Eight earthquakes hit Berkeley over past several days

Since Thursday, Berkeley has been at the center of at least eight earthquakes.

The first, and largest, was a 4.0 magnitude quake that hit just before 3 p.m. Thursday and was centered under South Berkeley, according to U.S. Geological Survey. The temblor was followed by three smaller earthquakes in the afternoon — a 1.0 magnitude quake at 3:02 p.m., a 1.8 magnitude quake at 3:09 p.m. and a 2.2 magnitude quake at 4:50 p.m — and a 3.8 magnitude earthquake that hit at 8:16 p.m. that evening.

According to the agency, no earthquake was centered in Berkeley on Friday. Just after midnight Saturday morning, a 2.8 magnitude earthquake shook the East Bay and was followed by two more smaller quakes within the hour that were also centered in Berkeley.

Although their epicenters were not in Berkeley, at least four earthquakes in the Bay Area and in Northern California were felt in Berkeley between Thursday and Saturday, according to U.S.G.S.’s response system that allows people to report if they feel a quake.

The Hayward Fault, from which all the earthquakes erupted this week, runs through the UC Berkeley campus and under Memorial Stadium.

The agency reported in 2008 that an earthquake of 6.8 magnitude or greater at the Hayward Fault is increasingly likely since the last major earthquake was 140 years ago and the past five earthquakes of similar magnitudes have been, on average, 140 years apart.

The most recent large earthquake on the Hayward Fault was in 1868 — an approximately 6.8 magnitude quake that saw the earth crack for 20 miles and killed 30 people, according to U.S.G.S.

If the 1868 earthquake were to reoccur today, the loss to residential and commercial property could exceed $165 billion, according to the 2008 report. The report also states that a major earthquake on the fault would affect more than 5 million people.

Soumya Karlamangla is the assistant city news editor.

• http://www.facebook.com/people/Roy-David-Woodward/100000056205613 Roy-David Woodward

Roy here again -Look, people, if you haven’t thought of it we are in the mess because we didn’t have brains and hindsight enough to AMALGAMATE like the Big Shots have -like the early Pioneers did. We played the me first game and look where we are in financial, moral and disaster nudges. We can help  you IF you can un-puppet yourselves and think  Co-operation and service to  others. Contact me fast, time is running out and you will  be hysterical, alone, whining, hurting with egg on your face as you see your loved ones looking up  at you -wondering…
    what’s next? Be a hero BEFORE the battle starts. Roy CEO The New American Pioneers Villages.

Better contact The New American Pioneers Party for news about their efforts to  develop safe haven Co-ops – small villages in Quake and Volcano  free areas. No  cost just labor after we get the property paid off. Free everything for thinkers who  are willing to  work 20 hours a week at what they are good at – No religious strings or complexities. Just Love, Truth, Beauty and Goodness.  Patriotism ala Jefferson and Paine spoken here. Inquire.  Rwoodward28@gmail.com

• Reeder415

Is there any chance this has to do with construction at Memorial Stadium?

• Cooper

Too bad the author does not indicate where the information is from for the maps shown in this article.  USGS shows this morning’s earthquake was centered just north of the stadium.   I understood the firstThursday 2:41 PM  quake was just outside Clark Kerr and the second in the evening was just south of the International House.

• Shizzle

the earthquakes will continue until Tedford is fired.

• Flexbhu

i live in Berkeley and am really concerned after reading this article. 

• calbear10

actually, this is usually good news.  Small earthquakes such as these are signs that the fault is giving off tension and lessoning the likelihood of the big one hitting anytime soon.

• wsp

big earthquakes are actually often preceded by smaller ones.

• Josephheidebrecht

wsp is correct. Activity surrounding the impending epicenter has been shown to go up in the months preceeding a major quake. The Hayward fault is due for a major quake right now, 140 years after the last one. Seriously people, get your supplies together and have an emergency plan.

