Photographer Spotlight: Edwin Cho, Day 5

Today is my last day on the blog. First of all, I wanted to thank you all for checking it out and I hope you enjoyed it! Now, onto today’s content. As I talked about in my first post, I do some strobist photography, which is what I’ll be sharing today.

Edwin Cho / Staff Photographer

This first shot may not be too interesting, but it’s a good example of using strobes to balance out ambient light. The sun was setting and I was shooting into it. I would have gotten underexposed shadows on the shoes, but because I had a strobe lighting the shoes, we have even light across the frame. For this particular shot, I had a LumoPro LP120 strobe with a CTO gel to warm it up and match the sun light, shot into a reflective umbrella pointed down toward the shoes. The shot was taken with a Nikon D40 and a 35mm f/1.8.

Edwin Cho / Staff Photographer

Here’s a goofy shot I took of some friends. They wanted the photo to look like a slumber party, so I had to be creative with the light. If I just used ambient light, the room would have been bright (this was shot during the day), and not very slumber party-like. So, I killed as much ambient light as possible by turning off lights and closing curtains, as well as shooting at my camera’s fastest sync speed, which is 1/250 of a second. A quick strobist lesson here – shutter speed controls ambient exposure and aperture controls flash exposure. To light them, I had to use some external light source, hence the strobe. I placed a bare LumoPro LP160 on legs of the second guy from the left and hid it behind the (upside down) book. The flash was pointed at the book so it would reflect back and illuminate everyone. I took a shot, and it worked beautifully! The flashlight is not doing anything as far as illuminating them, it’s just a nice prop that adds to the overall look and feel of the photo. Many times, you’ll have to play around with the position of your lights, modifying light, changing the output power of your strobes, and whatnot to get the shot you want. This photo was taken with a Nikon D7000 and a Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8.

There you have it, I hope you enjoyed it! Once again, thank you very much! If you want to see more of my work, please feel free to check out my blog at www.edwincho.com!

• 3rdparty

nice , pity the book is upside down

• Excellent concept and execution of the slumber party image. I think Nike would like the product shoot too. Good work.

• Thaddeus and Allison Marcroft

Nice pictures Edwin! Love the slumber party pic. The lighting is great! :)