City council member wants to repeal Nuclear Free Berkeley Act

Berkeley City Councilmember Gordon Wozniak is working to repeal key portions of the Nuclear Free Berkeley Act – an act that blocks the city from dealing with anything related to nuclear power.

According to the San Francisco Chronicle, Wozniak has specifically targeted a part of the act that prohibits the city from granting contracts to or investing with any organizations that have connections to nuclear energy, including the federal government.

Therefore, the city is prohibited from investing in U.S. Treasury bonds and bills.

In a struggling economy, the city’s finance director should have more flexibility and options for investments, particularly conservative ones like Treasury bonds, Wozniak told the Chronicle.

Opponents of the repeal contend that nuclear weapons and nuclear energy still pose a threat to Berkeley and that the city should maintain its commitment to staying completely nuclear free.

The Nuclear Free Berkeley Act was approved by voters in 1986.

• On Aug. 6, 2005, I joined then-Prime Minister Koizumi and 55,000 others at Peace Memorial Park in Hiroshima, site of the atomic bombing 60 years before. That bomb was a tiny fraction of the nuclear arsenal threatening the world still today. It’s not in the daily news, so for too many people, it’s “out of sight, out of mind,” but if you care about ANY of the threats to the world today — global warming, economic crises, wars — the reality is, the nuclear threat today still dwarfs them all.

Japanese peace activists take great inspiration from Berkeley, including our Nuclear Free Act. It’s not just an anachronism of another era — it’s an inspiration for the CURRENT generation of activists in many places around the world, who have NOT forgotten the threat.

• Anonymous

Is the Berkeley city council aware that the city is now being blasted daily by a virtual tsunami of nuclear radiation–i.e. sunlight?  What is the city going to do about that?       :-)

• guest

These are the same irresponsible, narrow-minded people that wanted to kick the U.S.M.C. recruiting office out of their City.  They should stop focusing on things they have little or no control over (nuclear energy), and start thinking about fixing their own local problems.  Hey Berkeley, GET A LIFE!

• Guest

The Act was only a joke in the first place.  Berkeley has no way to be nuclear-free.