Rent board committee discusses how to make multifamily units more energy efficient

The city of Berkeley’s housing staff are working toward making multifamily housing more energy efficient and implementing a mandatory recycling measure throughout the city.

At a Rent Stabilization Board’s Safe and Sustainable Housing Committee meeting Thursday night, members discussed the latest draft of the city’s multifamily energy efficiency project, which aims to make it easier for tenants and property owners to their lower energy and water consumption and reduce their utility bills.

The project is a joint operation between the cities of Berkeley, Oakland and Emeryville and may be presented at Monday’s monthly rent board meeting. A workshop on multifamily unit energy efficiency will be held on Oct. 25 at the YMCA-PG&E Teen Center in Berkeley to teach property owners conservation tips and give them more information about the project.

Among other items on the committee meeting agenda, feedback from the 4×4 Joint Task Force Committee on Housing meeting on Sept. 29 involved the discussion of a city recycling ordinance that was made mandatory after Gov. Jerry Brown signed AB 341 — which creates “green jobs” by expanding recycling to every California multi-family dwelling and business — on Oct. 6.

The ordinance, which will require all residents to subscribe to recycling services by July 1 of next year, is set to be adopted by the city in January. In order to spread awareness about the ordinance, the committee plans to send out targeted mailings to property owners over the next year.

Anjuli Sastry covers housing.