Occupy Oakland protesters march through streets of Downtown Oakland, vote to strike

An Occupy Oakland protester was arrested at the 12th Street BART Station in Oakland.
Kevin Foote/Staff

Several thousand Occupy Oakland protesters met peacefully in Downtown Oakland Wednesday night — the day after clashes with police led to to the use of tear gas, rubber bullets, flash-bang canisters and several arrests and injuries.

At about 6 p.m., the protesters, who occupied the Frank Ogawa Plaza starting Oct. 10 until their tent city was dismantled by police early Tuesday morning, met in the amphitheater between city hall and the plaza for their daily general assembly meeting during which they decided to hold a general strike next Wednesday. The proposal to strike was approved by 1,484 of the protesters present — well over the 90 percent required votes.

Details of the strike —  in which protesters plan to encourage workers throughout Oakland to leave work and march with them, as well as students and those who are unemployed or homeless —  will be sorted out at Thursday’s 5 p.m. meeting and over the course of the week.

Although the plaza was fenced off at the beginning of the night after being cleared and sanitized by city officials, protesters quickly removed the fences and neatly stacked them around the area.

Oakland resident Jhumpa Bhattacharya, 34, attended Wednesday night’s meeting saying she hoped to march with protesters for the first time after seeing the images of violence from the night before.

“The police brutality last night emboldened me to come out and see what was happening,” Bhattacharya said.

After the meeting, many participants headed to San Francisco after hearing that the Occupy SF camp located at Justin Herman Plaza might be raided by police later in the night, while others marched through the streets of Downtown Oakland for several hours to show solidarity for the Occupy movement that has been sweeping the nation and world.

Throughout the night, speakers in Oakland reminded the crowd that Occupy Wall Street protesters in New York City were marching in solidarity with the Oakland movement, and that the entire world was watching Oakland. Prior to the general assembly meeting, a speaker announced that Occupy Wall Street had voted to donate $20,000 to Occupy Oakland.

“This is a really pivotal moment,” said UC Berkeley senior Elizabeth Graham, one of the organizers of Occupy Berkeley who attended Occupy Oakland last night. “It’s important for people to come out and support each other’s occupations.”

Graham and several other Occupy Berkeley protesters headed to San Francisco after the meeting to support the occupation there.

By the end of the night, at least four protesters had set up a tent and blankets on the plaza, saying they planned to spend the night and restart the occupation.

Officers from the Oakland Police Department were present throughout the night in the vicinity around the protest, but had little direct interaction besides one instance when two people were arrested in the 12th St. Oakland City Center Station BART station after protesters tried to raise the gate to enter the station. Nearby BART stations were temporarily shut down until later in the night.

• [If you can provide enough for your family: food, shelter, clothes,
    transportation, medical needs, education, entertainment and travel,
    retirement, and what not…then you’re merely a hoarder of money that’s
    leftover.]

Proof positive you understand NOTHING about basic economics or capital investment. You’re no different than the idiots who decided that storing seed for future planting and dry years was “hoarding”, then wonder why starvation took root after they implement confiscatory policies.

History is full of people like you who thought they could do better, but only created disaster and suffering in their wake. You think you got it all figured it, but in reality, you are a fool and a dupe.

• Somebody

Your comments are a weak attempt at constructive criticism as you are blinded by greed and unchecked capitalism has in fact cause the ruination of a young country.  Your pathetic whines and name calling showcase your immaturity.  Everybody on dailycal and Cal campus openly mocks TonyM as the retarded one. You live in a fantasy world, so for you to attack other people’s reasoning makes your comments entirely idiotic.

• Somebody

BART Police, man they don’t F-around, they are liable to shoot first and ask questions later.  What taser?  Those guys think they’re james bond and all license to kill.  In the end, these silly cowboy-police attacking the protesters end up in jail, the agencies pay out millions in settlement, and we start all over again.  The overtime ain’t worth it if your family has to relocate due to death threats and former cops don’t do so well in prison.  These rent-a-cops need to go get a real job.  Glorified hall monitors with guns.

• [The overtime ain’t worth it if your family has to relocate due to death threats and former cops don’t do so well in prison.]

Are you making threats against law enforcement individuals? And BTW, BART police ARE real cops…

• Somebody

Were you living under a rock during the whole time the Oscar Grant trial was underway?  Mehserle was working during NYE and premeditated/claim to have mistaken a taser for a pistol.  The defendant had to relocate his family due to threats, he ended up in jail, he’s basically screwed inside or outside of jail, so don’t take people’s comments out of context to disguise your own ignorance.
        BART police have little jurisdiction outside BART grounds, they are poorly trained, they’ve completed the bare minimum college credits and state’s 6 months of training.  So to lump them with officers who are war vets who’ve seen real battle, have experience in verbally calming down a situation, who doesn’t shoot an unarmed man, has the full support of the union to pay for all legal representation, has more than 6 hours taser training, and know the difference between a taser and a pistol is just STUPID.
        Feel free to counter with more disinformation.

