UC Berkeley ranked as one of world’s best research institutions

UC Berkeley ranked 10th as one of the best research institutions in the world, according to theTimes Higher Education World University Rankings 2011-2012 annual report published Thursday.

For the second year in a row UC Berkeley has earned a ranking in the top 10. However, this placement represents a decline from last year‘s ranking, which put the campus at eighth place. Other UC campuses’  ratings have decreased slightly as well, including UC San Diego and UC Santa Barbara, which ranked 32nd and 29th last year, respectively, but are now at 33rd and 35th on the list.

“A lot of the California universities have slipped,” said Times Higher Education deputy editor Phil Baty. “Berkeley has gone down in a few places.  We’ve seen some of the other California and state institutions falling and I do think it may be the beginning of the signs of the budget cuts starting to bite.”

Seventy-five institutions in the United States made the top 400 list of the best institutions. This year the number one ranking, which was previously held by Harvard University, has been claimed by the California Institute of Technology. Harvard and Stanford universities tied for second place.

“Rankings are important to help people compare higher education institutions,” said campus spokesperson Janet Gilmore in an email. “We know that any organization’s methodology may change from year to year, but that by any measure it’s clear that UC Berkeley is the nation’s top public university and among the top universities in the world, public or private.”

This is the eighth year that the London-based organization has published world rankings of universities. In 2010, a new methodology was employed that allowed professors from various institutions to select any two campuses other than their own as top ranking universities. Once all the information is collected it is divided into 13 performance indicators and grouped into five categories: teaching, research, citations, industry income and international outlook.

The data indicates that UC Berkeley excels in the arts and humanities, as well as science, and although it is possible that the shifting rankings may reflect the financial pressure the universities are facing. However, UC Berkeley’s score for citation research is one of the highest in the world at 99.4 percent, which is significant because it shows which universities are contributing the most and pushing forward the boundaries of human knowledge, Baty said.

“It’s a cause for fantastic celebration,” he said. “But what I would say is that the message should go out to the state government that you have some of the world’s very, very best universities. They need to be protected. They need to be nurtured. Lots of nations are pumping billions of dollars into their higher education system and to protect these tremendous assets we need to keep the investment levels up.”

• Anonymous

Every qualified California student should get a place in University of California system. That’s a desirable
    goal for a public university. However, UC Berkeley Chancellor Robert Birgeneau
    displaces Californians qualified for education at Cal. with $50,600 tuition Foreigners.

UC tuition increases
    exceed the national average rate of increase. The University
    of California Board Of Regents
    jeopardizes Californians attending higher education by making UC the most
    expensive public university in the United States.

Self-serving
    tuition increases are used by UC President Mark Yudof to increase the pay of
    80,000 eligible faculty and others. Payoffs like these point to higher
    operating costs and still higher tuition for Californians.

I agree that faculty in higher
    education and senior management, like Yudof and Birgeneau, should consider the
    students’ welfare and put it high on their values.

Deeds unfortunately do not bear
    out the students’ welfare values of senior management and the UC Board of
    Regents.

Opinions to UC Board of Regents,
    email    [email protected]

• pnp

And if you filter the criteria to just research, Berkeley is #1 for both years.

• Anonymous

How come it costs 50% more (after adjusting for inflation)
      for University of California Board of Regents Chair Lansing and President Yudof
      to provide the same service?

Total expenditures in the UC system in 1999-2000 were $3.2
      billion to educate a student population of 154,000. Converted into 2011 dollars
      using the Bureau of Labor Statistics CPI calculator gets us to $4.3B in 2011
      dollars, which comes out to $27,850 per student.

In 2011, the total UC system budget was $6.3 billion
      dollars: an increase of almost 50% after adjusting for inflation. Enrollment
      also rose – to 158,000 students, a 3% increase, yielding a cost per student of
      $39,750.

Costs went up 50% in
      10 years.  And yet the news out of UC
      President Yudof is that the UC system is “bracing” for ‘another round
      of budget cuts’!

Email opinions to UC Board of Regents   [email protected]

• Anonymous

After 25+ years of Lib dominated legislature, the negative effects are beginning to show up. Keep voting for Libs Cal kiddies and watch Cal become rinky dink U.

• Anonymous

Need for transparency at University of California
    Berkeley has never been so clear. Chancellor Robert
    J Birgeneau ($500,000 salary) displaces qualified for public university
    education at Cal.
    instate Californians for a $50,600 payment and a foreign passport.

UC Berkeley, ranked # 70 Forbes, is not increasing
    enrollment.  Birgeneau accepts $50,600
    FOREIGN students at the expense of qualified Californians.

UC Regent Chairwoman Lansing and President Yudof agree to discriminate
    against instate Californians for foreigners. Birgeneau, Yudof, Lansing need to answer to Californians.

Opinions make a difference; email UC Board of Regents   [email protected]

• Anonymous

education at Cal.

enrollment.  Birgeneau accepts $50,600

• Anonymous

Take your career to new heights. Find an accredited degree program suitable for you and study online. Find the suitable degree for you at “High Speed University” based on your interests