Listen to  warnings. Father gives them through people and minor Disasters first BEFORE the Big Japan type hit America. Contact me for help if you are unable. ROY

• Cooper

Nope!  Small quakes do not release tension in the Hayward Fault.

• Somebody

Since we blew more than $3 Trillion dollars on fake wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, Berkeley will be SOL in the next major quake.  California is vulnerable to the next earthquake, but Washington is too blind, deaf, and dumb.  California needs to leave the union for it’s own sake.

• STO45

… and for the sake of grammar.

• Somebody

Citing someone’s grammar in an attempt to contribute something is RETARDED!
        Ask an English professor, it’s all about content.  If you comment someone’s grammar in their face, you would be going to an emergency room.  So by all means, show what a coward, pathetic, armchair critic you are.

• Real5

… I’d be going to an emergency room and you’d be going to jail, followed by prison. Have fun with your ass raping, tough guy!

• jubilee

ironic that this person calls others cowardly but resorts to anonymity when posting inflammatory comments online. I agree with several of “Somebody’s” points, but (s)he loses all credibility when resorting to calling others inappropriate names like retarded and threatening them with violence in response to a comment on grammar. Control your rage and take it elsewhere.

• http://pulse.yahoo.com/_WRACM77JT2RXUR3LMGDPPUGUYY Tony M

[Since we blew more than $3 Trillion dollars on fake wars in Iraq and Afghanistan]

Somehow I don’t believe that the family, friends, or fellow servicemen and women of those who died in Iraq and Afghanistan believe there is anything “fake” about those wars…

• Somebody

Just because soldiers die doesn’t validate or authenticate a war.  You’re using some backwards logic, a “I fart therefore I am.”  People die all the time, it’s how they die that defines them.  Soldiers deaths are collateral damage in the big picture of foreign policy.  Someone’s got to be the pawns on the chess board, mostly it’s gung-ho alpha males being force fed an endless loop of two planes hitting the trade towers that got them into this mess, signing up to fight a bankers war, dying before they are old enough to drink alcohol.  How many sons and daughters of Halliburton execs are in this fake war?  You need to destroy before you can offer to rebuild.  These companies only make money during times of war, peacetime is sending their stocks down because they’re not selling anything war related.  Kindergarten economics duh. 
        The veterans that came back, some less than whole, have yet to receive a clear cut answer from the President as to the meaning of the wars.  Saddam Hussein was caught in Iraq and allegedly in Pakistan-not Afghan so was OBL.  Enlisting to a war while noble, is still optional.  People died on both sides because leaders misled them.  If you actually talked to a family or friend of a servicemen, they will say it was an error both military and foreign policy-wise for the last ten years.  We created a new generation of hatred in the Middle East the Western world will have to deal with chronically.  There’s no guarantee the area won’t destabilize overnight after withdrawal.  No military force has the resource to babysit until eternity.  For years we were told that withdrawal would be impossible, a setback to the “war on terror” but conveniently timed for a re-election campaign, the soldiers are ordered to come back by year’s end.We know now that saying WMD exists when it doesn’t exist is wrong.  In time, as many predicted, the conflict, not a war declared by Congress, was unethical and wrong.  We have no authority to shoot our way into a sovereign soil justifying our foreign policy.  Sun Tzu would say a prolonged war is a losing war.It is still a fake war.  Lots of lives were lost, and like in Vietnam, more so on the host side.  In military lingo, “theater of operations” describes in a dark humor kind of way, that wars are like concerts, moving across the land to define one president’s legacy.  If you haven’t been paying attention lately, there’s a huge unemployment problem back in the country and politicians are not able to guarantee these soldiers jobs, so don’t act all surprised these soldiers are sent to Pakistan and Iran for another so called “war.”  And for the bobble heads at Fox News to package and sell this bullshit to conservative panic whores like you.

Just because you sugarcoat bullshit doesn’t make it candy.