• From the BART PD web site:

The BART Police Department is comprised of 296 personnel, of which 206 are sworn peace officers anywhere in California. Its chief of police commands the department that is BART’s sole law-enforcement entity and provides the full range of police services. To prepare for major emergencies, critical incidents, and tactical responses, the department is a signatory to the Bay Area’s mutual-aid pacts and has teams of highly trained officers for tactical response and/or crisis negotiations.” http://www.bart.gov/about/police/index.aspx

In other words, they are sworn police officers, NOT “rent-a-cops”, meaning they have actual police powers, and CAN perform police duties off of BART properties, regardless of your personal opinion of them. That’s the point I was making that you apparently can not refute.

• Somebody

I don’t need to refute your stupid comments and your biased quotes.  You have too much time on your hand, pathetic loser.

• I have to laugh at these Occupy Oakland types calling for a “strike”, given that most of them don’t even have jobs…

• Somebody

Maybe most of them are protesting because the “job creators” have sent their jobs overseas and are not paying higher taxes?  That they manipulate governments to cheat the middle-class?  Or that the top 1% for the last 3 decades have increased their wealth at near 300% -CBO. fueling this nations anger and resentment?

You embarrass yourself with empty snide comments as a pathetic attempt to appear relevant, and completely devoid of intellectual integrity or original thought.  What is most appalling is your complete detachment with reality and zero empathy to your fellow countryman who have done you no harm.  I suspect you are a bastard child suffering from delusions of grandeur, perhaps a history of substance abuse as well, in any case you come off as a complete jerk and is rewarded with the loneliness that you try to fill by posting on the dailycal.org.  Your immaturity will lead you in and out of prisons until one day you grow a pair and jump off a bridge in a response to society evolving too fast and too different around you.You can always count on dumb-ass Tony M, Bill O’Riley’s bitch trolling on dailycal.org with his asinine conservative comments on a liberal site!

• [Maybe most of them are protesting because the “job creators” have sent their jobs overseas and are not paying higher taxes? ]

Ever consider that many of the jobs “sent overseas” are the result of excessive taxation, regulation, litigation as well as unrealistic demands from Labor Unions?  Or is it easier for you to blame business for all the problems in this country? As far as taxes go, the top 1% of all individual income earners already pay close to 35% of all individual federal income taxes. The top 5% pays 50%, while the bottom 50% pays only 3% of all income taxes. Why should those on the top pay any more? If anyone needs taxes raised, maybe it should be those on the bottom who vote for politicians to give them handouts, but pay no income taxes at all? People voting themselves taxpayer-funded goodies while having no skin in the game are a bigger contributor to our fiscal debacle than rich people not paying enough taxes.

Or that the top 1% for the last 3 decades have increased their wealth at near 300%

If you have money to invest, then you had better increase your wealth or you’re doing a crappy job of investing. Increasing ones wealth by 300% is a 4x increase.  Over 30 years, that would be the equivalent of 4.73% interest/increase compounded annually. You really think that’s some sort of outrage? If so, why don’t you explain how people invest for retirement?

[What is most appalling is your complete detachment with reality and zero empathy to your fellow countryman who have done you no harm.]

I have plenty of empathy for the real working people in this country – the ones you diss because they don’t share your uber-left-wing views.  I have little empathy for the professional Marxist agitators, race hustlers, illegal immigration advocates, union thugs, unemployed malcontents, clueless student types, and the rest of the detritus found in these Occupy Whatever protests.

[I suspect you are a bastard child suffering from delusions of grandeur, perhaps a history of substance abuse as well, in any case you come off as a complete jerk and is rewarded with the loneliness that you try to fill by posting on the dailycal.org.  Your immaturity will lead you in and out of prisons until one day you grow a pair and jump off a bridge in a response to society evolving too fast and too different around you.]

Thanks for the amateur psychoanalysis, and another fine example of the usual foaming by those who have lost the argument. However, for the record, my parents were married, my “substance abuse” consists of the occasional beer or iced coffee drink, I have no criminal record, and I have evolved fast enough to change career paths at least 3 times in my adult life and still be quite gainfully employed and a productive member of society. OTOH, clearly you are following the paths of the geriatric 1960’s set who thinks that protest and confrontation with authority figures is the most productive path to change. Maybe you should look at yourself in the mirror before making blanket statements about others?

