Research center to open to students, researchers this spring

Li Ka-shing attended the dedication of the Center for Biomedical and Health Sciences, which will bear his name.
Kevin Ho Nguyen/Staff

With a snip of a blue ribbon and the beating of Cal Straw Hat band drums, UC Berkeley’s Li Ka Shing Center for Biomedical and Health Sciences was dedicated Friday morning in front of a crowd of over 100.

Beginning with a gift of $40 million from the Li Ka Shing Foundation in 2005, the 200,000-square-foot center will be open for classes in the spring semester and will provide lab space for over 450 researchers.

The building will also house centers focusing on brain imaging, stem cell research and the research of emerging and neglected diseases.

Li Ka-shing, one of the earliest donors to the project and the highest private donor, said at the dedication that he hoped his donation will allow researchers who have “far fewer resources and many challenges to surmount” an opportunity to engage in innovative research.

“I believe investments in high quality education are the best investments in improving the human condition,” Li said through a translator. “I know that your discoveries will bring significant change to our world and positive benefits for all mankind.”

The dedication comes four years after the UC Board of Regents approved the building, which was “designed to facilitate interactive, multidisciplinary research into the molecular mechanisms of human disease,” according to the regents’ documents. The campus then demolished the seismically unsafe Warren Hall in 2008 to make space for the new building.

Jonathan Thomas, the governing board chairman of the California Institute for Regenerative Medicine, who spoke at the event, said Li’s earlier donation provided a motivation for other private and public donors to step forward and support the center.

Out of the approximately $257 million budget for the project, about $75 million in funding came from external financing, about $53 million came from state funds and about $129 million came from private donations, with Li being the lead donor.

“Only with a giving heart can we propel positive change that lasts,” Chancellor Robert Birgeneau said at the ceremony. “Many thanks to Mr. Li, whose generosity is fueling a world-class research center that will allow our faculty and students to reach across disciplines and borders to create a healthier world.”

Birgeneau added that the center itself will benefit the faculty and students of UC Berkeley as well as bring together teams of researchers.

“This center embodies what is so exciting about teaching and research at UC Berkeley,” he said.

Other donors included the Wayne and Gladys Valley Foundation, the Ann and Gordon Getty Foundation and the California Institute for Regenerative Medicine.

Thomas said advancements made at the center could be on par with the discovery of the polio vaccine in terms of their significance to research into diseases.

“Things are happening scientifically at breakneck speeds,” Thomas said. “Great things … will happen in this building.”

During the dedication, Li was also awarded the Berkeley Medal, an honor bestowed upon individuals “whose achievements illustrate the ideals of the university,” according to Birgeneau. He added that the medal is the highest honor offered by the school.

“Mr. Li has devoted his time, energy and resources to serving mankind,” Birgeneau said. “Every project donation stems from his belief in the value of each human life.”

Mihir Zaveri of The Daily Californian contributed to this report.

A previous version of this article incorrectly spelled Li Ka-shing’s name in the accompanying photo.

• niuyd

It’s a pity that I missed Mr. Li on Friday, but reading the article is inspiring enough for me. 
    Hope more and more people could follow his lead.

• Root

Li Ka Shing’s philosophy is simply great, giving back to society when you come. Think it’s Cal’s honor to receive such gratuity. 

• gsf92

Great honor to see Mr. Li in person! And I believe we won’t let him down!

• Cathy

Mr. Li chose an excellant way to return the society, and Cal students will do it in another way by exploiting the Li Ka Shing Center to make enormous progress on curing incurable disease.

• Kelsi

The reason why Mr. Li dedicated this Center indeed impressed me. He gave back to society in a not only generous but also precise way, investing into high education.
    CAL students will definitely make something huge out of Li Ka Shing Center!! 

• Anonymous

A self-made man who is giving back to the world in a big way. Thanks Mr. Li! 

• ursa

I hope many others will follow Mr. Li’s example — great generosity to a great cause.

• Anonymous

Mr. Li has the right philosophy — giving back to make the world be a better place. His ideals and the ideals of Berkeley are a perfect match — service to the greater good for the betterment of all mankind.

• Anonymous

The Li Ka Shing Center has a beautiful design, plus a great view of the bay. This is a great new building on UC Berkeley’s campus for learning and enjoying the view

• Anonymous

Amazing that Mr. Li would choose UC Berkeley as a recipient of his philanthropy. Cal’s research benefits the global community and the gift from the Li Ka Shing Foundation further substantiates this.

• Anonymous

The new Li Ka Shing Center is fantastic.  What a great facility for students and scholars.

• joe

damn li ka shing is such a baller fuck

self made man

• Anonymous

University
    of California discriminates
    against Californians. Chancellor Robert J Birgeneau ($450,000 salary) displaces
    Californians qualified for public university education at Cal. for a $50,600 payment by a foreign
    student. The need for transparency at UC Berkeley has never been so clear.

UC Berkeley, # 70 Forbes ranking, is not increasing
    enrollment.  Birgeneau accepts $50,600
    FOREIGN students at the expense of qualified instate Californians.

UC Regent Chairwoman Lansing and President Yudof both agree
    to discriminate against Californians for the admission of foreigners. Birgeneau,
    Yudof, Lansing
    need to answer to Californians.

Opinions make a difference; email UC Board of Regents   [email protected]