating that college admissions decisions should be based on “the qualifications of the applicant and the individual challenges he or she has faced” rather than race.

But CalSERVE Senator Sydney Fang — who co-authored an ASUC senate bill in support of SB 185 — said that the passage of the bill would have helped the campus multicultural community in its recruitment efforts.

“Not only was this a personal effort, but it was a huge community effort to have Brown sign the bill,” she said. “We’re very disappointed, but there are definitely other ways to continue this fight for promoting access to higher education for those communities, and we’ll still be organizing on it.”

Though Brown said that he agrees with the purpose of the bill, he believes the courts should determine the limits of the proposition, according to a veto message he sent Saturday to the members of the California State Senate.

“Signing this bill is unlikely to impact how Proposition 209 is ultimately interpreted by the courts; it will just encourage the 209 advocates to file more costly and confusing lawsuits,” he wrote in the message.

A court case is currently pending in the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals against the state and the UC system on the same issues that the bill addresses, the message states.

“I’m not surprised that Gov. Brown agrees with the spirit of the bill, because there are many people who agree with affirmative action in the state of California,” said Grace Meador, communications director for the Berkeley College Republicans. “But he did the right thing, because the bill is unconstitutional, and the people of California have already spoken on the issue of affirmative action.”

A previous version of this article incorrectly stated that Proposition 209 banned consideration of economic status. In fact, economic status is not mentioned in the proposition’s language.

• MassxAcceleration_be_with_you

Funny this bill would probably help more white students get into college, yet most of them oppose it, i guess it’s better to find international students to replace California students. If we look at the UC school system it does not represent California’s demographics

• Trisht1

The best and only fair way to promote access to higher education is to require that students study. I do not believe that Asian students are smarter then everyone else, but they do study more. Perhaps if other communities worked on instilling this good habit in their children they would see an increase in higher education options.

• Brian

Good job governor!

• Sanity

Fantastic. Still think BCR are a bunch of nutters with no case to make, all you hippies out there? Granted, Jerry Brown was just covering his *** and would gladly pass SB 185 if it had a prayer of surviving the courts. Nonetheless, it’s great to see all the whining of these narcissistic lefties on this campus come to absolutely nothing.

• LiekerOfThings

hey I herd you liek cupcakes…

• Guest

HALLELUJAH … now get rid of the Dream Act.

• ladybigmac

thank goodness.

• Guest

The Courts have already interpreted Prop 209: Coalition for Economic Equity v. Wilson. Unanimously upheld by the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals. Yeah it’s not getting any better for you, BAMN.

• Guest

THANK
    YOU GOVERNOR BROWN! I’m glad that California has a governor that,
    despite his personal feelings, is willing to follow the California
    Constitution and basic common legal sense.

• Guest

Thank goodness the governor went against personal instincts and did the logical thing.  I can’t imagine how heavily Berkeley would have tinkered yet again with admissions if this went through.

• http://gasstationwithoutpumps.wordpress.com/ gasstationwithoutpumps

The article is wrong.  Prop 209 prohibits the use of  “race, sex, color, ethnicity, or national origin”, but allows economic status.

• http://anonymoustroll.myopenid.com/ anonymous

lol