Photographer Spotlight: Edwin Cho, Day 4

Hey! I’m nearing the end of my week, but I still have photos to share with you! Today I’ll showcase some of my concert photography. Music is one of my biggest passions besides photography, so music photography was a no brainer for me. It puts two of my biggest loves together, how great is that!? Anyway, here are the photos.

Edwin Cho / Staff Photographer

This first shot is of Kevin Kim, the lead guitarist from The Nehemiah Band. They’re a smaller band from the Los Angeles area and they have a very unique sound. They blend elements from all kinds of music including soul, R&B, hip-hop, and rock…and they’re all Korean. Not that it matters at all. It’s just rare to see a (good) Asian-American band. They always put on an awesome live show and are always fun to shoot. I’ve taken photos at three of their shows and the energy they put off always results in great photos. This photo was taken with a Nikon D7000 and a 35mm f/1.8.

Edwin Cho / Staff Photographer

Here is Bay Area rapper, Mickey Cho (no relation to me). Although I haven’t shot too many hip-hop artists, I love doing it because of their body language and movement. As seen in both of these photos so far, concert photography is a lot more exciting when you capture the artist(s) doing something visually interesting. You have to convey the energy and emotion the artist had without the music. Body language, facial expressions, and other visual aspects are what separate good concert photos from great ones. In short, concert photography is all about capturing “that moment.” This shot was taken with a Nikon D7000 and a 35mm f/1.8.

Edwin Cho / Staff Photographer

Finally, this image is a detail shot of DJ Harper, guitarist for The Wiguna Project. They are a band from my home town, made up of three brothers and DJ. Getting detail shots like this one definitely add interest to photo sets of wide full band shots and other “typical” concert photos. I wish I had waited ’til he started playing in the upper register of the guitar to get this shot, but I think the photo still works as it is. This final shot was also taken with a Nikon D7000 and a 35mm f/1.8.

Tomorrow is my last day, and I will be sharing some more of my stobist shots!