• Somebody

The jobs sent overseas, as much as 90% of manufacturing jobs, with the government as the official scapegoat for their hostile corporate tax policies, you can not deny the pull factor was stronger than the push factor: no unions, cheap labor, lax environmental laws, exponential stock performance…these corporations get to have it win-win while American citizens have it lose-lose: no jobs+healthcare, decline in union power (that sent the most Americans to affordable colleges), inferior/toxic products and higher recalls, and trade deficits with China.  Your amateur economics is a joke.  It’s clear you just regurgitate whatever Fox News tells you about percentage brackets.  You can’t tax the people on the bottom, they live paycheck to paycheck, often relying on food banks, churches, and food stamps to stay alive.  They would love to one day be independent enough to stroll into a Whole-Foods aka Whole Paycheck to buy for their families, but they can’t.  These people pawn off their family heirlooms to feed the top 1% controlling the utilities.
          Your suggestion, for people who have enough money laying around to further invest to grow even bigger their asset I FIND REPUGNANT.  If you can provide enough for your family: food, shelter, clothes, transportation, medical needs, education, entertainment and travel, retirement, and what not…then you’re merely a hoarder of money that’s leftover.  Democracy thrives when the rich engage in philanthropy/pay higher taxes, and lift the down-trodden out of their troubles.  What the hell do you think Carnegie and Gates Foundations have been doing all these years?  Your attitude only encourages these Paris Hilton/Kim Kardashians types: “I’ve always been rich, so I must stay rich.”  The greediness that you profess is the undoing of this country.
          You disagree with pretty much 99% of the people in this country, the 10% unemployed in this state alone (higher in Nevada), the progressives that will liberate this nation from the chains of capitalism run amok.  You will only be content if you live on a little island in the middle of the ocean far away from people willing to express any dissatisfaction at the status quo.  
          So big deal, you got a “productive job” as an engineer and served in the Air Force, that doesn’t put you anywhere near the 1%!  Are people who don’t have jobs automatically not productive?  What about volunteers at the local library teaching children to read or ESL at an adult school for new Americans, I’m not getting paid, am I not productive?  As a true Berkeley student, I serve the community knowing corporations are unwilling unless there is some marketing angle to play.  
          Since you equate money directly with success, I know the next time you find yourself unemployed and low on funds, you will understand what I am saying.
          You must have flunked American History as the Civil Rights Movement in the 60’s, that you disregard as frivolousness, was completely necessary for the Union to be compliant with the Constitution and Bill of Rights.  Protests and confrontation with authority figures netted tremendous change in the social dialogue that we enjoy because someone spoke up.  FYI, Dr. MLK Jr. has a monument next to Lincoln and Washington, I don’t see yours.
          Go live in a country like China, a de facto police state, you’ll be happier there.  All conformist, all censorship, just your type.  You do your Air Force a dishonor attacking the views of liberals exercising their constitutional right.

It’s so easy for you to belittle the have-not.  All you care is that there’s a roof over your head and food in your belly.  You speak as if you are somehow immune to unemployment and financial bad times.  Have you been drinking from the Cain kool-aid?… “If you’re poor, blame yourself.” So the next time you are unemployed: just blame yourself.  You were too late to the OCCUPY party that saw a corrupt system that catered to the 1%.It would be very difficult for you to make your claims if you were chronically unemployed (there goes your health coverage!) despite earnest efforts to remain employed.

• Somebody

• Do you ever try to make a coherent point, or do you merely babble ?

• Somebody

I write more than you can read.  So do  inflate your ego unnecessarily with silly one-liners.  Child.

• don’t touch my PIMP CUP!

tony is a bald, middle-aged, douche-bag sucking on Fox News teat.  Go back to your gay tea party tony, leave the real revolution to the big boys.  I hope he likes the taste of brass knuckles, cuz I serve ’em hot and fast.  San Diego, here I come.  Time to shut this fucker once and for all.

• And the usual lefties share their own stereotypical view of the world. Sorry, Junior, I have a real job and pay real taxes, and the vast majority of my co-workers and associates, regardless of their own political views, agrees that this Occupy Whatever group are a bunch of unemployable misfits and malcontents seeking attention.

• Itsonlyright

“Several thousand Occupy Oakland *PATRIOTS* met peacefully in Downtown Oakland Wednesday night”
    “By the end of the night, at least four PATRIOTS”

Patriot is a person who loves, supports, and defends his or her country and its interests with devotion

• Which would eliminate these neo-Marxist ass-clowns…

• Good God, people of Oakland!  Stop f–king around with these losers and sweep their asses off the streets!

• Anonymous

I agree with your sentiment, but beg to differ on tactics.  These losers have too many guns and are far too dangerous for that.  It would probably be suicidal to even try and get them off the streets.   It would also be wrong.  Not only  would that be responding to violence with violence, but it would only be a temporary solution at best and they would probably just respond by bringing even more cops into town.  It is probably a better idea to simply cut all taxes and remove their funding.  Forever.  Just bankrupt them.  Starve the beast as they say.  We’ve coddled these losers long enough and it’s about time these parasites on the American taxpayers lose their cushy jobs “protecting and serving” and be forced to get a real job like the rest of us.  They could all get jobs as honest and hard working stock brokers, bankers and hedge fund managers and we would finally be rid of them once and for all.   America can blossom into a social darwinistic tax free paradise that is finally free of the chains of minimum wage, teachers unions, social security and pollution controls.  Rational self interest and ever increasing stock values would guarantee wealth and prosperity for all.  

But, thanks for supporting the 1st Amendment.  It is important to always remember that our founding fathers found freedom of speech so important that they not only enshrined it in the constitution, but listed it Number One.  But, they, of all people, did know tyranny first hand.

• Crow

uhh, flashbang grenades against american citizens protesting sure sounds like they arent fucking around…

This is not america….